Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Top Scores & Personal Records?

• 01-02-2007 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Suppose it's bound to be started at some stage.

Whats your top score and have you any personal records?

I'm currently on a top score of 170 (should easily have got more out of that game, but i'm a bottler).

Managed to get four strikes in a row a few weeks ago (have seen 3-in-a-row a few times, never a four though). Was delighted.

Practically guttered the next ball though. I was sickened. Probably because I had an audience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

top score is 191, that was years ago, using a bloody house ball. I've my own ball now, and I haven't beaten it yet, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

Top score was around 212 or so... cant remember rightly...

Average would be 140-ish. this was 7/8 years ago though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

See here :) (thread created before the forum was approved).

My top score is 265, nine strikes in a row, but at that time I had a 208 average. I had a huge audience at the end...most of the regular league crowd. :)

I was encouraged to begin a new game "to get the 300" so I stepped up and put the first ball straight into the gutter :( Completely bottled out :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

My highest score is a 197 and highest 3 game series is a 497.
    Just started league bowling last September so my average is constantly adjusting, i think it's somewhere between 125-130.

Killian

I'm not in a league, but is it easy to join the ALSAA, the bowling place in the airport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

My highest score was 268. Never been near it before or since though (maybe a 210/220 an odd time).
    It included a split 8 open frame, then a 9-spare, then 9 consecutive strikes and a 9 to round it off.

It attracted a bit of a crowd at the time. Sadly, the printer was broken, so I never got the physical proof.

It was a few years back though, and I'd be happy with 160+ today.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

my top score is 244 and i think i can remember the frames
    8- 8/ 8/ then finished on 10 strikes in a row

admiralgar wrote:
    my top score is 244 and i think i can remember the frames
    8- 8/ 8/ then finished on 10 strikes in a row
    I don't think those frames add up! You've an extra shot in there somewhere. Only 9 strikes possible after those those openers.

It would be 8- 8- 8/, then 9 strikes to give you 244.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Highest was 258. Four times, with four different balls, in four different centres over the course 15 years. Averaged 181 last time I was in a league two years ago.

My real claim to fame though is 9 consecutive nine-sapres.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

cast_iron wrote:
    I don't think those frames add up! You've an extra shot in there somewhere. Only 9 strikes possible after those those openers.

It would be 8- 8- 8/, then 9 strikes to give you 244.

your probably right, it was years ago and i cant exactly remember the way the game went

• Advertisement

I've decided to sticky this as it would be great to track everone's progress.

I don't expect to beat mine for a while but of course I'm expecting to see the rest of you reporting 300 games very soon...but Wii Sports Bowling scores don't count :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

My highest score was a 257 in a 720 or so series. I was bowling out of my skin at the time. So much so that I bowled scratch for about a third of a doubles league. That wasn't so bad until some smart-ass in Crumlin decided that the lanes needed to be oiled at 8:30pm just before the doubles league started. Well, lets just say my team-mate was not too happy with my performances after that. "I told ya not to be showin' off at the start of the league". We never bowled together again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Hit a 186 the other day. 5 strikes, the rest spares and one 8-1 split. And there wasn't a drop of oil on the lanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I bowled a 199 last night in league.
    I had one open frame in the 7th or 8th that should really have been spared.
    I spared the 10th frame and only needed 5 pins to get 200, of course I ended up losing concentration and only made 4 pins.
    To say I was gutted would be an understatement.

Killian

Hey congrats anyway man :) Cool! :cool:

conZ wrote:
    Hit a 186 the other day. 5 strikes, the rest spares and one 8-1 split. And there wasn't a drop of oil on the lanes.

well duuuh! Any idiot can play on dry lanes. :D;)

K!LL!@N wrote:
    I bowled a 199 last night in league.
    I had one open frame in the 7th or 8th that should really have been spared.
    I spared the 10th frame and only needed 5 pins to get 200, of course I ended up losing concentration and only made 4 pins.
    To say I was gutted would be an understatement.

Killian

I guess you got a touch of the heebie-jeebies, or the yips, or that guy was on your shoulder screaming "You'll never bowl a 200 game. Never. NEVER, EVER, EVER." :D

Hard luck. Keep it up. You'll do it soon and then it'll be like second nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

top score is 258 dont know how i got it, it was a few years ago, i think i got 4 strikes in a row, knocked a few pins down 4 more in a row and then knocked another few down

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ive scored 211 a long time ago. i dont play anymore, and i was never a grat player anyway.
    i did play 2 games about 4 months ago and i got about 95 in the first and about 160 in the second.
    and then we played a third where all i did was spin the ball. all i got was whiplash of the wrist and a bunch of 9s :)

its always a game ive loved, but ive never really got around to playing as much as i would have liked. if that makes sense.
    maybe i might make more time for it in the future. i think id like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 glen290

I hit 266 last season, started off with 9 strikes, and when everybody stops to watch, it gets a bit nerve racking, unfortunatly I bottled it and left it open.
    Highest this season so far is 246, still plenty of time to go to beat that though.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I've had 1 offical 300 game. In 1998 I bowled a the first ever 300 game in Metro Bowl (formally known as the Strand Bowl) North Strand, Dublin 3. did it while playing in a Trio's league. I've had a few "unofficial 300 games" all witnessed by friends and more importantly my wife (g/friend at the time). The Strand was home for me for nearly 10 years. I shed a tear when the doors finally closed. I passed it on the train a few weeks back and couldn't believe the building work More recently I've called a halt to the game. Some day soon I will return.

^^^W00t :D

The first 300 on the score chart :) Nice one!
    I'd say you should definitely try to attend the boards bowling night!

I do think it's a pity that so many bowling alleys have closed. Crumlin was the same, we got all of their regulars coming to Palmerstown when they closed the Crumlin bowl.

Good to see a pro among us:D .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 WildFox

High score: 275ish(too long ago to remember)
    High series: 750 in a 3 game series

Best Achievement: Played in World Championships

Ok Im done now

I just bowled in Palmerstown for the first time, the lanes are wood! I was really not used to it, but I still beat my previous 3 year best score by 4 points lol, I bowled 195, got a few people's attention when I got 4 strikes, 2 spares and then another strike, after those frames I lost concentration from people watching/staring at me. WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE TO LOOK AT YOU WHILE YOU'RE BOWLING? I could've gotten over 200 if I wasn't aware that people weren't watching :-/

Nice one DEmeant0r, 195 is a good score! What ball are you using?

Palmerstown is my old stomping ground, I used to work as mechanic and lane maintanance there, meant I got free bowling back in those days :) I still prefer wooden lanes to synthetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Highest score is 250 ish. 7 strikes in a row or so (cant really remember the details as it was about 8 years ago).

Once bowled 10 games in one hour and had an average of 220 ish.

Tend to be quite hit and miss...can get near enough 200 or not break 100...depends on the lane and if i can find a suitably weighted house ball with holes big enough for my stubbie fingers.:)

saw a guy out in bray get a 11 strikes in a row and then an 8 on the last. he had a huge crowd around him. They even turned off the arcade machines. (I believe he made 300 a couple of days later)

r3nu4l wrote:
    Nice one DEmeant0r, 195 is a good score! What ball are you using?

Palmerstown is my old stomping ground, I used to work as mechanic and lane maintanance there, meant I got free bowling back in those days :) I still prefer wooden lanes to synthetic.
    My ball is in Dublin and I'm in Galway atm, wish I could tell you the exact ball number/model but all I can say is it's an ebonite and it's purple :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

usually bowl a gentleman's 40.
    highest was 211.

and i bowl in the worst alley in ireland. clonmel.

i got a 300 on the nintendo wii sports if thats any good?

• Advertisement

and i bowl in the worst alley in ireland. clonmel.

Clonmel isn't that bad! It's fairly modern if little small...and I'm not sure how well the lanes are cared for as I don't bowl there often enough. I have bowled there twice in the last year though and I've bowled in worse places! :)

Advertisement