Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netopia Wireless Hub/ADSL Routers for €24.99 in PCWorld

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Whats the range like on these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

HungryJoey wrote:
    Its the same with alot of products bought at DSG, they may ask for your details, These are only used for warranty reasons or Reciept look-ups ( I'm an Ex DSG colleague )

This, and another reason for checking the number is to avoid customers coming back angry when they discover their line at home isn't suitable for broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Gauge wrote:
    This, and another reason for checking the number is to avoid customers coming back angry when they discover their line at home isn't suitable for broadband.

Thats what the guy kept saying to me that they cant sell without checking that the is suitable for broadband.He also told me that there is no return on them.Got mine set up in a matter of minutes with BT.Seems like a really good product.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I saw someone asking this question earlier, but only the poster's second question was answered. Anyway, can this be used simply as an access point? I have a linksys wireless router and wish to extend wifi coverage to 2 rooms currently not covered.

I was thinking of plugging an ethernet cable into the netopia box and then connecting this to the linksys box. I'm thinking it should work if I can switch off NAT and get outward HTTP and DNS requests sent to the linksys.

Is this idea a runner?

Edit: Had a look at this and from what I can understand, it seems that I can. Happy days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

I saw someone asking this question earlier, but only the poster's second question was answered. Anyway, can this be used simply as an access point? I have a linksys wireless router and wish to extend wifi coverage to 2 rooms currently not covered.

I was thinking of plugging an ethernet cable into the netopia box and then connecting this to the linksys box. I'm thinking it should work if I can switch off NAT and get outward HTTP and DNS requests sent to the linksys.

Is this idea a runner?

Edit: Had a look at http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/technotes/CQG_028.html and from what I can understand, it seems that I can. Happy days:)

lol somehow that link goes to this.com :D i think you made it wrong.. ah well..
    id actually be interested in doing the same as you... using this as another wireless router.. but do you have to be with eircom to get one? also i was in pc world the other day and didnt see them on display anywhere.. do you have to ask about them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Load's of them in PC World, Sligo... When I say loads, I mean a full shelf load!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

scads in Galway on saturday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Firstly, the link is fixed now, but I discovered it's irrelevant anyway.

The bloody thing works as it is!!! It's forwarding internet traffic to the ethernet port which is connected to my current linksys router!:)

All I did was switch the DCHP off. I was expecting a lot more than that and a possible telnet session. Btw, I get Digiweb FWA broadband which only has an ethernet interface. The DSL light is flashing as expected and the internet light is off.

I can't be certain if there was some particular feature feature about the linksys which made it work. I'm going to try my D-Link ordinary ethernet router later on.

So far, so good. Behaving exactly like an access point and combined switch, all for €25. Thanks eircom!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Thanks Sponge Bob. Picked one of these bad boys up today in PC World Airside @ €24.99

Great bargain. Works a treat.

ambrose :cool:

EDIT: To_be_confirmed, I got it working as an AP aswell. I switched off DCHP and it just works.

Hey guys, know this may be irrelevant, but I am getting Chorus Broadband next week, but to have wireless I need to buy a wireless router from PC World or somewhere in order to connect my MacBook to the internet. Would the aforementioned product fit the bill. Apologies for my ignorance, I have taken a few years out from the technical side of computers and interent, so I'm a bit hazy!

• Advertisement

if it works with digiweb FWA as described 2 or 3 posts back (IE with dhcp turned off) then probably yes. It can easily be gotten rid of if no.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All I did was switch the DCHP off.
    So far, so good. Behaving exactly like an access point and combined switch, all for €25. Thanks eircom!!:p
    qft :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Picked one of these up in Blanchardstown today,thanks to the op.
    I'm using it at the moment after replacing my Zyxel from BT.
    One question about wireless(as its my first time).When trying to set up a network,even though I am a BT customer,I choose the Eircom option in the network list right?

Also when I get to WEP its asks for a password.Thats the first encyption key in the advanced wireless setup on the router right?

Sorry but I'm a complete novice with wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭nupplenits

Couldnt find these in PCWorld galway yesterday... Do I have to ask or should they be on the shelves?

nupplenits wrote:
    Couldnt find these in PCWorld galway yesterday... Do I have to ask or should they be on the shelves?

There were a couple of empty display boxes in PC world in Blanchardstown where I bought mine today,although they were empty.I brought the empty box to an assistant and asked for him to get me one.

The display boxes took a bit of finding as they are promoting a couple of different routers in their sale which they had stacked up near the entrance.

In Galway they are at the very back and in a box like this

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/46516/36265.jpg

ADOX, you obviously got into the menus

for encryption avoid WEP which can be a pain to set up

set the encryption to WPA and give an 8 character (minimum is 8 characters IIRC) password (a key)

yoru laptop should detect wpa is enabled and ask for this key and bobs your uncle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

i can't see if someone already said this, but can this physically connect by usb too, or just ethernet?

want to connect it by usb to a main pc (it's ethernet port is already being used to run a network) and just use the wireless for things like game consoles/laptops

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I
    ADOX, you obviously got into the menus

for encryption avoid WEP which can be a pain to set up

set the encryption to WPA and give an 8 character (minimum is 8 characters IIRC) password (a key)

yoru laptop should detect wpa is enabled and ask for this key and bobs your uncle

Thanks alot. 26 characters is quite alot to be entering.

the corpo wrote:
    want to connect it by usb to a main pc (it's ethernet port is already being used to run a network) and just use the wireless for things like game consoles/laptops

its a 4 port ethernet hub as well as wireless.

cool, i think i can make it work 8)

so, my next question, who;s going to get it for me ;)

nah, are there any left in the dublin branches?

• Advertisement

currys and dixons also have it.

ooh, wonder if dixons in jervis have it! will ring em in the morning, thanks for the info!

deadly. got one in dixons jervis st. they did try and get me signed up though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Qwertyboy

I just have a few questions to ask so I don't end up buying one and it not working.

1. My computer was made in 1999 so it has no ethernet port or no wireless capabilities (i think). Can it still work? If its any help I currently get my broadband from BT using a ZyXEL Prestige600 router connected through the PC's USB port.
    2. Has anyone tried connecting their PSP, Wii, or DS to it?
    3. Are you under any contract from buying the package?
    4. And finally, Is there anything else I should know?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :cool:

circa 1999 usb is often capped at 1.2 Mbits , slower than the package in some cases.

if you have win 2000 or win xp on that old PC then buy a network card in maplin/pc world type places fo about €15 - €20 or find one/ ask for one on www.adverts.ie , a 3com would be good if on offer, say a common 3com 3c905 model as the operating system will pick it up straight away . even windows 98 may pick it up

frankly usb is pretty useless and buggy and old usb is worse so get a network card is my advice to you

there is another eircom box package in PC world which is for €19.99 and has a usb modem, I am not aware of the model or how to stop it dropping all the time . its in a smaller box than the €24.99 one . the usb modem has no wireless built in .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Qwertyboy

Thanks very much but i don't think im prepared to do that.Could someone please differentiate for me the difference between a modem, a router and an access point. Are they all the same things?

Qwertyboy wrote:
    2. Has anyone tried connecting their PSP, Wii, or DS to it?

I own a psp and a wii and both connected without a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Was in Harvey Norman Airside early this morning and picked one off the shelf. The only sales assistant in the dept. practically sprinted across the floor to head me off getting to the till with it, said I couldn't just buy the box, I'd have to sign up there and then, said "No thanks". PC World weren't open till 10am and I couldn't hang around so I'll have to try again another day...:(

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Do-more wrote:
    Was in Harvey Norman Airside early this morning and picked one off the shelf. The only sales assistant in the dept. practically sprinted across the floor to head me off getting to the till with it, said I couldn't just buy the box, I'd have to sign up there and then, said "No thanks". PC World weren't open till 10am and I couldn't hang around so I'll have to try again another day...:(

No! Thats wrong! You call eircom using the number quoted on the box. Not sign up in store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

No! Thats wrong! You call eircom using the number quoted on the box. Not sign up in store.

Try tellin' him that! His name was David, your welcome to go in and slap him in the face for me!:D

invest4deepvalue.com

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement