Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Support for those quitting smoking

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

It's Monday morning. how you doing Squire ?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Hay Pal, I was wondering if you were still around. You still off the weed?

Yep, I'm glad to say I made it through the wall and am now clean. It feels great to say that I am a non smoker.

The withdrawl symptoms have nearly fully receeded now. I am starting to think about other things than ciggies. The weekend was difficult with Saturday being particularly hard having a few early evening beers out in the garden sunshine.

I have been sleeping really well since I gave up which is strange as the last time I went through about one month of very bad insomnia. I would definately reccommend cold turkey over the patches for this reason but basically whatever works for you is best.

I've already noticed my sense of taste and smell have improved. (I must wash the dog;) ) I have not started coughing yet so I'm wondering when that might start. I was out for my usual run last night and noticed a big improvement in my breathing. Sweated very hevily for some reason, maybe my body is getting rid of the poisons (sorry for being graphic:p )

The next stage for me now is to break the mental habbit. This will take a bit longer (forever really) but the saying "you're only a puff away from 20 a day" and the fact that I failed at this the last time will help.

I'll keep in touch from time to time but I feel the worst is over. The long hard slog starts now.:D

Best of luck to all those starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

squire1 wrote:
    Hay Pal, I was wondering if you were still around. You still off the weed?

Still here. Still off too. 9 happy weeks later.

Well done to you Squire. I'd suggest to take it easy now for the next few days. Don't get compacent and think you can have a quick one and fall back into the trap. Just relax and keep your guard up.

One of nicotine addiction's clever subtleties is to for people to stay clear for a few days and get a cocky 'I can take it or leave it attitude'.
    You can't.
    But the good news is you're on the home straight big time.
    Your hard work is done.
    Take a bow and hold on to what you got now.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

It’s been a week now since I became a non smoker. The physical addition seems to be completely gone now but the mental addiction is still there. I keep finding myself in situations where instinctively I reach for my cigarretts before realising I don’t have any.

It’s both a good and a bad feeling. Good because I realise that I can do without them but bad too because I miss smoking a bit also. I miss the instant hit you get, I miss the social aspect of it but most of all I miss the five minute break you take to go outside, chill out and have a smoke.

I realise that these feelings are just part of the addiction and each time I overcome them I am closer to being clean but at the same time it’s like loosing a close friend. I had being smoking 20 a day for nearly 20 years so smoking was as much, if not more, a part of my life than any of the people I know including my wife and kids.

I’ve developed a bit of a sweet tooth since I gave up and have being doing some reading up on it. Apparently this happens because of the effect that smoking has on your blood sugar levels. Something to do with the oxygen in the blood and the ability of your body to take a sugar hit from the blood when required. Apparently smokers loose this automatic control of blood sugar levels and it has to be retrained. So when I feel like eating something sweet it is because my body has forgotten how to take stored up sugar from my body. The problem with this is that eating a chocolate bar takes 20 to 30 mins to effect the blood sugar levels and because a smokers body is used to the instant hit that a ciggy gives then they continue to eat more and more chocolate until the blood sugar begins to rise. This is how reformed smokers put on weight. The trick is to just eat something sweet and wait the 20 or 30 mins for it to take effect and not stuff your face. I bought a packet of boiled sweets and they seem to be doing the trick.

So anyway, onwards and upwards, I’m still as determined as ever to stay of the cancer sticks. I picked up a friend from the airport last night and he handed me 200 Marlboro Lights. It felt great to say “Sorry, I’ve quit. Fancy a boiled sweet?” In fact, I think I’ll make that my new motto.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭curehead

i quit about 4 months ago and already feel like a non smoker i cant remember the date. i like so many in here tried unsucessfully many times over the years , but the key this time was what someone told me , he said it was a mind trick you had to convince your mind that you will have a cigarette but not today and continue to do this so when your body craves cigarettes you say i will give you one tomorrow ok but not today and keep doing this until the craving subside after a few days 6-7 . Worked for me :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I was in the UK at the weekend at a wedding and out in the pub a bit. My voice is still sore from the passive smoking, I was also coughing up grey crap as if I was a smoker still sunday and monday morning. All I can say is that I am so glad that I don't smoke anymore and while I disagree with the smoking ban on a few levels I am definitely happy that I don't have to inhale other peoples smoke on the very few occasions when I do find myself in a pub these days.

I'll be off them three years on the 26th of January 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 circuit

Only gave up smoking cos I was sick and couldnt smoke. But luckily I havent smoked since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

I remember in Spring of 99 I got a dodgy Chinese that put me off smoking. Afterwards I used to smoke a couple of ciggs when out and 18 months later I started smoking every day again. So if your gonna quit it has to be 100%. No kidding yourself about only having a smoke when your out.
    In Sept 2003 I was ill for a few days and didn't smoke much so I decided that I would attempt to stop.
    I found that the physical cravings weren't too bad although I had a lot of trigger events to over come, eg when driving,on coffee breaks. Smoking ban certainly made it easier.Over time the effects wear off. I'd say after 3 months I knew that I would not go back and I have never had even a pull from a ciggy since.
    Its the best decision any smoker can make. You get back your life, money and you don't stink of ciggys. I didn't realise how much they stunk a person until I stopped.
    Oh and I had smoked for 17 years(12 when I started!!).Both parents smoked as to all four of my sliblings. I would hate my kids to become smokers, addicted like I was for years.
    Best of Luck to all that are attempting to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Beach Head

JackieChan wrote:
    So if your gonna quit it has to be 100%. No kidding yourself about only having a smoke when your out.

Dead right. 32 years old and smoking since I was 15. On about 10 a day now, the longest I ever managed to stay off them was 3 months, even then, having the odd one here and there, that is always my downfall.

I have two kids under 3 and want to be around when they grow up. Just got myself checked out by the doc and joined a gym. Bit of a mistake really. Doc says everything is perfect (Including lung capacity) and I wanted him to say "quit the fags or youre dead!"

Anyway, trying to quit all the time now, its just that I like to smoke too much. There is no logical reason to continue smoking but I cannot stop, I use every excuse under the sun and keep putting off my quit day "I will stop next week" I am off them since Saturday night and have no problem in work going without, its when I am at home I have a problem not going out to the patio, looking at the sky and taking a drag. Ah well, this has been sort of therapeutic. Best of look everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Moved to the new Giving up smoking forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Archeron

Hi all,
    Great to see this forum up and running!
    I thought it might be a good idea as a post to see what has helped other people give up smoking already, as it might be a good indicator to other folk who wish to kick the habit too, and who want to see what methods out there have a good number of fans!

To kick it off, I'm off them a year, and good old hypnosis got me to this place. Woohoo!
    What about anyone else? Good, bad or indifferent experiences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I'm off smokes three years this new years day.

What made me give them up was the death feeling at parties ,the morning after while waiting for a taxi.
    Life is short ,don't make it shorter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Well I haven't quit successfully so I won't vote, but two people I know quit using patches, two other people found hypnosis worked perfectly, and the other person quit with the cold-turkey/will-power method.

I've tried and failed a few different ways, I guess it's different for everyone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I stopped in December 1999 after I realised I was seriously considering going out in the lashing rain at 2.30am to walk a couple of miles to the nearest 24 hour shop for something that was killing me, making me stink, making me wheeze and costing me money.

I haven't smoked one since.

7y 1d 17:01 smoke-free
    127,948 cigs not smoked
    £38,384.40 saved
    1y 2m 2w 5d 06:20 life saved

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm off them for over 9 years now (30th august 1997 - the day before Princess Diana was killed). It's great. 60 Major a day for years. I still miss them but I could not have done it without Nicorette chewing gum :). I was addicted to the stuff (i.e. the Nicorette) for six years and still buy an odd packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭Ardent

That poll is incomplete without an "Allen Carr" option. His Easy Way To Stop Smoking got me off fags twice now. I voted "Other".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Ardent wrote:
    That poll is incomplete without an "Allen Carr" option. His Easy Way To Stop Smoking got me off fags twice now. I voted "Other".
    so it really only got u off them once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Off them almost 4 years now, from 20 Marlboro red a day. I cut down gradually, first to 20 B&H a day (hey, I said gradually...), then down in number to 15 or so, then Camel Lights, gradually down to 10, then to Silk Cut blue, then down to 6 or 7 a day, then dumped them for good on December 30th 2002 at 11:58 or so p.m.

I have the odd drag now and again when I've had a few pints, but very rarely a full cigarette. The daily addiction part is beaten (although I gave myself a couple of years off them before I even took a drag).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Off them since april wohoo and was a bit of allen carr and a bit of me!!!! Got the book but just went to the last chapter and read that as everybody kept going on about this last chapter and here i am cig free for the longest time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I'll be off them 3 years on the 27th of this month. I used patches and a hell of lot of will power :)
    The hardest part of quitting for me was simply getting out of the habit of smoking. I was 24 when I quit and I'd been smoking for about 9 years so it was well part of my daily routine at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I'm off them nearly 7 years . Decided to quit when buying 40 a day - used a drug called Zyban ( Not sure if its on the market anymore ,. You had to get it by prescription. Worked a dream- stops you having craving without a nicotene substitute. 9 wk treatment.

Would have spent 30K on cigs if I hadn't stopped!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I quit at the beginning of February this year (over the last couple of years I went from 20 a day to having the odd few during the week in the evening only, then 'binge smoking' at the weekend when having a few drinks) and I used Nicorette gum initially. I didn't stick to the proper programme and switched to regular chewing gum after about a month because I couldn't stand the taste! I also drank a lot of bottled water (from the bottles with the 'sports caps', I think there was something psychological about the shape of it). Both definitely helped stave off the cravings. And although I rarely get cravings these days, after a few drinks you will probably find me chewing furiously on a piece of Wrigley's extra - in fact I can get quite panicky if I run out of gum!

Some of my friends laughed at me when I came back from Spain in the summer with bag full of chewing gum (they have all the lovely fruity Orbit flavours over there that we don't get here; watermelon, cherry etc) but I explained that it was my equivalent of bringing back duty free smokes :)

Very pleased with myself for quitting and not even tempted to start again as the pros are just too good; lung capacity much better, skin has improved, sense of taste is sharper, I don't stink like an ashtray anymore and hopefully I've added a couple of years to my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

"other"- nicotine tablets. The patches and gum would have been useless to me. I only smoked while drinking so they would have got me more addicted than ever! the gum is far to slow to take effect so it may have helped but the pills are almost instant, you stick them under your tounge and they enter the bloodstream very quickly. I only needed to take about 5 pills ever and was off them no problem. For about a year afterwards I would have one in my wallet. I remember the last craving I had, just about to give in and took a pill, craving gone instantly so I spat it out. Never smoked since.

I think they should be subsidised, or the tobacco companies should be forced to provide them free somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

just stopped one day.
    didnt like them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

'other' again - Alan Carr - would really recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

silvo wrote:
    'other' again - Alan Carr - would really recommend it

Me too! It should be an option in the poll, I voted other.

Off them over 3 years now and never have so much as a twinge for one now!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Alan Carr has now been added as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Backspace

Off them 36 hours ish.... since Monday morning when I decided to quit

I was off them before, well over a year. Back on them about a year or so. Simply can't afford to do it any more. First it was the smoking ban now the Bloody tax man. Smokers, were a dieing breed!

Give them up the last time by will power, cold turkey what ever you want to call it. For some reasons the worst day was 3 days in, then 3 weeks and finally 3 months. don't really know whay that was.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

and stickied.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fuct

'Giving Up Smoking' forum and a chuck norris forum, bandwidth to burn lads...

..on topic, dont give up its ace.

Advertisement