Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Transformers Comics Storylines

• 25-09-2006 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭

What are everyone's favourite storylines from the comics? The 3 I like most are from the Marvel UK comic:

1) Target 2006 - the one where Galvatron, Cyclonus & Scourge travel back to 1986 and Hot Rod, Kup & Blurr follow them back to put a stop to their antics. The issue where Megatron and the Autobots join forces to kick Scourge's ass was amazing. Issues 77-87

2) Space Pirates - the Quintessons' planet is falling apart and they try take over Cybertron. Memorable for Metroplex taking on the Quintesson fleet single-handedly and Rodimus Prime losing the Matrix and reverting to Hot Rod. Issues 183-190?

3) Time Wars - the Transformers' time-travelling tomfoolery rips a hole in the fabric of space-time. Featuring Galvatron at his most bonkers, shouting at a hole in the sky. Issues 199-205

Then there was the epic that the UK comic ended on, where Unicron attacks Cybertron. It went on for ages and included loads of great parts, like the Matrix Quest, where that dickhead Thunderwing took the Matrix. Great stuff. Simon Furman was a great comics writer. What's he up to these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Time Wars was brilliant. There was such a great build up to it.

Remember when Cyclonus gets his head ripped off by Megatron that causes the whole time rift to go into overdrive? And Shockwave going catatonic because he can't accept that he's going to be destroyed in the future and Ravage has to snap him out of it... all brilliant stuff.

I loved the whole Underbase story as well. Rat Bat was a great character, but it was brilliant how Starscream betrayed him and went and grabbed the Underbase for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

The Time Wars was brilliant. There was such a great build up to it.

And Shockwave going catatonic because he can't accept that he's going to be destroyed in the future and Ravage has to snap him out of it... all brilliant stuff.

its more than that, its that cool creature of logic that he is shockwave couldnt cope with the whole truck load of paradoxes that the time travel story set up and like a newbie to the trek univeres his mind just shut down.:D

i always thought it was a great tribute to simons story telling that he actually tied the end of this story into the one where shockers was killed in the future months earlier, saying something to the effect that he had 20years to plan defeating cyclonus and scourge in the future. only to discover it was deaths head that did it in the end (courtesey of mind controling by unicron) which is why he was so surprised at what DH did.

i'll agree with the pic in the OP. target 2006 was the first time i realised how cool TF could be, i still can vividly see a demoralised ironhide digging you know who out of the mountain galvatron dropped on him. and the work dan reed did on time wars was amazing, i can still see galvatron with half his head missing thanks to roadbuster, who saddly didnt have long to celebrate it.

to those who dont know furmans still writing transformers comics for IDW . you can order em in trade form form play.com. they start off pretty slow as individual issues but infiltration reads very well as a trade and what megs get up to to get his house in order :D
    stormbringers still got one issue to go so should be out by christmas in trade form. id still pay good money to get geoff senior do the art but the guys they have a pretty good in their own right. you just have to see don figueura (spl?) art. its amazing

should feel i throw a nod of the head at the G2 story line as well, i didnt like the art except for geoffs contribution, but in many ways its the most mature take on the bots there is. god knows the bodycount was high enough, and furman gave us a bad guy on a par with thunderwing with jhiaxus. good read

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Time Wars was Shockwave's finest hour cos he saved everyone at the end by sending Cyclonus' remains into the rift.
    Any Dinobot stories were great as well, like "Dinobot Hunt" or the one where they fight Gaurdian, the security robot in the Ark that the Deceps reprogrammed to attack the Autobots. Remember Swoop saved them all by flying the about-to-explode Gaurdian away from the Ark?

agamemnon wrote:
    Time Wars was Shockwave's finest hour cos he saved everyone at the end by sending Cyclonus' remains into the rift.
    Any Dinobot stories were great as well, like "Dinobot Hunt" or the one where they fight Gaurdian, the security robot in the Ark that the Deceps reprogrammed to attack the Autobots. Remember Swoop saved them all by flying the about-to-explode Gaurdian away from the Ark?

dinobot hunt was class. we finaly found out there that on a one to one no holds barred scrap sludge could kick grimlocks arse!! funny to think hes so shy othewise and generally relyed on grimlock goading to get him usefull in battle. plus the gorgeous art by kitson/senior and co with gina harts colouring, man the UK comic looked so much better than the US one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

agamemnon wrote:

2) Space Pirates - the Quintessons' planet is falling apart and they try take over Cybertron. Memorable for Metroplex taking on the Quintesson fleet single-handedly and Rodimus Prime losing the Matrix and reverting to Hot Rod. Issues 183-190?
    Not to mention the sight of about twenty Autobots(including known characters like Blaster and Wheeljack) literally crucified and hung on the walls of Autobot city as bait for Rodimus Prime. That was hardcore. There was also a nice little moment during Metroplexes rampage where the Matrix-wielding Ghyrik takes time from menacing Hot Rod to check out the scene behind him, and he has this perfect "We. Are. So. F*cked" look on his face.

• Advertisement

What was the storyline with all the zombie transformers on Cybertron? And the Autobot leader on Cybertron, Xaaron, got kidnapped by the scientist behind it all who wanted to turn Cybertron into a big spaceship. Xaaron hadn't transformed for 1000's of years and was worried the shock would kill him if he was forced to.

I remember being really gripped by that storylinel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Target 2006 was my fav but I liked "Crisis of Command" too. The one where Prime starts to have grave doubts as to his role of leader. He's tested severly when Bumblebee is kidnapped by Soundwave. Refusing to risk any more Autobots, Prime goes Rambo and cuts a swate through the Decepticons en-route to freeing the little Autobot. It was great to see the big man beat all before and after him.
    - The story was one of a few instances where the Bots have the 'Cons by the goolies but dont get around to finishing them off.
    - Geoff Senior was my favorite Transformer artist.

What was the storyline with all the zombie transformers on Cybertron? And the Autobot leader on Cybertron, Xaaron, got kidnapped by the scientist behind it all who wanted to turn Cybertron into a big spaceship. Xaaron hadn't transformed for 1000's of years and was worried the shock would kill him if he was forced to.

'City of the Dead' I think. That was brilliant alright, loved the amount of character he was able to give a nobody like Flywheels in that story. And Impactor...*sniff*

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

The story was a 2 part called "Meltdown" 168-169 (featured "Sparkabots"):

Synopsis - 168:
    The countdown to nuclear disaster has begun! In just four point six breems (roughly 35 minutes) Flame's unstable reactor will go online destroying all of Kalis and perhaps Cybertron itself. The Autobot scientist doesn't see this though, his simulations all point to one thing, that the engines will fire as anticipated and Cybertron will be transformed from planet to spacecraft. Flame's place in history will be assured and those who doubted him will see the folly of their words.

As the clock ticks he studies the progress of his enemies via the view screen. Springer has escaped (see UK#167) and made contact with Ultra Magnus and the Sparkabots. The quintet now makes their way back to Flame's complex, while the Decepticon Flywheels goes for reinforcements. Another screen shows the Wreckers free of their cell (how?) and pitched in battle with Flame's zombies (they've even lost their transform inhibitors). Emirate Xarron meanwhile, is being allowed to proceed to the central control room. When the engines fire, Flame wants his chief critic to be present.

As Springer leads the way along the secret tunnel to Flame's base he fills the others in on the danger. Flame is a 'batty as a bug bot' and his out of date reactor will blow the planet up before it ever propels it in space. Magnus again has to fend off harsh words from Sizzle who is still unhappy they let Flywheels go. Springer feels sorry for him because he knows a thing or too about the pressure of leadership and having to make tough decisions.

Below ground the Wreckers are starting to get overwhelmed by zombies - if only they could get to the armoury their troubles would be over! Luckily help is at hand from Impactor, who decapitates a zombie with his harpoon, and helps to turn the tide. A remaining vestige of his persona has reasserted itself and he sets off in pursuit of the one responsible for this living death, Flame! Elsewhere in the reactor room Xarron confronts his old colleague. He repeats his warning that the reactor is dangerous but Flame just thinks Xarron is worried about himself once the Council of Elders find out they discredited the wrong person. Xarron realises just how mad Flame has become - after all the Council is long gone and the fall from grace is ancient history. He tries to turn the reactor off but Flame springs into action, transforming into his fire tank mode and attacking. Xarron is almost melted by the first blast and needs to fight back - in his vehicle combat mode he might stand a chance - but he hasn't transformed for centuries and the shock might kill him if he did it now! Xarron has a difficult choice, to attempt transformation or not too, either way his chances are slim.

Meanwhile the Wreckers have got hold of some weapons and dispatched the remaining zombies with their usual efficiency. Magnus and the others now join them as they head for the control room, under the watchful cameras of Flames computer. Sensing the growing threat it activates defensive measures and seals the reactor room with some heavy-duty blast doors. It is clear to the Autobots that they will not get through these in the time they have left. Springer remembers that there is some equipment in Autobase that might do the job and he and Broadside make tracks. Seconds later the pair are nearing the surface when a second set of doors are battered open. Blocking the path is none other than the monstrous Decepticon known as Trypticon!

Synopsis - 169:
    It has been centuries since Emirate Xarron last transformed, and he knows if he does it now, it won't be pleasant. But the agony he faces will be as nothing should he fail to stop Flame. This mad Autobot scientist (as we learned previously), is planning to fire a huge engine under Cybertron's surface, transforming the planet into a spacecraft. In reality the reactor is dangerously unstable and is far more likely to rip Cybertron to pieces - unless Xarron can do something!

So far the old timer has been having his most energetic afternoon for ages, as he dives to avoid blast after blast from Flame's fire tank mode. Xarron's arm is partially melted, but it doesn't stop him attempting to transform to his vehicle mode. Sadly we never see it because Xarron is saved by bell (well a warning siren actually). The reactor has started to malfunction and in two minutes it could explode. Flame transforms to robot mode and Xarron pleads with him to reveal where the shut down control is. Perhaps if they can lower the reactor core and seal it... "the dream can be saved," Flame finishes.

Nearby, Ultra Magnus and the Wreckers are attempting to break into the control centre but are being held at bay by the blast doors. The only chance is for Springer and Broadside to get back with some heavy artillery, but the Autobots fear the worst when Trypticon suddenly appears! The giant Decepticon must have destroyed their comrades, and will destroy them too, unless they open fire! Magnus prepares to give the order, but Springer appears unexpectedly and reveals that Trypticon is here to help. It turns out that Flywheels came through for the Autobots after all. He couldn't get reinforcements in terms of numbers so he settled for the biggest Decepticon he could find! With the explanations out of the way Trypticon gets down to business, headbutting the blast doors and caving them in! The Autobots and Decepticons pile through, followed minutes later by the former zombie Impactor.

Meanwhile Xarron is still pleading with Flame to shut down the reactor with no success. The demented scientist thinks his old adversary is simply trying to discredit him again and won't let Xarron near the reactor. Thankfully Ultra Magnus arrives and hauls Flame off the ground, tossing him on to nearby machinery. The countdown to detonation continues and now there is only a matter of seconds remaining. Xarron, Magnus and Springer heroically argue over which one of them should sacrifice their lives to go into the reactor and shut it down. Xarron, as the most high ranking Autobot, wins the contest.

He prepares to leave, just as Flame summons his remaining zombies to the control room. But the macabre army is no match for the combined forces of The Wreckers and Trypticon. Xarron is about to step into the reactor when Flame lunges at him - only to be speared through the head by Impactor! The once mighty leader of the Wreckers tells Xarron to stand aside and allow him to go into the reactor instead. Impactor has no place among the living now but perhaps his death can mean something.

He goes inside where a violent fire storm rages and tears him apart piece by piece. But Impactor crawls to the reactor core, and with his last once of strength, deactivates it. A chain reaction ensues which destroys the engines but the prospect of a larger blast has been averted. Above ground the Autobots are surprised to see Emirate Xarron emerge unscathed. He tells the gathered warriors what happened and asks that they give thanks... "to the Autobot to died twice so that others may live."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Belle Ende

agamemnon wrote:
    What are everyone's favourite storylines from the comics?
    I love the long-running out-of-time Galvatron-on-earth saga. The "Vicious Circle" concluding story in the 1987 TF annual is great. Goldbug walking away after the volcano blows was a cool coda.
    agamemnon wrote:
    Then there was the epic that the UK comic ended on, where Unicron attacks Cybertron. It went on for ages and included loads of great parts, like the Matrix Quest, where that dickhead Thunderwing took the Matrix. Great stuff.
    Very epic way to bow out. Of course by the end of the UK comic, they were really just reprinting 99% of the US comic tales at that point. Hardly any 'exclusive' UK-only stories past issue #300.
    agamemnon wrote:
    Simon Furman was a great comics writer. What's he up to these days?
    Furman rules! Top bloke, too. He's still involved with writing comic books, specifically TRANSFORMERS, from IDW Publishing.

Check out:
    http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/1.shtml

• Advertisement

DaBreno wrote:
    - Geoff Senior was my favorite Transformer artist.

Geoff Senior is THE man. He's still the best Transformers artist even now (yes, even better than Don Figueroa and Guido Guidi).

Barry Kitson, Bryan Hitch, Lee Sullivan, and Andy Wildman were great too.

I never really liked Dan Reed's work. It had it's moments, but by-and-large the bendiness was too much to bear. It's a real credit to Simon Furman (the writer) that he could overcome some very poor artwork and still create a gripping and evocative story.
    Trode wrote:
    'City of the Dead' I think. That was brilliant alright, loved the amount of character he was able to give a nobody like Flywheels in that story. And Impactor...*sniff*
    City Of Fear/Legion Of The Lost/Meltdown

Another great set of stories from Simon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

I'd say from the old Marvel comics, Time Wars, loved that storyline, From Dreamwave, I'd say War Within, the cybertronian designs were fantastic and from IDW I'd say Stormbringer or Beast Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

As i said on another thread its the story of prime lost on cybertron. from start to finish it was fantastic.

Belle Ende wrote:
    City Of Fear/Legion Of The Lost/Meltdown

Another great set of stories from Simon.
    'City of Fear'! That's what I was thinking of, thanks.

Does anyone remember the short story that was in one of the annuals, I think it was called 'Victory', where the Dinobots were in comas, and couldn't escape their dreams about battles? Each time they'd die, there'd be voices discussing their condition in darkness, and it was Ratchet telling Prime that they were suffering progressive brain damage, and if they didn't wake of their own accord, they'd be vegetables. Amazingly poignant for a series ostensibly about toy robots hitting each other.

Trode wrote:
    Does anyone remember the short story that was in one of the annuals, I think it was called 'Victory', where the Dinobots were in comas, and couldn't escape their dreams about battles? Each time they'd die, there'd be voices discussing their condition in darkness, and it was Ratchet telling Prime that they were suffering progressive brain damage, and if they didn't wake of their own accord, they'd be vegetables.
    Marvellous little tale. Geoff Senior's art was kick-ass.
    Trode wrote:
    Amazingly poignant for a series ostensibly about toy robots hitting each other.
    That sums up a lot of what Simon Furman did. He never "wrote down" to kids, and basically turned what would otherwise have been an ordinary toy line comic book into a really excellent new fictional universe with characters with real personality and a gripping mature serial about how they cope in their un-ending war with their sworn enemies.

I used to love the Zoids comic book around the same time. Where any of the Transformers writers working on that? There were some great characters in Zoids.

jaggeh wrote:
    As i said on another thread its the story of prime lost on cybertron. from start to finish it was fantastic.

is that the one circa issue 200? i seem to remember a beutiful geoff senior scene where prime, returned to cybertron for the first time since the ark left, comes upon a devastated iacon and just falls to his knees in a classic "Nooooooooooo!" moment.

always thought that was amazingly poignant that he secretly hoped even after all that time that his home city would survive. particularly seeing how its the site of their first victory against the decepticons in the early days of the war

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I always remember the swoop/divebomb story as swoop was a big favourite of mine.

I used to love the Zoids comic book around the same time. Where any of the Transformers writers working on that? There were some great characters in Zoids.

Yep, used to collect these too, had most of the Toys and comics. Including Zoidzilla (still have him!) and Gore. Graduated to Transformers(among others) from there.

What would you say to creating a Zoids thread in this forum? Id imagine there is a lot of fans of both in here. Sticky for a while maybe?

DaBreno wrote:
    What would you say to creating a Zoids thread in this forum?
    No way.

• Advertisement

DaBreno wrote:
    What would you say to creating a Zoids thread in this forum? Id imagine there is a lot of fans of both in here. Sticky for a while maybe?
    Best take it to take it to the 'All Things Retro' forum for now.

There's a website with scans of the old comic out there if you google for it...

Okey Doke

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

6th wrote:
    I always remember the swoop/divebomb story as swoop was a big favourite of mine.

"what's in a name?" or something like that. He kept getting owned by Divebomb and "HE" (the ex/dead autobot leader) saved him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Dominatorx

The underbase saga
    It had a huge death toll and starscream dolling out ownage in massive amounts.

Advertisement