Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your favourite Star Trek Series?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭flinx11

Oh it has to be Deep Space Nine. As was said before it was more character driven than any other trek series & the plots were the most intricate. The fact that after season two the story arc was bounced up & down so many times actually helped in the development of each character & you could see the effect of major developments in each characters storyline for a long time after made it more convincing than any of the other treks.

On a personal note the other thing I loved about DS9 were the ships shown in the latter seasons. As a trek modeller i was running out of canon ships to build & in one fell swoop in season six sonewhere in the region of 8 to 10 new ships appeared (Albeit for fractions of seconds in the fleet shots) made me reach for my pause button & run to the local model shop to buy a model I could kitbash.

I have to say that the fourth season of Enterprise was not as bad as everyone pointed out. I bought it for Christmas & watched it right through & i cant help thinking that if they had gone into season five with some of the ideas in four extrapolated it would have been worth watching.

At present im re-watching the entire TNG & im in the middle of season 2 & i cant help thinking its OTT on the melodrama but with the benifit of hindsight i know its going to get infinatly better after the borg show their ugly faces.

As for the complaints out there about inconsistencies in plotting & timelines in the most recent series it has been apparent throughout the last 40 years of trek on TV that the trek universe has been a movable feast therefore we should just suchk it up, live with the inconsistencies & enjoy whatever trek throws at us.

Even after that rant DS9 is still the best!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

The Next Generation or DS9.

Enterprise was sh1te. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Taishi

voyager definitely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

In order:
    TNG
    TOS
    DS9
    Voyager

Enterprise doesn't warrant a mention. *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

enterprise wasent that bad it had fantastic episodes in it but DS9 still

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

have to vote for TNG even though DS9 is great and probably is a better drama series but ya just don't feel the same love for the DS9 characters except for Worf, O'Brien and Quark and two of them are really TNG characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ivan087

1 - TNG - the best characters and some of the best storylines. but sometimes a little too 'fluffy'. plus wesley annoyed the hell out of me!

2 - DS9 - slips to 2nd because i could never see every episode in order. will buy the DVDs some day and maybe could be number 1...maybe!

3 - Ent - terrible casting, dodgy storylines for the most part, but it did have some good episodes, more so then voy!

4 - Voy - had so many annoying characters, only liked the doctor, hated the rest, boring stories, predictable, worst ending, worst episodes (the irish ones!) only remember a few good episodes (most of them involved the borg, but even they became tedious).

didnt see enough of the OS.

Best Character: Data
    Best Captain: Jean-Luc Picard (sisko close second)
    Best First Officer: Riker
    Best Non-Human: Data
    Best Engineer: Miles O'Brien, Ireland's finest
    Best Doctor: Dr.Phlox
    Most Annoying Character: wesley, followed by Neelix/janeway and most of the voyager crew
    Best Looker: the asian communications officer in enterprise
    Best Ship: USS Defiant
    Best Episode: too many. always liked 'datas day' from TNG

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gdez

I'm surprised & delighted how many people picked DS9.
    I love DS9 and i have always said that it's the best (closely followd by TNG) Star Trek series, but apart from my friends i thought most people would choose the TNG.
    Great to see.

since i started this poll ds9 has always been ahead by only a few votes less than 10 all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DCU|Robby

DS9 because i thaught it advanced the characters of Miles and Wharf quite well and the whole Dominion War plot was brialliant.

Not to mention some classic episodes for the saga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

TNG, you wouldnt have a french philosophizing captain with an english accent commandeering a starship in american tv today. Brilliant characters, I liked the fact that the show was so philosophical and sophisticated in its interpretation of social/political issues. Best starship design imo. Plus the borg, brilliant species, hasnt been rivalled since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DCU|Robby

But therer were some gay aspects to it aswell.

ie. Dudes wearing skirts in early seasons, the whole utopia thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭The Long Fellow

For me, Voyager is the best version by a good distance.
    I have seen bits of the other series, and have seen next gen quite alot, but for me (not being a Huge ST fan) it's the only one i'd be prepared to buy the dvd of, though i won't be doin that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

ivan087 wrote:
    Best Looker: the asian communications officer in enterprise
    *cough* 7 of 9 *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

Screw 7 of 9, Martina Sirtis (troi) for teh sex!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 TuneR

It would be DS9 vs TNG for me. TNG wins out cause it had a better ending, i mean WTF is with the second hour of DS9 ending!!!! Voyager had a kick ass ending as well but the rest of the series wasn't up to the previous years Star Treks.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

For me its always gonna be TNG. The characters characters are so much better than any of the other series although I must admit its the only series that ive seen almost every episode of. Ive tried watching DS9 and voyager but I never got hooked. The stories never really grabbed my attention TBH. My mate keeps at me to watch DS9 though and claims that you have to give it a while before you get into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 smilydude

Never really got into DS9 at all...absolutley loved TNG, grew up with it so it brings back good memories even now. Voyager being a close second though I think they ruined the Borg but the 7 of 9 character development aswell as the Doctor's personal development was extremely well treated.

I hate Enterprise with a vengeance, I found Archer an unconvincing captain and Bakula's acting really bland in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

TNG for me from Season 3 onwards and the movies were very good too especially First Contact, Generations and Nemesis (pity about the ending :( ) were ok. I enjoyed the plot and sub-plots of each episode, easy to pick it up if you missed one unlike DS9 where ya had to follow it weekly, I did like the Tribbles episode where they went back to Kirks time and they saw the old Klingons, Warf was asked about the change in appearance since kirks time to which Warf answered (paraphrasing here) "Dont ask its embarassing" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bllasae

1.)Voyager:D
    2.)The Next Generation
    3.)Deep Space Nine
    4.)Enterprise
    5.)The Original Series

• Advertisement

Ah I Dont belive it for the first time since i made this thread over 2 years ago TNG has taken the lead from DS9 Noooooo

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

smilydude wrote:
    Never really got into DS9 at all...absolutley loved TNG, grew up with it so it brings back good memories even now. Voyager being a close second though I think they ruined the Borg but the 7 of 9 character development aswell as the Doctor's personal development was extremely well treated.

I hate Enterprise with a vengeance, I found Archer an unconvincing captain and Bakula's acting really bland in places.

This accurately reflects my opinion. I'm amazed at the number of DS9 votes. I tried and tried and just couldn't get into that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

User45701 wrote:
    Ah I Dont belive it for the first time since i made this thread over 2 years ago TNG has taken the lead from DS9 Noooooo
    party time. :p
    stop, we have a winner. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

But therer were some gay aspects to it aswell.

ie. Dudes wearing skirts in early seasons, the whole utopia thing.

yar, the skirts thing is disturbing. I think it only lasted as far as the pilot episode. Also Wesley Crusher was another bad aspect to the series. The utopian thing I quite liked if by that you mean the way everything is so perfect in the federation...although the episode where they land on the paradise planet and wesley gets tried for murder...(laughably bad, and why is dr.crusher treating data, I thought it was geordi who was best qualified to deal with positronic malfunctions since he was an engineer. Plus in I Borg, Hugh refers to himself in the first person when learning about names before he understands what individuality is. Inconsistencies!

Playing a character like data would conceivably take considerable acting skills. Obviously data cant be completely emotionless, at times he expresses bewilderment, an emotion and so forth. This is to make the character interesting but brent spiner had to play it in a subdued subtle way so that we could still see him as an android.

Voyager is competent. I think at times it turned into the 7 of 9 show but there were some good characters and episodes.

DS9 I found boring, they didnt go anywhere and the first couple of series were very dull. Meh it was alright but the Bajoran ambassador or whoever she was who plummets to her death in the final episodes is one of the most annoying characters in star trek.

And TOS is always watchable. The episode where kirk and co get imprisoned in a dungeon with the wizard aliens...my god the special effects in that were even worse than usual (with the cat made to seem bigger than it was and the aliens revealed in their true forms at the end, they made absolutely no effort to hide the strings!, worst special effects episode ever).

I find I can watch enterprise as its quite enjoyable. Still sending your first starship crew out in boiler suits doesnt make much sense unless you really want to emphasize the back to basics nature of the series. Also the theme tu

ne sucked, uber **** cheesy american rawk. ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭-DuMbGuM-

Definatly TNG.. favourite episode us probably Frame Of Mind

2nd Enterprise

The Original Series is pretty funny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Voyager for me,new generation 2nd,
    never really got into the others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

DEEP SPACE 9. everything about it was awesome.
    only 2 bad stories ----dax's wedding to worf-- worst star trek episode ever and the episode in the early years when they had to hop out of a room they were trapped in. that was only 2 mistakes DS9 made, not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Definitely TNG for me. Easily the best characters.

aidan24326 wrote:
    Definitely TNG for me. Easily the best characters.

*Cough* Wesley *Cough*

It did introduce the borg tho but generations, FC, Insurrection and Nemesis where just not as good as the originals like Wrath Of Khan or Undiscovered Country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

User45701 wrote:
    *Cough* Wesley *Cough*

It did introduce the borg tho but generations, FC, Insurrection and Nemesis where just not as good as the originals like Wrath Of Khan or Undiscovered Country

Generations insurrection and nemesis are better films than Star trek 1 ,3 ,5 and first contact is easly the best star trek film ever made.

Advertisement