Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Siege of Gort

• 09-10-2006 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

I know its not Galway City but is there any update on the Siege in Gort. Its a bit ironic that Gort is only up the road from Ennis.

Seriously though; Whats your man doing/demanding?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you have a link?
    A one-man siege seems kinda difficult?

Edit:
    Shots fired at Garda cars in Galway siege
    15:06 Gardaí in Gort, Co Galway are this afternoon trying to negotiate with a local man who barricaded himself into his house before firing shots on a number of patrol cars last night.

Ha, I thought he was trying to sack Gort :D

biko wrote:
    Do you have a link?
    A one-man siege seems kinda difficult?

Edit:

Ha, I thought he was trying to sack Gort :D

I thought the same. Hah. Thought it was going to be an old-school siege like the Siege of Derry.

I thought the same. Hah. Thought it was going to be an old-school siege like the Siege of Derry.
    The people of Gort shouting "No Surrender 2006" :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

"Nothing much has happened here since Patrick Dennehy surround the entire British army single handed until they starved to death..."

Robbo wrote:
    "Nothing much has happened here since Patrick Dennehy surround the entire British army single handed until they starved to death..."

I laughed so hard at that that my housemates are now looking at me strangely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

anyone know if the guy was a local, or was he Irish?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

probably a brazilian chap.

Ah sure, aren't they used to shooting at cops from a young age anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Its all over.
    He came out of the house shooting and the Guards shot him with non lethal weapons (beanbags). The man has been taken to hospital but his condition is not serious. He is Irish.

The Guards seem to have learned from and put in place the recommendations in the reports following the Carthy case.
    probably a brazilian chap.

Ah sure, aren't they used to shooting at cops from a young age anyway?
    Not a very fair comment considering you appear to know nothing about the situation, nor do you appear to have any interest in anything but racist abuse.

Kippy

To be honest, I couldn't care less.

I was just making a whimsical statement. I'm not racist. I have a black friend!

And begods, I wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't shot a few cops in his day!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Good for you.
    Other people might care more however. This isnt the humour forum and in general people might take what comments you make in it seriously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

thankfully it's over. bloody hell, after all the gun spree killings we've heard about recently, esp from the States, this could have been bad.

It's just soooo.... not something that happens in Galway.

And soon, it will be all out war, muggings, rapes, drive-bys, drugs busts, and gang wars.

Oh wait.. No that already Galway, forget I mentioned anything.

BTW Kippy, excuse me if I offended you, I didn't realise my malarky would affect you so drastically. Please accept my apology, otherwise I shall be in a state of despair, and might cry a little.

kippy wrote:
    The Guards seem to have learned from and put in place the recommendations in the reports following the Carthy case.
    I can see it now

- Come out Seamus!
    - You'll never get me alive pigs!
    Pow, pow

- Feck, he's out. Alright lads, bring out the beanbags! No, Dermott, the small ones - for the guns...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

kippy wrote:
    This time they put the pack of smokes on a fishing line and reeled it in slowly to lure him out of the house...

Too far? Single to Hull please...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

It's just soooo.... not something that happens in Galway.

And soon, it will be all out war, muggings, rapes, drive-bys, drugs busts, and gang wars.

Oh wait.. No that already Galway, forget I mentioned anything.

"I don't know what this island is coming to Fr. next thing ya know there'll be pimps using crack ho's to control the drugs supply on the corner"

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

Would you be surprised if he had? Well done for having a 'black friend'! Is he your crack dealer? Do you call him 'Token' by any chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jacket/potato

cL0h wrote:
    Would you be surprised if he had? Well done for having a 'black friend'! Is he your crack dealer? Do you call him 'Token' by any chance.
    any chance of ye lads havin some sense and seeing that a trend is being set out in society. Take the guy from abbylarar that time where they had to shoot him. he had been hospitalised on numerous occaions before so and how did he get a gun. the real question here is how do we stop stupid stuff like this occuring ever again for god's sake. all the government are doin is closing the contry's hospitals for these people and all they need is time to recover and a little consideration. maybe then people won't be trying to kill gardai and gettin killed themselves.

Apparently there was more than beanbags flying. Mr Burke (named on RTE) was shot once in the chest but not critical I think.
    Seems this was as he still were shooting around him upon exiting the premises.

cL0h wrote:
    Would you be surprised if he had? Is he your crack dealer? Do you call him 'Token' by any chance.

yes... to all answers!

Was there any motive for this? I suspect it wasn't just a random. Get up, Make tea, feed cat, shoot at police, have shower, shoot at police, get the children up, fed and send them to school, shoot at police, make own breakfast, watch cornation street re-runs, hang out washing, shoot at police, pick up dry cleaning, get shot through the chest and hit with bean bangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

RedHairedGuy - cop on. That was a poor taste comment to make.

Though you could've defended yourself better had you made some reference to statistical probability given the town in question.

All of ye - leave it be.

I thought I heard something on the news about him being shot after the beanbags 'didn't work', and that he's now in a critical condition in hospital?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

SyxPak wrote:
    I thought I heard something on the news about him being shot after the beanbags 'didn't work', and that he's now in a critical condition in hospital?

Seems strange alright. Four attempts to take him down by non-lethal failed - I'm not quite sure if that implies they somehow hit him several times with the bags and still failed to down him, or that they missed several times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

et shot through the chest and hit with bean bangs.

Have this stupid image now of Gardai rushing in the door with huge full size bean bags and smothering him completely. Non-Lethal indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I've heard that bean bags are pretty good at short distance but not great (accuracy etc.) at long distance. But since rubber bullets are banned in this country due to complaints in the north that is the only non-lethal weapon used in Ireland. Since he was shot by a sniper round i presume the Gardai were some distance away fro the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

From reports in the papers the beanbags were used first from a distance of 20ft ,they had no effect and the guy started to reload his shot gun so a sniper dropped him from 300ft away.

HavoK wrote:
    Have this stupid image now of Gardai rushing in the door with huge full size bean bags and smothering him completely. Non-Lethal indeed!

I shouldn't be laughing as much at this thread.

I'm presuming it means that they shot him with the beanbags but it didn't have any effect. Somehow I doubt they'd use lethal rounds 'cause some eejit has terrible aim.

SyxPak wrote:
    RedHairedGuy - cop on. That was a poor taste comment to make.

Yes sir! (hangs head in shame)

The chap is still in a critical condition when last I heard, then again, a sniper shot to the chest is gonna leave you feeling a little glum!

Apparently, he went home after a funeral of some kind absolutely hammered, and with intention of beating his girlfriend who was leaving him. She legged it when he got abusive, then he took out 2 shotguns licensed to him, as a member of a gun club and shot out street lights all around his house. When gardai arrived on scene he shot at the squad car too.

The rest of the story you all know. No one besides the shooter was hurt.

Advertisement