Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Final 2006 Mayo V Kerry !!!!!

• 28-08-2006 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

I think it only right a Dub create this thread. I heard a disturbing Rumour that the Bommer part deux is carrying a slight injury, but there is pleanty of time to recover. If he is involved in a car crash with a mayo car this week I wouldnt be surprised :D :eek:

Seriously, I was backing Kerry all year for the all ireland but after being humbled by Mayo yesterday Im starting to turn...Like culchie There seems to be some sort of ...i dunno... something about this Mayo team.

I predict Mayo to win by one point...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Mayo for me too. I think the shorter wait to the all ireland will be a huge advantag for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It is a long time since 1951, and the whole country, even some Kerry people, would be delighted if they won. So come on Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Can't wait for it. I hope Kerry are at their strongest, so we can beat them with their best 15 on the pitch :D Hopefully it will be another cracker of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

As a Mayo man I am not user what to think about this final.
    Since 2004 I have told myself not to get too excited about Mayo's chances in a final.
    I am worried about how the Mayo backs will deal with the three pronged attack of Donagy, Cooper and MFR. Mayo were very luck on Sunday that Dublin did not score more goals as they had the chances.
    On the positive side I think Mayo have a great midfield, some very good forwards and they have shown a mental toughness never seen before in a Mayo team.
    It must also be remembered that many Mayo people said last week that Dublin were overrated and over hyped, now after beating them they should not get too carried away because all Mayo did was beat an overrated and over hyped team by 1 point.
    As long as the team and management don't get carried away with Sundays win i think it will be a very close final.
    Head = Kerry, Heart = Mayo, and I'll put my money where my heart is while I am at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Alany wrote:
    I heard a disturbing Rumour that the Bommer part deux is carrying a slight injury, but there is pleanty of time to recover.

Not if he has a broken jaw... that's the rumour I heard.....however it is rumour silly season time now.

Whoever give him the 'shot' won't exactly win Kerryman of the year 2006:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Aido c

Alany wrote:
    Bommer part deux

L.O.L. I had a thread a few weeks ago about picking a new nickname for Donaghy, you shouldh have put this in there, very funny :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

Mayo have the big advantage of playing their last 3 matches in croker - the last battle against dublin will really have them in high spirits and dying for a shot at kerry.

Their tradition of making a bags of it in croker wont be bugging them this year, they'll be well used to it by now.

UP MAYO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I think Kerry are going to win this one. Mayo conceded two goals to Dublin, and it could have been more. Laois should also have had goals against them in the two matches. Kerry will be allot more clinical then Laois and Dublin, and I think Donaghy will wreak havoc. I would like to see Mayo win, but realistically I would have Kerry as firm favouties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

in my opinion the Mayo lads are going to be well up for this one with the defeats of last year and the final in 2004 in mind. I'm sure that some of them will feel that they underperformed then and will have a point to prove when it comes to the final in 2 and a half weeks time. (okay closer to 3 but I can't wait for this game).

On the other hand you have the kerry lads who want to put the misery of last years final behind them and want to get their hands on the Sam Magure. Though in all fairness the one tough game Kerry played they lost and in style with Cork playing extremely well in the Munster final replay.

I think if Ronan can command the midfield like he has done against Laois in the drawn game and against Dublin while he was on they have a great chance of beating the Kingdom.

A few holes in the defence needs to be irradicated but if the back line does as well as it did last weekend we should hold Kerry.

Come on the Mayo Lads. Bring sam to te North west :D

thats just my two cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I think you conveniently forgot about Kerrys result v Armagh, and the backs will need to be allot better then they were against Dublin, Kerry are far more clinical then we were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I'm not as sure about the final as the Dublin game. I thought Dublin might crack near the end aand they did but i don't see Kerry doing the same. I think our small full back line can cope with the high ball to Donaghy. So we have to win midfield more that the 55-45 we did against Dublin as it will stop the ball going in to Donaghy and give the Mayo forwards the chance to shine. Hopefully McGarrity and Padden will be 100% fit and that TMort will be fit enough to come on for ONeill with 25 mins to go (I would like to see ONeill start but he's prob not fit enough for the full game).

If Donaghys not fit then Mayo should win as so much of the Kerry game plan is based on him. If he is fit then it 50 - 50. Hopefully the media and the nation will make Kerry good favourites and us fans can keep the hype down here in Mayo and not get as carried away as we have before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

Waylander wrote:
    I think you conveniently forgot about Kerrys result v Armagh, and the backs will need to be allot better then they were against Dublin, Kerry are far more clinical then we were.

I completely forgot they played against Armagh sorry. Haven't really been following Kerry's progress through the championship I must admit.

Our backs did very well against the Dub's the main forward who the defenders had any trouble was Keaney who had a very good game.

Similar to the win against Laois they prevented, through Dublin mistakes and continuous pressure, the Dublin team from scoring until the 20th minute.

Apart from the goal, I think they managed to keep Jason Sherlock under lock and ke which was important.

I did say that there were holes in the back line but I do feel that Geraghty, and Heaney in particular played great games on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

kevmy wrote:
    If Donaghys not fit then Mayo should win as so much of the Kerry game plan is based on him. If he is fit then it 50 - 50. Hopefully the media and the nation will make Kerry good favourites and us fans can keep the hype down here in Mayo and not get as carried away as we have before.

Hmmm we were favorites long before Donaghy hit the limelight. I think we should win this. Should be an interesting Final but i think the break before the game may go against mayo more than kerry. Also lets not forget it could be Séamus Moynihan and Dara O'Se's last games and wouldn't they like to go out with a bang.

Now of course Mayo will see this as a chance to bury demons with a win over Kerry and they have some fantastic players but one thing i thought that made Mayo so lethal against Dublin was they had there shooting boots on that day (unlike so much of the rest of the championship). If this doesn't happen again they will suffer against Kerry.

(ya ya i know i'm also biased because i'm a kerryman.... UP THE KINGDOM)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Also lets not forget it could be Séamus Moynihan and Dara O'Se's last games and wouldn't they like to go out with a bang.

Yes but it will also probabley be James Nallen's last game and possibly David Brady and Kevin O'Neill. Three guys itching to win that elusive title. There are a good few guys who have lost 3 finals or at least 2. They'll be going all out.

What worries me more is that Donaghy is injured. Yes that is strange coming from a Mayo man but it means the Jack O'Connor and the lads will be preparing another plan in case Donaghy is absent. Throughout this year they've been pretty one dimensional. I'm sure they'll have something else up their sleeve. Even if Donaghy does play, I'd give Davey Heaney a fair chance against him. He's been the best full back in the country this year in my opinion and it will be quite a tussle.

Other key areas: Galvin vs Higgins; Moynihan vs G.Brady; McCarthy vs Mortimor; T. O'Se vs Dillon; D.O'Se vs McGarrity.

I'm not sure Higgins will hold Galvin despite his superb form. He's hard to stop in full flight and roams all over the place. Moynihan is the engine of this Kerry team. Brady will have to run at him time and time again to keep him in his own 45. Mort is having a sterling year and is proving himself in Croke Park. Dillon is the same, unbelieveable year for the guy. Dara O'Se will be a key player to stop. It was him who continually delivered balls into Johnny Crowley in 04. Stop him hitting the bomber and we have a chance.

Like the Dublin game, I'm going to be pessimistic. I've been pessimistic against Galway, Laois, Cork (U-21) and Dublin this year and we've won! So hopefully they'll prove me wrong again.

Whatever happens I'll be there roaring on the boys. C'mon Mayo!

I've just heard security will be increased by 3 times as the hope to present the title in the middle of the pitch.

What a load of bollocks.

If Mayo win the All-Ireland, I'm afraid there'll be no stopping me or a number of people I know, getting on the pitch.

I'm thinking of setting up an online petition against this. One of the most important things about winning an All-Ireland is getting on the pitch and congradulating the lads personally. It'll probabley be the closest you get to the players on the day or for some time after.

They can shove their presentation up their arse.

I've just heard security will be increased by 3 times as the hope to present the title in the middle of the pitch.

What a load of bollocks.

If Mayo win the All-Ireland, I'm afraid there'll be no stopping me or a number of people I know, getting on the pitch.

I'm thinking of setting up an online petition against this. One of the most important things about winning an All-Ireland is getting on the pitch and congradulating the lads personally. It'll probabley be the closest you get to the players on the day or for some time after.

They can shove their presentation up their arse.

It's a load of bollocks, i mean fair enough for all other matches but for a final how can they think fans won't run on pitch. Was at the match sunday. Fair funny to hear "revert to Plan B"
    If Mayo win the All-Ireland, ....

Sure it won't happen anyway so it's all the same :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Dapos wrote:

I hope the pundits and papers take the same line. They said exactly the same about Mayo against Dublin (and to a lesser extent Laois) and also about Kilkenny in the Hurling.

Have to agree with UnitedIrishman here - if I am fortunate enough to be at the game it will take armed guards to keep me off the pitch should Mayo win.

Blackjack wrote:
    Have to agree with UnitedIrishman here - if I am fortunate enough to be at the game it will take armed guards to keep me off the pitch should Mayo win.

There are some grown men I know that will take as many security guards out as they can before staying in their seat to watch the trophy presentation. I'd be disappointed if Kerry fans are not bothered about it.
    Dapos wrote:

Last time I was that cocky was the 2004 final. You keep telling yourselves that! It's a dangerous attitude to have. ;) Hopefully the press will write us off again and put the pressure on Kerry, which in fairness it is. There's no pressure on Mayo, they aren't expected to be in this position. So we'll see how it goes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Does anyone else have a feeling that this could be a cracker of a game, if Mayo play the same way as they did against Dublin then i think Kerry will just naturally raise their game too.
    I have heard some people saying that Kerry are not as motivated or wont be too disapointed if Mayo win cos they deserve sam after so many disapointments but i think once the ball is thrown in, it will be a great battle backed up with some classy players on both teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

It was great to see the Kilkenny fans marching onto the field and I realised many's the childhood dreams when I got onto the pitch and in front of the Hogan in 2004 when Kerry beat Mayo to win the All-Ireland. Keeping people of the pitch is totally wrong and i think it makes the game.

I for certain will not be held back win lose or draw and will march on because whoever wins I will be happy as I could not have it in the heart to begrudge Mayo a win. However in 2000 when Kerry beat Galway in the Replay the presentation was done in the centre of the field as the Hogan Stand was being refurbished at the time.

Kerry FTW and Donaghy to "Dom" em out of it. It will be a classic if ever there will be one, Kerry have beaten Mayo in their last two finals so who knows what will happen on the day.

• Advertisement

I have heard some people saying that Kerry are not as motivated or wont be too disapointed if Mayo win cos they deserve sam after so many disapointments but i think once the ball is thrown in, it will be a great battle backed up with some classy players on both teams

No Kerry team travels to the capital to lose. I think that'll be the case on Septemper 17th. I'll be happy if we perform to the level we did against Dublin. If the lads give it everything they have in the tank, then they can bring Sam home.

That's what makes Kerry ..... well erm... Kerry.

They play to win .... sure they will shake our hands if we win, but there's no way on Earth Kerry are going to make it easy for Mayo.

And god help anyone in a yellow jacket who will try and stop me and 45000 other Mayo supporters get onto that pitch if we're ahead when they final whistle blows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 skelp.ie

I think everyone would like to see mayo win Sam but the question is can they repeat the dublin performance. They will need to if they are going to get the better of kerry

Last time I was that cocky was the 2004 final. You keep telling yourselves that! It's a dangerous attitude to have. ;) Hopefully the press will write us off again and put the pressure on Kerry, which in fairness it is. There's no pressure on Mayo, they aren't expected to be in this position. So we'll see how it goes. :)

I'd say Kerry team and management would trying there best to avoid cockiness. Jasus i was only trying to rise ye (which i succeeded in doing). Sure is there something wrong in believeing in ur team?

Dapos wrote:
    I'd say Kerry team and management would trying there best to avoid cockiness. Jasus i was only trying to rise ye (which i succeeded in doing). Sure is there something wrong in believeing in ur team?

Nah you didn't rise me. I know it was only a bit of banter! I was just saying that from my point of view I hope Kerry are cocky going into the game. Nothing mroe than that.

Nothing wrong in believing in your team of course. Like I said, I know it was only a bit of pre-match banter. :)

I cannot see Kerry being Cocky...

Now they might start slow, and thats a product of the time off, I have been banging on abou this all year....

Cocky - No, what has happened since they beat Armagh, to reinforce this theory?....

Mayo played in what can now confidentally be classed as game of the centuary, add to that they were underdogs and won !

Kilkenny beat Cork, wont go as far as to say that was a contender for game of the centuary - but it was still an epic, and guess what - they were underdogs and they won!

We have television too in Kerry, we will be doing everything to ensure this does not go down as the year of the underdog!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭ChewyLuey

Aido c wrote:
    I cannot see Kerry being Cocky...
    We have television too in Kerry, we will be doing everything to ensure this does not go down as the year of the underdog!

It already is the year of the Underdog I'm afraid Aldo. A certain Underdogs midfielder from 2004 by the name of Donaghy !!! :D

ChewyLuey wrote:
    It already is the year of the Underdog I'm afraid Aldo. A certain Underdogs midfielder from 2004 by the name of Donaghy !!! :D

It's a great story, the GAA needs this sort of stuff.

If only 'The Underdogs' was around 15 years ago ! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

The only reason Kerry are favourites for this AI title is history and tradition. Now anybody that could back Kerry at 1/3 with any confidence is straight jacket material.

Now I'm assuming this will happen. MO'Se will pick up McDonald out around the middle. This will probably suit O'Se because he loves to attack anyway. However look whats left inside....Mortimer on McCarthy. With Mortimers pace and guile he should get the better of him. This year I think the Kerry half back line is very weak. Yes they performed against Armagh but in all fairness this Armagh team is not exactly in the full flush of youth. Dillon and Brady are good footballers while Billy Joe does his fair amount. Midfield is the key to this game. Everyone is talking about Donaghy but remember he has to get the ball first. The Mayo midfield, as a pair, are better than the Kerry midfield. There is no doubt than the Kerry forwards are better than Mayo's and are more liable to punish the opposition.

I find it really really hard to call this game as it hinges on what happens at midfield. If my head was on the block I'd have to plump for Kerry however as a neutral I really hope Mayo can win it.

• Advertisement

Kerry teams generate favorite tags in many ways, tradition yes, another is when you see oddities like corner backs knocking over points.

Thing is, this kind of thing only happens when we are ahead. Our reputations are rarely assessed when we are on the back foot, there is often then an implosion, with everybody dazed and confused afterwards....
    Mayo now has a reputation cast in stone for fighting on their backs, Kerry not so much.

Hawker is right, our half backline has a reputation built on attacking play. I would much prefer to see one built on defense. You should not need to have half backs and corner backs taking pops if the forwards are doing their jobs.

I cannot see Donaghy having a huge effect the next day, especially if they start horsing in any old ball into him. He plays too close to the keeper, outside of that there will be a lot of traffic on All Ireland day. They need to use him judicially.

Advertisement