Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mensa Test

• 09-08-2006 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, firstly I'm not sure where I should post this....
    I applied for the test from Mensa Ireland a few weeks back http://www.mensa.ie/. I set my timer and completed it this morning, took 38 minutes, whether I got enough right answers is another matter.

Anyway I was wondering has anybody else done this test and will I need to do an additional sit-down test. The reason I ask, is that judging by their website
    the closest test to me is in UCD and I live in Limerick, only time I'm ever in Dublin is for a concert or similar event.

Apologies if this isn't really the most appropriate place.
    Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

I cannot answer your question but I was hoping you could answer one for me. I'm curious

Why do you want to join Mensa? What is the appeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Rnger wrote:
    Why do you want to join Mensa? What is the appeal?

You get a nice card saying "I'm speshul".

Some people just feel the need to belong to a group.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

There's not much point to joining Mensa.

If you do well enough in the home test, you can do the sit-in test. Can't remember too many details since I did it 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Rnger wrote:
    I cannot answer your question but I was hoping you could answer one for me. I'm curious

Always wondered, they say to interact with people as intelligent as you or something. I suppose its the same as joining a club of any kind. Do you have to pay by the way?

No idea about the exams

Sico wrote:
    You get a nice card saying "I'm speshul".

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

If I managed to get in I think it would look good on my cv... I've a few other reasons but that is one. Also, yes there are membership fees, they have student rates too. I've subsequently had my original question answered but thanks anyway guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Mensa membership would look great on a CV; I may consider doing it. I'd say a lot of people do it just for fun too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes you turn up to do the sit down test. I did it a million years ago, when I was young and vain.

I let my membership lapse - being good at IQ tests doesn't make people interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Somebody once said that having a high IQ is merely a measure of ones ability to do well at IQ tests.

Once they are done distinguishing between the circle with the triangle and the squares with the diamonds - whether they are also intelligent, articulate, driven, socially adept or ultimately successfull in their life/profession is a different matter entirely.

P.S. I always thought that Mensa gave you an artificially high IQ to make you inclined to rush your subscription to them post haste. - At least my Mensa scores were always WAY high :o ;) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭daymobrew

spurious wrote:
    Yes you turn up to do the sit down test. I did it a million years ago, when I was young and vain.
    So did I but didn't make the grade.
    Advice: don't do the test after a late night out drinking with your mates. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just wondering, how high do you have to score to get into Mensa?
    120+, 130+?????
    Just always wondered. I did an IQ test years ago, when I was in primary school. (Wasn't in the school or anything to do with it, was part of research into children and diabetics).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

You need to be in the top 2% of IQ scores but I'm not sure what score would place you in the top 2%.

I joined Mensa when I was in fifth class. I just wanted to know whether I would be able to get in and needless to say, I did not participate in any of their little activities. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Dr. Octagon

To answer your question you need to be in the top 2% for membership, i.e. 148 or more.

I think the home test may be deceptively easy, I got 155 so I must have been on form that day. It's fundamentally flawed though, intelligence isn't constant for any individual...I feel bright somedays and profoundly stupid on others. Procrastination and bad timing have stopped me from getting round to doing the proper test. Does anyone know what's involved? I know there are two tests, what are they?

My academic grades are hardly stellar through a few years of disinterest so it might add something to my cv and put some emphasis on my creative skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

To answer your question you need to be in the top 2% for membership, i.e. 148 or more.

I think the home test may be deceptively easy, I got 155 so I must have been on form that day. It's fundamentally flawed though, intelligence isn't constant for any individual...I feel bright somedays and profoundly stupid on others. Procrastination and bad timing have stopped me from getting round to doing the proper test. Does anyone know what's involved? I know there are two tests, what are they?

My academic grades are hardly stellar through a few years of disinterest so it might add something to my cv and put some emphasis on my creative skills.
    id like to have a go at it too, how do you go about (i) getting the home test, (ii) applying to do the sit-in tes, (iii) how much is the sit-in test?

I applied through mensa.co.uk, they sent out the home test pack and charge you £/€16 (not sure which) to correct it.

I think the formal test is about €20-30 but I'm not sure.

I know there are two tests, one culturally fair standard IQ test and something else..

Anyone have any further info?

I'm sure it's obvious but I forgot to mention:

If you get 148 or higher you are invited to take the formal test.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

I did the test in UCD Dublin about 23 years ago after trying the home test.
    Can't remember the cost but I had a bet with the lads in work.
    You needed 148 to qualify.
    I scored 147 (:mad: ) the first time and did a retest as I was within
    the % allowed to sit again.
    Scored 146 in the retest. :(
    It was the pride and bragging rights rather then the money
    which forced me into doing it for a third time.
    I scored 145 that time and decided enough was enough and gracefully
    retired to let the slagging commence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

where are you working NASA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Aard wrote:
    Mensa membership would look great on a CV; I may consider doing it. I'd say a lot of people do it just for fun too.
    I think a lot of people might consider it pretentious to put in on your CV. At least, I never did, after joining... and I let my membership lapse after a couple of years too.

However, whatever people's feelings are on the legitimacy of the testing and whether members are automatically pretentious or something, it was actually a fun club to be a member of. Interesting articles in the newsletters etc... and they had an annual meeting thing with loads of interesting games and social events.
    I went to one of these and had a great time. Also met some surprisingly smart people (I had assumed that they might be a bunch of arrogant snobs, but was entirely wrong). :)
    I'd rejoin if I was bothered and could afford to spend that money (rather than diverting the rent).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Just My View

Don't put it on your CV. There is, if many of the posts on this forum are anything to go by, some sort of resentment towards people who are overtly intelligent. Bosses don't always hire the most clever people, they hire the ones that they think will fit the job and not leave too soon, out of boredom lack of challenge etc, They do not want it look like they chose the wrong candidate and have wasted training etc. So they will go for a safe bet.

By all means do it for your own satisfaction, it's not that expensive, the price of a meal out at most. Consider what effect it will have on your ego though if you crash and burn.

The top 2% is not that special really, in any gathering of say 200 people statistically there will be 4 potential Mensa members who probably will never do the test and never miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

It's up to you if you put it in your CV but it worked for me. I got at least one job that was influenced by it. It was one of the major talking points in the interview. Then again I am a quantum physicist so intelligence matters. Just make sure your CV is also brimming with other stuff too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Not necessarily hunnymonster.You need to be 'clever' to be a quantam physicist,not intelligent.Supposedly,there are 7 forms of intelligence so presumably you attain bragging rights to being 'intelligent' once you can categorise yourself under all 7

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

If I managed to get in I think it would look good on my cv... I've a few other reasons but that is one. Also, yes there are membership fees, they have student rates too. I've subsequently had my original question answered but thanks anyway guys.

That is the exact same reason it interests me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

J Mysterio wrote: »
    That is the exact same reason it interests me.
    FYI, the post to which you replied was 9 years, 9 months and 26 days old. If you'd just waited a couple more months it would have been the post's ten year anniversary :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Sherlof3

Has anyone retested and improved their score? I scored top 3% when I did the test in May, thinking about redoing it?

Advertisement