Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netopia Wireless Hub/ADSL Routers for €24.99 in PCWorld

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Can this be used as a wireless bridge?

I want to connect my xbox/pc to one of the four ports on this router and then connect wirelessly to my exsisting network.

Can it be done with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

For those who get broadband from NTL/Chorus, Satellite or Wireless such as Irish Broadband and Digiweb Metro etc., you MUST have at least an ordinary router before you can use the netopia router as a full access point. The netopia wireless router only works on its own if you have DSL.

If you don't have DSL and don't have an existing router, the netopia wireless router will only be useful as a switch/WLAN. Internet access will not be possible without the ordinary router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

has anyone got port forwarding working on this router for bittorents

i followed this guide but its not working

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netopia/2247NWG-VGx/Azureus.htm

Edit sorry i just had to lower the firewall setting and all worked fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Anyone know if they have these in Dixons Jervis Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi,

Has anyone got one of these working with UTV internet?

Any idea what the settings should be? Appart from the usual PPoE user name and password...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

flanzer wrote:
    Sorry, Meant to say Dublin area

PC World and Harveeey Nomans Airside have plenty of them.

• does anyone know where i can pick up one of these bad boys??? Need one badly. Will thiswork on dsl digiweb??

does anyone know where i can pick up one of these bad boys??? Need one badly. Will thiswork on dsl digiweb??

Firstly Thanks to SpongeBob for rooting out this bargain.

And to answer your question Priscilla Rich Pedestal, I picked one up this very evening in Dixons in the Jervis Centre.

The empty box was sitting on shelf to the left of the laptops.

The guy said he had 2 left.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Hi,

Has anyone got one of these working with UTV internet?

Any idea what the settings should be? Appart from the usual PPoE user name and password...
    I was wondering the same myself. I have not tried it but the settings for UTV are:
    Driver: PPPoE
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Set up type: LLC

DNS Servers (server assigned):
    Primary: 194.46.192.141
    Secondary: 194.46.192.142

Tell us how you get on!

Thanks also to Zwartsj for the BT DNS settings which I know he went to some trouble to obtain and so saving others having to do so.
    Just including them again for the sake of completeness:
    Pri: 192.111.39.1
    Sec:192.111.39.4
    BTW: Router IP Address is:http://192.168.1.254

• Advertisement

Finding Bitlord performance drop from the Zyxel 623 to the Netopia 2247.
    Am unsure what settings are causing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

OK, shoot me for being an idiot!

But I have been trying to set this up as a wireless router only, without success...

I have a Zoom X5v modem/router which has a built-in VoIP adapter, so I want to keep using it as the modem.

I have connected the Netopia to the Zoom with the eternet cable but I cannot access http://192.168.1.254/

I just want to establish a wireless connection to a Game adapter on an XBOX mediacenter.

Any help please!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Do-more wrote:
    OK, shoot me for being an idiot!

But I have been trying to set this up as a wireless router only, without success...

I have a Zoom X5v modem/router which has a built-in VoIP adapter, so I want to keep using it as the modem.

I have connected the Netopia to the Zoom with the eternet cable but I cannot access http://192.168.1.254/

I just want to establish a wireless connection to a Game adapter on an XBOX mediacenter.

Any help please!

Firstly, try to connect a pc/laptop directly to the Netopia and nothing else. Change your PC's ip to a static addy of 192.168.1.X. Now check that you can connect. If you cant connect do a factory reset and try again.
    If you can connect, make sure to turn off DHCP and set to bridge mode, then connect the Netopia to the Zoom and check.

Just a thought, is the default ip of the Zoom 192,168.1.254? You cant have two same ip's on your network.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Cheers degsie, will try that this evening!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Hi,
    bought one of these and it works fine except the signal is just a tiny bit too weak.
    Any tips on how to extend the range.
    Are there higher gain antennae I can purchase? If so, where.

I've heard that 802.11b signal travels further so I've dropped to 802.11b but still just too short.

I see that the US version of this router has an output of 200mW as opposed to 100mW. If this were controlled by firmware is there a US firmware out there that would work?

Alternatively any cheap Wireless adapters for a notebook out there with an aerial on them?

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

yes, firmware flashes have worked for that purpose ,

you may be alternatively able to get at it by a telnet to 192.168.1.254

and then command line access , use enter to select a command and return to confirm and esc to exit a menu

you can get the radio power doubled at least or even trebled

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

i am looking to buy one of these but there is not ay left in PC world galway.Anyone know if there are any left somewhere else or any one selling one of these

OK. I've bought two higher gain antennae and they'll arrive in a week or two.

Any more info on upping the output in the meantime via telnet or firmware flash?

i am looking to buy one of these but there is not ay left in PC world galway.

1. did you ask at the counter ??
    2. did you try currys ??

I did ask at the counter i did not check currys on my way now to have a look.If not there i would be still looking for one.

ill keep you informed

• Advertisement

• I got one in PC World in Liffey Valley. There was a big Eircom Promotion there on monday. I gave them the number which was supplied on the first page of this blog. It didnt work, I then got nervous and told them that I was on the phone to Eircom Tech support that morning. They then did a line check again and it just came up that service was not guarenteed. I told them that if it didnt work i would return it. That was all cool. I would say though just give any number of soemone you know or something and that will work

Repect!!!

If they must have a number then give them 018049680 if you live in Dublin , I would be amazed if it failed , at least I think I would be amazed :p

according to the telnet session it appears it is set to "full" transmission rate already out of the box.

cheers lads I just picked one up from currys, bit of a problem setting up .I cant get past the eircom screen http://192.168.1.254/ . i am using ntl 3mb line.

I followed the instuctions given by the poster but its not working.i have a cable going from the box I got from ntl to the netopia box and another cable from netopia to the laptop.It says in the corner I am conneted .

Anyway I enter the username eircom and password broadband1 but one of the errors say s dsl is down.Does any one know what the problem could be?

Also when I go to enter the new name and password do I have to the the one ntl have or can I just make one up?

dsl is down as you are ntl, turn off dhcp server in netopia in favour of ntl box dhcp server and use as wireless/wired switch only connect to ntl box with crossover cable and it will pick up ip addresses there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Alright the firmware may increase the output if someone finds the firmware I will happily test :P

firmwares and manuals

http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/2247w.html

tell them you are in the us when you fill the form any zip code will do

us firmware permits higher wireless output by 2x or even 4x

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sponge Bob wrote:
    firmwares and manuals

http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/2247w.html

tell them you are in the us when you fill the form any zip code will do

us firmware permits higher wireless output by 2x or even 4x
    I updated using that firmware and found no difference in wireless output. It did cure the occasional freeze up that required the modem to be rebooted.

went to settings>controll panel>admin tools>componet services>dhcp manager> and I turned it off(disabled.Is this correct?)

ethernet from ntl to netopia with crossover to laptop correct?

Thiink I am wrong with disabling dhcp please can any one correct me?

When I do this i am conected to the net but I cant go to the eircom website http://192.168.1.254/ IE says can not find sever and firefox says connection timed out?can I change the password and usermane to what I want?Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement

if you are connected to the net then note the ip on your pc, assigned by dhcp from the ntl box, which will be 192.169.1.51 or 192.168.1.52 (or whatever, it could be 192.168.0.37 ) and assigned by dhcp from the ntl box.

your netopia should have a nearby ip such as 192.168.1.50 or 192.168.1.53 as it ALSO got an ip by DHCP from the ntl box .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement