Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Horrific Car Crash in Wexford

• 12-10-2006 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭

Another fatal crash in the region.Is this that cross at Mother-Hubbards that this happened? That crossing is deadly dangerous in my opinion- they narrowed it at each side to make it even worse, always cars taking riasks trying to get out on the main road there.

http://www.unison.ie/breakingnews/index.php3?ca=9&si=99708
    Mother and two children killed in Co Wexford car crash
    07:17 Thursday October 12th 2006

A young mother and her two of her children have been killed in a horrific road crash in Co Wexford.
    The 24-year-old woman, her three-year-old son and one-year-old daughter died just before 9pm last night when the car they were travelling in collided with a truck on the N25 between New Ross and Wexford.

Another child and an adult man who were also travelling in the car were taken to hospital after the crash and are in a critical but stable condition this morning.

The driver of the truck was treated for shock.

Gardai say the road will remain closed until at least lunchtime today and are advising motorists and particularly truck drivers heading to and from Rosslare Port to use alternative routes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

mfitzy wrote:
    Another fatal crash in the region.Is this that cross at Mother-Hubbards that this happened? That crossing is deadly dangerous in my opinion- they narrowed it at each side to make it even worse, always cars taking riasks trying to get out on the main road there.

That's the same junction alright - I don't know the exact mechanics of the accident but I can't imagine many countries whose Road Authorities (presuming its the NRA responsible as its the N25) would take a junction on a National Route, with a staggered junction (one of whose roads leads to a builders providers & a truck stop) and a 100km/h limit, and narrow the road, make it more difficult for traffic turning either off or onto the main road to do it safely. Farcical. There's a similar junction on the entrance to New Ross from Wexford - the N30 meets the N25 and there are crashes there several times a week - cars getting flipped over and all. Supposed to be putting in a roundabout there. Sometime before the elections I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Dilbert75 wrote:
    That's the same junction alright - I don't know the exact mechanics of the accident but I can't imagine many countries whose Road Authorities (presuming its the NRA responsible as its the N25) would take a junction on a National Route, with a staggered junction (one of whose roads leads to a builders providers & a truck stop) and a 100km/h limit, and narrow the road, make it more difficult for traffic turning either off or onto the main road to do it safely. Farcical. There's a similar junction on the entrance to New Ross from Wexford - the N30 meets the N25 and there are crashes there several times a week - cars getting flipped over and all. Supposed to be putting in a roundabout there. Sometime before the elections I expect.

Its ridiculous alright. In other countries you generally would have a grade-seperated junction (i.e. flyover type junction) on a busy junction like that. But as usual the cheap-skate option is taken in this country, with the result we have so many accidents at junctions like this. Instead you have to take your chances pulling out of such junctions.
    I pass that road a bit I can't fathom wtf they removed the side lanes from that junction, and filled them in with hard-core and kerbing. Mind-boggling..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭upthere

Was a bad one alrite. The thing is there was sliproads at that junction a few months ago so if you were turnin left for ross, u cud get into it so it was kinda like a hard shoulder, i think it was the same when u were headin right for wexford. So when people pull out in front of you now you gotta slow down to the speed they are going.
    This crash was the worst I've heard about this year to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I use that junction quite often, it was always a poor one due to the traffic generated by the truckstop/filling station but now its deadly because as noted the hard shoulders/turn areas were removed - WTF??????

Anyway sometimes I now use the "old road" junction when coming from Taghmon side heading for Wexford, its quieter.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

I pass that junction often too and agree with the comments above regarding the disappeared feeder lanes.

Last week one gimp pulled out right in front of me as I was heading for Wexford and I had to stand on the brakes to avoid smacking him up the rear, thank Allah for ABS!

• Advertisement

The thing is, on the actual wexford papers a few months ago when they were doing road works, the heading was something to the effect of "'new junction layout going to cause major accident"". We all knew it was gonna happen but I guess the expectations were correct! Im sure there may have been a financial benifit involved for the council maybe in my opinion. Or maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

From reading the local paper, it appears that the mechanics of the accident were as follows:
    • Car exiting from Mother Hubbards junction
    • First truck slowing in lane heading towards New Ross to turn in to Mother Hubbards
    • Car started to pull out from junction as truck was slowing
    • Second truck, following immediately behind first, pulls out past first truck to avoid being slowed
    • Second truck hits car broadside

If that's how it went, its even more evident that the loss of the turning-off lanes were a significant influence on the development of this accident. Dreadful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

FFS! Thats exactly what I suspected (and is why I use the old junction). The response from WCC will proberly be something asinine like rumble strips and 60kph signs.

Mike.

Makes me very angry at the council. I have no faith in them and I think they are practically useless!!
    As for trucks, I am sick of so many hauliers on the road. I know we need them, they are necessary, but the roads in this country are not fit for different types of vehicles. Trucks and cars on N25 are a disasterous combination.
    I think the gardai need to check haulier drivers tachos more often, because I have have a sneaky feeling that these laws are constantly being broken!! In the UK every 20 miles or so you have a service station for truck drivers to pull into, and the cops expect hauliers to take adequate brakes.

This crash was horrible but at the end of the day, the family are the ones that are affected most, the council don't care, and the haulage companies involved only care about who was at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭germanator

yeah sure i was a passenger in that car, i was goin out with the girl we were just pullin out from the junction and there was o truck with the indicator on to turn in where we were pulling out from but when we pulled out it didnt turn in and struck us

• Advertisement
Advertisement