Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Castlebar...best pubs, clubs, etc

Options
  • 24-07-2006 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hey all...

Four hot London babe's need to know the best pubs, clubs, ect in Castlebar, Co. Mayo. Going to be there for a week in early August. Any idea's much appreciated...;)

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

I've some bad news for you, I spent 2.5 years working in Castlebar, avoid it & go to Westport instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭NYCityBabe

Yeah... I've actually been to Westport before & it's not bad... cute lil town! What is so awful about Castlebar? Is there nothing fun there?

NYCityBabe wrote:
    Yeah... I've actually been to Westport before & it's not bad... cute lil town! What is so awful about Castlebar? Is there nothing fun there?

Exactly, I must be careful what I write ( :) ) stick to westport.

OK... thanks for that!
    Has anyone got anything nice to say about the place?
    Are the boys cute? :)

NYCityBabe wrote:
    OK... thanks for that!
    Has anyone got anything nice to say about the place?
    Are the boys cute? :)

Suggest you get an opinon from the ladies :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Castlebar is a better town for going out in than Westport. Full Stop!

Castlebar is a better town for going out in than Westport. Full Stop!

Yeah of course ;)

Benny-c wrote:
    Yeah of course ;)

What the **** would you know, ive lived in castlebar all my life and regularly take a look over to westport which is ok, but castlebar is far ****in better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Without getting in to the which town is better for going out debate. Both towns have highs and lows.
    I'll stick with the original question best pubs in castlebar at the weekend Bar one can be good. Cox's has a good restaurant bar and a late licence (open till 2 am)
    also mulroys have a main bar and a new section up stairs which opens at the weekend.
    2 main nightclubs one in the welcome inn hotel and the other in the travellers friend hotel. Depends what music you like and what age group you in as to which is best.
    Hope this helps,
    Mark.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

sundodger5 wrote:
    Without getting in to the which town is better for going out debate. Both towns have highs and lows.
    I'll stick with the original question best pubs in castlebar at the weekend Bar one can be good. Cox's has a good restaurant bar and a late licence (open till 2 am)
    also mulroys have a main bar and a new section up stairs which opens at the weekend.
    2 main nightclubs one in the welcome inn hotel and the other in the travellers friend hotel. Depends what music you like and what age group you in as to which is best.
    Hope this helps,
    Mark.....

Good, fair and relevant post.

TBH the town has a number of good places some of which are mentioned above. It's not so big really so you'll be able to find them for yourselves. I hope you enjoy your visit. Pop back and let us know how you get on.

PS. Make sure you have a quick trip to Westport so Benny doesn't feel you ignored his advice even if it was off topic!:D

• Advertisement

Thanks so much guys... you've been really helpful! ;)
    Always good to know the better places, as it saves valuable fun time being wasted on the not so good spots!
    We shall check out the one's mentioned... by the way, we're all 21,22 & into varied music really... mainly indie/alternative & not so much the dance/electro scene. So, which of the clubs would play our kind of stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭sundodger5

If you are talking Saturday night you would be better off in the Welcome Inn.
    You will find most clubs play a variety of music anyway.
    Just as an aside and not wanting to kick off the big Westport/ Castlebar debate again but the Castlecourt hotel in westport has just undergone a major revamp including a new nightclub. Only opened a couple of weeks.
    If you are over for a couple of nights you could do both towns.
    Taxi over to Westport should cost no more than about 15 euro.
    Can be a long wait for one to get home though.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ruadan

I work in club Mantra (welcome inn) its hellish and the music is ****e, but its packed, only vaguely good club in town, although i get in free an dget cheap booze on nights out so mabie i have a skewed vision. TF tends tobe largely emptywith a larger proportion of tossers and a terrible atmosphere. Just try and be nice to the overworked barstaff if yer in WI...

Much as i hate cbar it does have a good fiew good pubs, despite all the clousures of late

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Hi all just wondering how long dose it take to drive from Dublin to Castlebar as Im heading over to the Irish Open Classic next month, cheers.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Depending on traffic (Friday evening would be about the worst) and the way you drive, you should be able to get from the Spa to Castlebar in two and a half to three hours.

I find with the new stretch of motorway, I can get down (in average traffic, not when its at its worst) in just over 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Cheers folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I find with the new stretch of motorway, I can get down (in average traffic, not when its at its worst) in just over 2 hours.
    Dublin to Westport in just over 2 hours, watch out for the postman...... the penalty points wll be on their way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

go to Westport, much better for the younger people. as for shopping, take a fifteen minute taxi ride to castlebar.

If you need a house to stay in, the four of you can sleep in my bed ;)

Hey there! Just got chance to get back on here now...

Thanks to you all for all your input...

We went to both towns & I gotta say Castlebar was rather fun, although we didn't get to check out as many pub's as we should have, coz we got so lazy we tended to stay where-ever we were after 11.30pm!
    We will be back again & shall not be so lazy next time!

Westport seemed to be a little quieter since the last time I was there, just didn't have the same fun atmosphere... and whats the deal with that new club, Plaza... we so couldn't get in & it was just after midnight... is it new policy in the west of Ireland to be in the nightclub before midnight?!! All the blagging in the world couldn't get us past the narky doormen & we work that all the time in the top clubs in London!!!

Anyway guys... you got a top little county & we'll be back soon for some more partying...;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement