Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford/Wexford confusion - anyone else have the same experience?

• 06-09-2006 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

What is it with the names of our neighbouring counties that non south-easterners have problems with?

Typical scenario: I am asked here in Dublin "where are you from?" to which I reply "Waterford". The person who's just asked me (not necessarily from Dublin, not necessarily even Irish) says that they've been there or not, liked it or not, whatever.

But then two minutes later, they will ask me if I'm "going down to Wexford" at the weekend. It's not something that just happens with one or two people. It happens systematically. You can hear the word "Wexford" before they let it out.

On RTE radio this evening, they reported that Waterford has the cheapest petrol in the country, and surprise surprise, during the discussion, the presenter referred to Wexford, meaning of course Waterford.

Has anyone else from Waterford experienced this phenomenon? Has anyone from Wexford experienced the same thing in reverse? How about Kilkenny people - ever get mixed up with Kildare?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've not been particularly aware of this problem, though I have seen Wexford named rather than Waterford in the press media.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I've heard that quite a bit actually in general conversation more so from people outside the region. Wexford - Waterford sound the same, are right beside each other and are Viking settlements so hence the confusion at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

i've never noticed it before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

Asolutely,

I have experienced this problem all the time particularly with Dubs.I think it is probably due to their general affinity with Courtown that has Wexford to the forefront of their mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭upthere

Not had that problem much, i've had non dubs refer to wexford as wicklow more so that waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I've experienced this almost daily for the 8 years I've been in Dublin..

Dubs especially seem to have a mental block when it comes to Waterford. One place I worked in for 4.5 years had a large number of Dubs working in it and not one of them got it right ever.

Dub: So are ya heading home to Wexford for the weekend?
    Me: I'm from Waterford and yeah I'm heading home
    Dub: Cool, whats the night life like in Wexford these days?
    Me: No idea, I'm from Waterford!!!! :rolleyes:

No idea what it is, they just can't get their head around it.. :D

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

I've never noticed this, ah maybe they all just like Wexford better and thats why it springs to mind so easily!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

misswex wrote:
    I've never noticed this, ah maybe they all just like Wexford better and thats why it springs to mind so easily!!

Of course you haven't noticed it, because they always say "Wexford", which in your case is right. Let on one day that you're from Waterford (just say "well buoy/gerl, any blaais? on de buaull!!!" to everyone). I guarantee you, they'll still go on about Wexford, and then you'll understand.

Maybe they do like Wexford better (there's a lot to love about ye), but that doesn't excuse their ignorance when it comes to the wonderful south-east.

fricatus wrote:
    Of course you haven't noticed it, because they always say "Wexford", which in your case is right. Let on one day that you're from Waterford (just say "well buoy/gerl, any blaais? on de buaull!!!" to everyone). I guarantee you, they'll still go on about Wexford, and then you'll understand.

Maybe they do like Wexford better (there's a lot to love about ye), but that doesn't excuse their ignorance when it comes to the wonderful south-east.

Yeah to be honest dubs are very arrogant about themselves. Every dub I met have "harmlessly" slagged my as being a culchie! I can't stand that. Really annoys me to be honest. Waterford is best place to shop to be honest and has best scenery in the west part of it. Wexford is like the local ibiza to dubs but not as hot or sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

upthere wrote:
    Yeah to be honest dubs are very arrogant about themselves. Every dub I met have "harmlessly" slagged my as being a culchie! I can't stand that. Really annoys me to be honest..
    ya my wife is the same...she's from Lucan which is County Dublin and slags me as being a culchie cos I'm from Cork. I tell her I'm no culchie cos I'm from Cork City and she's the savage being from county dublin. Doesn't wash though.

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote:
    ya my wife is the same...she's from Lucan which is County Dublin and slags me as being a culchie cos I'm from Cork. I tell her I'm no culchie cos I'm from Cork City and she's the savage being from county dublin. Doesn't wash though.
    Yeah I don't understand why they think they're great, most of Irish history happened outside of dublin like. They talk a lot of bo*lx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 murph084

misswex wrote:
    ya i def agree wit u wexford is de place to be pity we cant hurl doe but sure doesnt god love a tryer;)

murph084 wrote:
    ya i def agree wit u wexford is de place to be pity we cant hurl doe but sure doesnt god love a tryer;)
    You are probably from Waterford and re registered as another user to post that comment because I can't be bothered trying to understand the psychology as to why! And you also probably f*cking know I'm right! YA blaa, pity the women there can't get me a bon(er:rolleyes: BOY!
    Waterford next best thing to CORK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

Yea as one caller said Wexford is just said a bit more than waterford, for instance Dubs are used to saying "are you going down to Wexford"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mensreas

yeah but lets face it folks does anyone really give a **** as to what the dubs think i live near courtown and my god the amount of knackers that do be around (no offence intended please come spend ur money!!!!!) but we locals usually set some bouncers on em and that sloves that!!!! lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

mensreas wrote:
    yeah but lets face it folks does anyone really give a **** as to what the dubs think i live near courtown and my god the amount of knackers that do be around (no offence intended please come spend ur money!!!!!) but we locals usually set some bouncers on em and that sloves that!!!! lol:D
    not if you are in posh ballymoney, there they are still knackers but they will get daddys lawyers to sue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

I'm from Wexford myself, very close to the border (can see it accross the river!) and yet when I tell people (mostly based further up the country) that I work in Waterford they cant belive that I work so far from home. When i try explain that Waterford is (as the crow flies and by the ferry too) the closest town to me, they just cant understand it. Has geography levels of our own country gone down that much???:eek:

Advertisement