Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on MGB GT....

• 08-11-2006 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All

I'm new to the forum and very impressed with the information that's been made available. Really useful

As i'm thinking of buying a vintage MGB GT, probably just over 30 years, 74-76 with rubber bumper, can anyone give advice on how to find a good car. I am aware that rust on these is deadly and the sills are critical. Budget is 2-3 k and can do basic maintenance. Would also like webasto roof (Do these leak?) Is there any other important areas for rust, is the windscreen area important or easily remedied for example...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭mustang68

I was looking at a few of these for a friend, the things I noticed were :

rust under the car and in the boot area, pull up the carpet have a look.

Electrics in all of the ones I looked at were between terrible and fire hazard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Eric318

Webasto roofs leak.

So much could be said... You really should join a club and get one the MG magazines.

In the budget range you are mentioning, you will only get rusty cars I am afraid :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dasher

Basically every part of the MGB's are prone to rust but especially the boot area, sills, seams around the windscreen and boot and the headlight area. All expensive to get sorted properly.

I have a Feb '75 chrome bumper model. This was the very last made. You will find it hard to get a '74 rubber bumper but you will still have '75 and '76 to choose from.

For 2K I think you will get a bucket. For 3K I think you will be very lucky to get a good one but it is possible in the UK if you are not too fussy.

Once they are going I think they are very reliable but if you don't buy a daily driver then you could have big bills ahead as one that has been lying around for any length of time will require work.

If you do not have a garage I would not buy one with a webasto roof.

There is a great buying guide at the following location.
    http://www.mgexperience.net/library.php#buy

PM me if you would like a drive in mine. I'm in North County Dublin.

Dasher, I am in North Dublin too (Malahide). I've got a 75 Roadster. How about a get together this weekend? A neighbour (cute girl) also has a lovely red Roadster.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

I'm thinking of buying an MGB - can I come drive yours ;0

I'm thiking of buying a porsche or lambo, anyone got one of them I could try out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dasher

No problem green-blood. I've always wanted a shot in a cooper.

Eric, would like a meet alright. PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

+ point...everything available, even a new bodyshell

- point ...everyone and their dog owns one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

Hey Ron,

Guess you are not interested in the one i have for sale,to cheap I guess.
    Should have ask for more:).Rust bucket its not,It had all the new sills,new doors,new wings f/r.full lenth sunroof v8 alloys and I cant even get 1500 for it.

Looks like another one bites the dust.Hope you find the one you want....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

Hey Ron,

Guess you are not interested in the one i have for sale,to cheap I guess.
    Should have ask for more:).Rust bucket its not,It had all the new sills,new doors,new wings f/r.full lenth sunroof v8 alloys and I cant even get 1500 for it.

Looks like another one bites the dust.Hope you find the one you want....

Do you still have that, Mitchomagic ? I'm thinking of laying up the MX5 in Belfast over winter, I'm in Dublin more often than not so would be interested to take on an Irish-reg MGB. Have never had one before (only Triumphs)

Hey Dasher, was nice to meet up on Saturday!! So we do it again next Saturday? We could do that leak on your clutch cylinder...

Folks, there are 5 MGs in the 1 mile radius in Portmarnock! Any others want to show their wares next Saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

Hi Franksm.

Yep still have it,Shoot me on your email and I can send some photos.

Cheers MM

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Eddie444

Hi all . As a newbie here and going to be a priveleged owner of an mgb gt 1971 I had a question regarding the old metal fan blade they have.my question is , does the mg need any upgrade if it's been driven in the Irish climate I.e upgrade to a plastic or electric fan ?. Any help would 've much appreciated to assist me on my new journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Eddie444 wrote: »
    Hi all . As a newbie here and going to be a priveleged owner of an mgb gt 1971 I had a question regarding the old metal fan blade they have.my question is , does the mg need any upgrade if it's been driven in the Irish climate I.e upgrade to a plastic or electric fan ?. Any help would 've much appreciated to assist me on my new journey.

No, not really, the Irish cliamte aint much different to the British climate these cars were designed in and drove for many years in. You can add extra's like Kenlowe fans to the rad, oil coolers, uprated radiators etc but essentially the best place to start is to flush the whole cooling system, make sure the rad isnt beat up; if its not too bad a good descaling and flush would help and see how you get on after that.

Advertisement