Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you find out who lives at an address?

• 11-07-2006 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭

I apologise if this is not the best forum for this request. It's a legal question really. Basically, I want to take a neighbour to court due to noise pollution. I know the address but not the name of the people in question. Is there any way I can find this out (without having to steal their post or beat them up as they exit the house and steal their wallet)

I was told seperatly by both a Garda and a local councilor that you can find out who lives at an address using the courts, but I visited to local district court office today and they had no idea how you would do this.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ask another neighbour!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

I sent around notes through every door in the area. no-one who responded knew their names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Isn't there a book that lists who owns every property in the country? I think it is quite hard to get your hands on though. Do you know any architects or solicitors? They might have a copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

rs wrote:
    I apologise if this is not the best forum for this request. It's a legal question really. Basically, I want to take a neighbour to court due to noise pollution. I know the address but not the name of the people in question. Is there any way I can find this out (without having to steal their post or beat them up as they exit the house and steal their wallet)

I was told seperatly by both a Garda and a local councilor that you can find out who lives at an address using the courts, but I visited to local district court office today and they had no idea how you would do this.

Any ideas?

The first think you need to do in a noise dispute is to talk to the person and explain you will be taking them to court if things break down. Simply you should ask and in theory the land register could be used but it can take 2 years to register people. You can call the guards if people are making noise and ask them their name.

Is this an appartment block?

ok, it gets a little complicated here.

I have issued a warning via the letter mentioned previously which I put through every door in the area (including the house that I want to take to court). I have tried knocking in the door several times, but no-one has been home. (except the barking dog of course, which is the problem)

At the time, I was working under the assuption that I would be able to find out the owners name by other means as I had been told by the Garda and the Councillor. I was also hoping to get a response from both the other neighbours and the house in question.

So far, I've heard nothing from the house in question and not gotten the name from anyone who responded to the letter.

So what do I do now. Go around to the house and say "Hi, I'm the guy who sent the threatening letter to you and all the other neighbours in the area. I can't actually take you to court until I know your name, so if you could kindly write it down on this 3x5 card, I'll see you in court"

Also, I know for a fact, that the Garda cannot provide the names in the case of a noise complaint. I asked the Garda at the time about this, and this is when I was told to use the courts.

The house in question is owned by occupants I believe, based on the condition of the house, garden, etc so searching the land registry might be possible if anyone know how you go about doing this?

• Advertisement

Hmm, www.landregistry.ie seems to suggest that I can go in and inspect the details of any registered property in Dublin for 2.50 a go, even if I have only the address of the property. Maybe this is my answer?

Anyone ever done this before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

rs wrote:
    ok, it gets a little complicated here.

I have issued a warning via the letter mentioned previously which I put through every door in the area (including the house that I want to take to court). I have tried knocking in the door several times, but no-one has been home. (except the barking dog of course, which is the problem)

OK then you are in the wrong!

Do you think it is reasonable to send a "threatening" letter to a bunch of people?

I wouldn't open the door to you after you did that. The first thing you do is talk to the person and you should appologise. AFAIK the offical steps to address such problems say talk to the person first.

What did you say in the letter?

I get being annoyed by something but it doesn't sound like the best approach to solve the problem or fit in with your neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If it's in Dublin it will probably be in Thom's directory. I think you can get it in a library. Presumably there's a national one too.

> Do you think it is reasonable to send a "threatening" letter to a bunch of people?

In the letter, I stated several things.

1. That the noise coming from the dog at this house was unacceptable and that I had tried unsuccessfully several times to knock on the door and draw the owners attention to it.

2. I mentioned my intention to take the owners of said house to court to deal with it.

3. I asked if any other people in the area had similar problems. (Several responded, thanking me for attempting to do this, as they also had problems with the same house. Many of these people have very young children)

I think sending a letter like this to a group of people is entirly more reasonable that leaving a dog barking all night resulting in my pregnant wife not getting any sleep. The responses I got from some of my neighbours have certainly confirmed this for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

rs wrote:
    I think sending a letter like this to a group of people is entirly more reasonable that leaving a dog barking all night resulting in my pregnant wife not getting any sleep. The responses I got from some of my neighbours have certainly confirmed this for me.

Then its not threatening , you are fine.

How about calling the dog warden/animal cruelty/ispcc . That poor beast could be left in there on its own all the time and could be starving and neglected and never exercised.

Your neighbours may have 'noticed' this neglect too.

Therefore it barks.

• Advertisement

Great tip on Thoms directory. The online fees for searches of it are pretty damn expensive (minimum buy is 75 euro plus vat).

I'll check out my local library and see if they have a copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

register of electors - library
    ask postman
    go through phonebook(s)
    Get someone to call to their door saying they're from Eircom / Tv License ect
    hire private detective

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

rs wrote:
    Great tip on Thoms directory. The online fees for searches of it are pretty damn expensive (minimum buy is 75 euro plus vat).

I'll check out my local library and see if they have a copy.

Might be only main libraries. Most Garda stations have a copy too
    t

My local library had a copy of Thom's 2006 directory ( I suspect most do, as our local one is very small, and they had several of them behind the counter, at least the 2006, 2005, 2004 editions ).

The estate is only about 4 or 5 years old though, and the directory only had about five or six entries out of the couple of hundred houses here. Not the one I was looking for though :(

However, for most older estates, there were listings for almost every house. Certainly worth investigating for anyone else in a similar situation. I looked up a few friends and most of them were in there.

The book is organized by street name in dublin from A-Z, so you just find the name of the street and it will give you the list of each address and the name of who lives there. As street names are re-used, it gives you the location of the street too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Then its not threatening , you are fine.

How about calling the dog warden/animal cruelty/ispcc . That poor beast could be left in there on its own all the time and could be starving and neglected and never exercised.

Your neighbours may have 'noticed' this neglect too.

Therefore it barks.

I'll second this idea.
    It's not suprising if the dog is barking if it is distressed and the owner is not taking proper care of it.

I'd guess what could be happening.
    Is the barking worse when noone is in the neighbours house like if they go to work every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have you tried making your complaint through the council?

Also check the register of electors (note you will have to check two different versions, the full and the public version).

Want to hang around there front gate in the morning? Want to wait for the postman?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭havana

Was in the Dublin City Council offices at the Planning Applications desk. They had a big book lying on the counter that seemed to show the names of who lived at every addess. Looked myself up and lo and behold there I was!!! A bit surprising I have to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OP Try searching this http://www.dublincity.ie/business_services/planning/planning_search/
    havana wrote:
    Was in the Dublin City Council offices at the Planning Applications desk. They had a big book lying on the counter that seemed to show the names of who lived at every addess. Looked myself up and lo and behold there I was!!! A bit surprising I have to say!
    Thom's Directory.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

i wouldn't bother calling the ISPCA about a barking dog - they have bigger fish to fry (not literally)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Hippo

If you want to go through the land registry, call to their offices for the Dublin (I'm assuming?) section in Setanta House on Nassau Street, the staff behind the counter will help you out. If it's registered in the Land registry they can give you the registered owner, though not necessarily the occupants. It may be unregistered there and instead registered in the Registry of Deeds, but you would need a name to search against there as well as an address. What area do you live in, I could give you a guess as to which registry you are likely to be in. I do this for a living :)

• Advertisement

A search at the land registry office got me the names I needed, and a quick phonebook search confirmed the details.

A friend works in a solictors office and did the land registry seaches for me, so I did not actually have to do it myself, which was a nice time saver.

Woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

As a matter of interest, can I get a complete listing of everyone who owns an apartment in a block that is all registered land? How much would this search cost me?

It depends whether everyone owns leasehold or freehold. If freehold, each apartment will be assigned to a separate folio, so it'll cost you 5 euro per apartment. If it's leasehold property, the developer's parent folio will give you info on all the leasholders, and that'll only cost you a fiver- 2.50 for the plan number and 2.50 for the folio.

Thanks Hippo

No problem

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭jiminho

Resurrecting an old thread here but came across it. In a similar situation regarding trying to find the owners of a few properties. The land registry got me a few names but if the owners have been living in their home for over 10+ years, there’s no information available. I can’t find this Thoms directory though; is it still a thing or anyone have any other suggestions?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thoms ceased publication a decade ago. Even then it was comically out of date for houses - it relied on the electoral register, and most people opt out of the commercial version of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Del Boy

www.landdirect.ie

Costs €5 to find out who owns the property. If it rented just contact owner for help.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only any use if the last sale was registered. Which wasn't compulsory in many counties until quite recently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It's actually nearly 11 years since Cork and Dublin finally fell into line with more civilised counties, which I suppose is a short period when we're talking about land law.

Advertisement