Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First post Wh00t!

Options
  • 08-12-2006 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭

Wh00t! It's been a while since I've done that!

Good luck with the forum.

Bah! Vex beat me to it by a minute! If it wasn't for a database error I'd be in there like a shot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The man beat you to it. :) I call Junior Vice President! Best of luck with the giving up of zee smoking chums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

The idea for creating this very board has been shot down so many times in the past.
    So they finally cracked eh?
    Wonder what changed their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Good luck with the new forum, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

@donkeystyle
    The idea for creating this very board has been shot down so many times in the past.
    So they finally cracked eh?
    Wonder what changed their minds.

I saw this referenced in the thread requesting this forum also, and am wondering where this impression comes from. This was the first time I have seen this forum requested, I found a request from 2004 with little support but nothing else, any chance you could point me a few of these threads so I can see what the reasons were in the past.

Thanks

V.

• Advertisement

Vexorg wrote:
    any chance you could point me a few of these threads so I can see what the reasons were in the past.
    tbh I couldn't be bothered rooting around for old threads, not with the search feature the way it is.
    As I recall from the older thread no reason was ever given, just a blank 'No. End of story.' then later threads were pretty much ignored by the admins.
    I'm not sure if we even had a 'Forums' forum at the time... you might find it on Feedback somewhere.

This is what I found.

Feedback - Oct 2003 - Ex Smoker forum is requested - Declined

Forums - 8 Sept 2004 Members helping members - 5 yes including the OP, last post on thread 11.09.04 - thread moved to declined/approved 22.08.05

Current thread - approved.

Forums forum created May 2004

Vexorg wrote:
    Feedback - Oct 2003 - Ex Smoker forum is requested - Declined
    Yeah that sounds familiar alright...
    I am seriously wondering if we need a forum to support [ex-smokers] and those trying to stop smoking.
    The thread ended with what I thought at the time was a very abrupt no.
    I was left with the impression that Dev didn't want to touch this topic with a barge pole.
    Maybe I took it up wrong, or maybe I'm talking out of my arse... it certainly wouldn't be the first time for either.

Kudos on the forum anyway.

No probs, I occasionally see similar comments on other threads, some I can understand where boardies might think we could have an issue , legal highs - and Hemp related forums:), others like giving up smoking I dont understand where the perception comes from. I was just curious to know if there was a History or reason why the forum was not created.

Like most things, as boards evolves, things change - I could see us removing certain words from the word censor for instance, as online etiquette changes and the use of this language online catchs up with the way it is spoken everyday.

V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

great to see this board up and running

• Advertisement
Advertisement