Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Mustard?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Well, that was underwhelming. Bland and inoffensive. The Mustard that your kid sister would use.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yeah, they should call it "Mustard style condiment" of something...its not as good as the real thing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I'll say one thing for it though, I had a preconception that it would be full of gums and colourings, but not according to the ingredients on the bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

BuffyBot wrote:
    My variation on this is cheese singles (the only time I eat them) and hellmans mayo instead of butter. Very tasty.

Must try that - also another variation on this is to toast the sandwich - sounds weird but its delicious with the cheese melting into the crisps but you will need to add more mustard after its cooked - well I do anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

ecksor wrote:
    Well, that was underwhelming. Bland and inoffensive. The Mustard that your kid sister would use.
    I told you! It's the sort of mustard that lets any old horde invade. Whether it's actually french or not is beside the point! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Pocari Sweat

Colemans English for the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lostnbroken

I am not a big fan of mustard but i have to go for English.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Colman's is yer only man.
    I do also like some of the German senfs.
    The French stuff is a bit too mild for me though.

While not a traditional mustard product, have any of you mustard-heads tried Crazy Jerry's Mustard Gas? Tis quite spectacular!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mizwizzy

:D colmans mustard most definitely!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Defintely English....all others dont come close....well maybe French is close but still English is far nicer!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

no irish mustard in the poll! lakeshore is lovely mustard, especially the wholegrain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Colmans:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eric003

My favourite mustard is definately welsh mustard, it's red in colour and is beautiful, if you like english mustard you will love welsh mustard, I found the website of 'The Welsh Mustard Company' at www.welshmustard.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

French Dijon mustard for me or perhaps wholegrain sometimes.

Never understand this preference for english mustard cos its "stronger". I mean that's like saying you prefer methylated spirits over a nice beer because its got a higher alcohol content:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

when i think of the different mustards i immediately relate them to the following:

England - colmans

French - Dijon (maille to be percise)

American - something like Plochmans

German - i love a bavarian mustard, called lowensenf

i think the sweet bavarian mustard is sublime with a hangsandwich, and is def my favourite over the strong Dijon.

here's a recipe for honey mustard the i just LOVE - orgasmic stuff

1/2 cup Kraft mayonnaise (don't use Dukes or Miracle Whip!)
    1/4 cup mustard (of your choice- hint hint bavarian)
    1/4 cup honey
    1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar (leave out if using for dip)
    1 dash salt
    cayenne pepper

will give you one cup full, and should be just five minutes to prepare! now dip your chips into that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

This is odd. Never knew mustard had such a popular fan base!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

This is what boards is all about imo.
    Obscure little addictions.
    Absolutely love Colmans English Mustard myself.
    Best cure for a hangover ever = Toasted Ham and Cheese Sandwiches with blanket of Mustard inside.
    Soon makes you forget how rough you feel when you are gasping for air.....mmm mmm.
    Don't care much for Guiness mustard. Dijon is nice though in some circumstances.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Slotts Stark Senap
    Sweet and strong mustard. The Original Slotts recipe, spiced up to a stronger version.

slotts-senap-stark.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

soda bread, butter, carved ham with english mustard all washed down with fresh coffee. hard to beat it!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I like french

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

Dijon is friggen beautiful i just love that, but Strong Irish is also BEAUTIFUL... i think if god was a mustard he would be irish

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

its all about whole grain mustard, what youre calling german?282451.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

i like that dalkey mustard,,, has a **** load of seads in it...

yeah that stuff is just evil on soda bread with sweet clove ham and mature chedder cheese aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Mweelrea wrote: »
    This is odd. Never knew mustard had such a popular fan base!

mustard is savage or should i say sandwich :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 strjms72

English mustard on German meat products is the greatest :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

French Dijon mustard is the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Had me d yummiest dinner a couple of days ago - S(ch)puds Bacon and Cabbage and you guessed it with heilmans ...and a big pint of milk - wearing my wellies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Arkana

unkel wrote: »
    French mustard? People don't have a notion of history, do they? Mustard is a German thing. Brought over from Africa by the Romans to the food loving Germans. Right enough the German region where mustard had it's European birth was forcefully handed over to France a while back but most people in the region are most familiar with senf in case moutard is not the thing to utter in public again soon enough...
    A vote for English mustard? Disgraceful. Although it has to be said that Colmans was the first company in the world to industrialise mustard. Nuff said :rolleyes:
    I'm confident that most posters here like their mustard. You might not have tasted (real) mustard before, so I challenge thee, go for the one and only: Löwensenf :D
    True, but why am I the only person having voted for it?

Sorry, I joined this discussion quite late - so it doesn't make quite sense to participate at the poll this time.
    But you are right, unkel, about history and facts, and I agree totally with your 'one and only' - but taste is ALWAYS debatable - so we all should be tolerant.
    What I have to add here, is that there is much nonsense told and advertised about 'Löwensenf' - it is definitively NOT a 'Bavarian' mustard - Löwensenf always was and still is produced in Düsseldorf, which is a sity in the Federal State of 'Nordrhein-Westfalen' (people there would kill you if you call them Bavarian:D) and - at least the 'Classic' (export range) or 'Extra' (local range) is EVERTHING ELSE but SWEET! It contains only (best quality) spicy mustard seeds, vinegar (clear, triple distilled wine vinegar), salt and water - NO sugar and NO sweeteners. As far as I know, this mustard is the most spicy in the world. In the recent years, the factory has brought two additional sorts onto the market, 'mild' and 'sweet' - I don't like neither of them - still stick to the classic/extra mustard.
    Löwensenf beats in spicyness even the English Colmans (which is extremely sweet, what I don't like), the French Dijon or the German 'Bauzener Senf'. That, in fact, reduces the amount of this mustard you need. For example: On a good German 'Bratwurst' (grill sausage) of roughly 100g I need, to have it tasty, the same weight of ordinary mustard - ca. 100g. With Löwensenf Classic/Extra I only need 10% of that to achieve the same spicy result. In the end - even if Löwensenf is more expensive - it pays off in your pocket.;)

Well... embarassing: Should say 'city', not 'sity'...:(

• Advertisement

Ah well... the third one in this - a recommendation:
    You should buy the 'Löwensenf' in tubes, not in glasses. Reason: Oxygen reduces the spicyness of the mustard. It is unavoidable with a glas or tin - but with tubes you squeeze out exactly the amount you need, and once the lid is screwed on again, there is no oxygen touching this precious mustard...;)

Advertisement