Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway Model Car Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I'll be racing with mine, hopefully anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,501 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Flunked wrote:
    I think that may of been a problem on teh protypes or something... never heard a thing about microwave ovens doing the damage.
    Wireless networks work on 2.4ghz aswell

Also, I think most people who have spektrums race rather than bash so unless someone brings a portable microwave oven or something to work off there car.. I highly doubt problem there:D

Well, I was thinking that it should be ok out in the middle of a field. But what I was meaning was that if he was just messing up and down the street and someone happened to turn on a Microwave...!! :eek:

I race it on the street most of time. I asked a lad of msuk forums and more or less said no about the interference.

Right basically they laughed at me:D The microwave storey must be a myth.
    I might get it late this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

It works on the same free to air frequency and licencing as WIFI, 2.4Ghz open spectrum band!!

Come on lads, you should know this stuff :P

As for the microwave, you would have to have the controller right next to the thing for it to interfere as the spektrum has frequency hopping to adjust for any/all interference recieved, and also has a built in failsafe, just set it before running!!

I have really got to unpack my 2 spektrums and try to use them someday :P

• Advertisement

are they the pistel one's?

Yeah, I have 2 x dx3's and 3 x recievers!

Have em since the summer but have never gotten out with them!!!

Would you like to sell?:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I had a go with a Spektrum myself a few weeks ago.

The 2.4ghz is suitable where many users are hogging the frequencies, and the Spektrum automatically pics a new frequency, on switching, on from the many unused frequencies.

But my mc-22 has synthesiser tx and rx, so I just type in any new channel I want and there it is for me in about 2-3 seconds. For now I would prefer a quality conventional sustem with synthesizing capability.

I can say (after trying both) I prefer the Graupner-JR mc-22S, more channels (10), more memories, far more sophisticated software, mixers, and controls. I voted with my pocket and bought one.

The Spektrum seems to be designed as an alternative to beginner computer radios when you look at the features it contains. It would be fine for most "normal" uses.

These things aint cheap, especially when you get screwed on VAT getting em here :(

I would never make back what I paid for em!

• Advertisement

Coolwings, for flying, yes, but for cars, its one of the best available in pistol grip at the moment!

Did you get them from tower? i can only find them in msuk. selling?:D

Ebay, all the way from the USA!

Slim
    Let us know what you think of your Spektrum when you get yours up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

The Spektrum seems to be designed as an alternative to beginner computer radios when you look at the features it contains. It would be fine for most "normal" uses.

Not necessarily so, many of the top 3D heli pilots in world have started using the Spektrum DX7 and have reported many advantages over the conventionally radios. One of the biggest advantages being the response time between the stick and the servo. Also, no more flying with the incorrect model in memory, as each model in memory will be locked to its own Rx.

Hope to have a DX7 in many hands in the coming weeks to check out.

If you succeed in getting a license to use this technology in Ireland the radio license (see Comreg's website) will refer to a fixed location. That is you have a right to use it in a registered place, and only there.

A scale heli flier can require 8 channels if the model has everything. I guess the vast majority of heli fliers are actually flying with 5 channels and don't use the sixth at all. So the makers choice of providing 6 or 7 channels indicates clearly who these particular radios are aimed for.

The European distributor says they are intended for indoors, slow flyer, and micro heli pilots and only recommended for parkfly models.

I was impressed by the twin receiver.

The twin antenna wires are beautifully compact and make the receiver most desireable.

The signal identification and binding process between transmitter and receiver is a desireable one, and attractive particularly if you have a multitude of opersons present who want to use models simultaneously.

OTOH I was disappointed by the servo quality - I did not use them, I base that on my visual inspection.

The one I looked at had 10 model memories.

The battery was 600 mAmp.

In my humble opinion I would compare it to a 6 channel computer set which also had added safety features eg PCM - although the mechanism whereby the added safety is provided is not PCM of course - it is the identifaction of unused twin frequencies.

More interesting 2.4 Ghz sets will undoubtedly appear at a future date (possibly this year?) but I think it is still emerging technology at the moment.

I think I will keep my 10/12 channel 30 memory 3000mAmp battery Graupner-JR mc-22S for the time being!

But keep us updated please.
    For myself I certainly want to stay up to date on the relative advantages and disadvantages of both systems.

coolwings wrote:
    If you succeed in getting a license to use this technology in Ireland the radio license (see Comreg's website) will refer to a fixed location. That is you have a right to use it in a registered place, and only there.

The licence is only needed for 5.2Ghz, 2.4ghz is an unlicenced band!

I see the 7 channel version now has better servos supplied, and also they upgraded the battery in the tx.

However I cannot see an extension of modellers insurance to cover the use of this waveband in the near future.

We have already started the ball rolling and have submitted a request to get the frequency recongnised for flying. Some how I think it will take some time, will keep you posted. May here about it in up coming MACI meetings or newslettters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I picked up a DX2 for a great price off the bay few months ago, but I never saw any mention of Microwave/Bluetooth/WiFi interference as an issue. Range limits are usually in comparison with aero radios, not land radios. The DX6 is also becoming popular with Scale fans who can use the extra channels for lights/winches/gears/SFX etc. One of the things that pissed me off with running the 27FM radio was the reluctance of other racers in buying a second set of crystals. Is that still a problem in the FMCC, Vectra?

If I can use a 2.4G radio in a wireless networking application without a licence, why do I need one for my Spektrum?

• Advertisement

2 Espressi wrote:
    One of the things that pissed me off with running the 27FM radio was the reluctance of other racers in buying a second set of crystals. Is that still a problem in the FMCC, Vectra?

We dont seem to get much of that anymore to be honest. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

syl77 wrote:
    We have already started the ball rolling and have submitted a request to get the frequency recongnised for flying. Some how I think it will take some time, will keep you posted. May here about it in up coming MACI meetings or newslettters.

Syl77 could you please pass me on details on how i should go about requesting to have these controller recongnised, something my club needs to look into to make sure it is legal to use so as to cover are asses for club and national races.

Hi mugenextreme, were going through MACI to get it recognised, not sure how you would go about it with surface models. We mainly need it for insurance purposes...

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

its insurance reason i am trying to find out for too

For those interested... as of last Tuesday, the 2.4Ghz Spektrum DX7 radio was legalised. This means that only the Spektrum radio (at present) is ok to use the 2.4 GHz range. As other manufacturer start to bring out there own version (like Futaba has), Manuals/specs will have to be sent to the Dept. of Communications so they can also be cleared. There shouldn't be much hold up with radio makes now that Specktrum has got the all clear.......

I notice alot of things run off that freqancy, wireless modems etc.

Yes, some do, however, 2.4Ghz radios are meant to use all of its channels by means of hoping through them all at such a speed that no interference or lock out is observed. In theory you could have up to 100 radios transmitting with out any lock out. You just have to bind the radio to the receiver before use.
    There has how ever been some threads posted that the radio causing some interference with some 2.4 GHz video downlink systems!

Is the 12th of Aug. next race date in Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DirtRacer

Sunday 5th we have an open day from 10.30 and to try and draw some attention to our hobby from passing Galway Races visitors, as we are at Mother Hubbards on the main road N6 Galway to Dublin.

Monday 6th is a club Round.

12th August is 2nd Round of the Irish Nationals for 1/8th IC Buggy all are welcome truggy's and trucks can race in a separate heat €10 race fee for all entrants (day membership included):D visit our site for more info,

http://www.modelworld.tv/clubmodelworld/galwaymodelcarclub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭danicm

Mr Ben wrote: »
    If Are there any new drivers within travelling distance of Galway please feel free to come down to racing at Mother Hubbards Oranmore on Sunday's from 10.30am till about 2.00pm depending on weather, beginners very welcome!

Long shot as I know this thread as been dead for many many years, I recently got into the hobby and I'm looking for off-road tracks around Galway. I don't think this track exists anymore right?

Advertisement