Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eircom - Line of sight dish

• 21-08-2006 12:59pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    We are finishing a new build.
    There is a connection 14 across a secondary road for the Eircom.

Now if we are to cross the road I have to pay Mayo COCO 500 euro for a permit then dig it and fill it back in.
    I think this is bullS*** but if I want a landline I have to do this.

Spoke to Eircom and my only other alternative is a dish on the side of the house, line of sight. Mast is 3 miles away.

Soooo, does anyone know anything about these dishes? Good or bad?

If I go this route am I tied to Eircom and cannot change provider?
    I will not be able to get Broadband speeds, we cannot get it anyway, YET, so maybe I get a sat dish to get broadband.

What do ye think?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

yop wrote:
    Guys,
    We are finishing a new build.
    There is a connection 14 across a secondary road for the Eircom.

Now if we are to cross the road I have to pay Mayo COCO 500 euro for a permit then dig it and fill it back in.
    I think this is bullS*** but if I want a landline I have to do this.
    eircom should do the dig and pay for it. Its in their USO (Universal Service Obligation) that they must supply a line on request . If teh copper is the other side of the road only then hassle them and Comreg.
    Spoke to Eircom and my only other alternative is a dish on the side of the house, line of sight. Mast is 3 miles away.

Soooo, does anyone know anything about these dishes? Good or bad?
    bad its a rurtel or 3.5ghz omni. BB will cost €700 installation for 512k max and thast IF THEY will do it.
    If I go this route am I tied to Eircom and cannot change provider?
    I will not be able to get Broadband speeds, we cannot get it anyway, YET, so maybe I get a sat dish to get broadband.

you are indeed tied to eircom unless you get a phone line as in copper wire , be prepared to argue with Comreg over everything

Sat is utter crap, maybe try Westnet.ie and VoIP instead .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I asked Eircom and got someit like we no longer dig the road...

utter crap, they dig all the time. bet they never wrote that down :D

how far is your house from the nearest eircom pole ???

is it the far side of the road ??

how far is the boundary of your property from this pole ??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Pipe is run to outside of our house, connection is in the ground on the edge of the road which is 16ft away. Secondary road, so either need to drill across or cut the road.
    I emailed Comreg to see what they have on this

are there no houses with a telephone on your side of the National Secondary Road ????

how far is the nearest one , ie where poles could be used ?

• Advertisement

Eircom tried for a pole but we seem to have rock in the only place they can put a pole!

Other house beside us have their underground connection about 10 years

yop wrote:
    Eircom tried for a pole but we seem to have rock in the only place they can put a pole!
    but they can put a pole anywhere (they have right of way to do so) is the whole area a rock ? It could be behind a wall not on the roadside.
    Other house beside us have their underground connection about 10 years
    and can any cable be pulled thru this connection (normally a 1 Inch wavin pipe) , eg if they have a 2 pair cable could a 4 pair cable be pulled thru alongside or instead of that ??

if they have a 4 pair coming across then surely there is a spare pair under the road, etc etc.

can you check any of this yourself, yes it may mean skiting up a pole on your side of the road with a ladder so it might.

you willl need all the facts you can amass.

All outside and drive is tarmac, it would mean cutting the tarmac outside their wall.

All rock it seems, they got in a machine to check but kept hitting rock.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Not that I'm an expert in these things but how is that you could build your house on this "rock" but eircom cannot put a pole into it??

is there any stream or culvert under that road ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭bealtine

Sounds like to me like this job is being talked up to cost more than the Comreg imposed limits. So a few bob can be made on the job...

The rock is running close to the wall at the house, none where the house is but I cannot put the pole up near the house either! Catch 22 !!

the comreg limit is €7000,
    a pole (installed) is €600 while
    trenching across a road is €120 a metre (including repairing the asphalt or tarmac) very few roads are over 20 metres across are they

Sponge Bob - The 120 per meter, who charges that ?? Eircom or the Mayo COCO?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Hi Yop,

I have the Eircom FWA telephone connection you mention onto the Castlebar mast. I have a phone line to the pole on the other side of the road too (didn't know you had to pay Mayo Co Co anything ;) ... well its a minor road anyway!) but Eircom wanted to preserve the number of lines in the local exchange. It works perfectly, I must say. Even gave me better dial up speeds that I was getting until I got Westnet Broadband.

It just uses a small white aerial that you wont notice after the first day. But a someone else has already pointed out, you could go for Westnet and Blueface VOIP for your landline calls... I'm sure you have a mobile if this system is down for any reason!. (Not that it happens but just in case)

Hope this helps.

Hey, Avns1s - thanks for the input. How far are you from the mast, I am about 3.5 miles on the Westport side of the mast which if anything blocks me I am bother am I not???

I am also on a minor road, linking Westport Road with Ballinrobe road but I think I am caught.

U got good speeds on the dialup did you? That sounds good. But why have u got both???

Daft questions but since I live in Islandeady, this region is not covered by Westnet, so I presume I cannot use Blueface either.... or am I arse about face with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Sorry to hijack your thread OP, but I wanted to ask a quick question.

My granmother's friend (in her 80s) has a house at the end of a private drive. Her next door neighbours dug through the phone line a month ago. She rang eircom at her neighbours house, they came out and said, sorry, not our problem, and refused to repair the damage to the line. I called them then, and they came out again and said, if you can find the other end of the broken line, we will fix it for you.. and again they refuse to repair it.

Surely this is illegal, surely they are obliged to find the other end and repair it, isnt it in their USO? Who do I complain to on her (grans friend) behalf? Comreg? I mean, dont eircom have equipment for finding buried lines? Couldnt they find the other end and join it together? Feck, if I could find the other end I would fix it myself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Feck, if I could find the other end I would fix it myself :D

Call ComReg and explain the situation. A woman in her 80's has been without a phone line for a month, and Eircom is refusing to fix it or provide any kind of timely service. They should get on your case, and if they don't, that would be highly interesting.

email bobby hannon in comreg, its his department

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

yop wrote:
    Daft questions but since I live in Islandeady, this region is not covered by Westnet, so I presume I cannot use Blueface either.... or am I arse about face with this!
    We're working on covering Islandeady at the moment... PM me to discuss further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Call ComReg and explain the situation. A woman in her 80's has been without a phone line for a month, and Eircom is refusing to fix it or provide any kind of timely service. They should get on your case, and if they don't, that would be highly interesting.
    Thanks a mill, I'll do that now.

Advertisement