Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Earth

• 09-06-2006 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone here can help me quick!

I'm working on Google Earth at the minute and am using the 'layer' function to overlay old map sections over certain area's, but once I size the new layer up and 'ok' it, I cant get that layer active again to fade it in and out. Anyone know if I can do this or how?? Sorry if this is the wrong place but I maybe someone here might know.

Cheers,

CroppyBoy1798

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Select the layer on the list to the left and you will notice a small scroll bar below the layer list. This will fade the layer in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Ah hah! Got it now, thanks a mil TomTom, much appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

i love a happy ending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

Is it just me or are Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Waterford shown in Irish only? Belfast and Derry are in English..

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4582/googleearth7bx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Theres also a Google Earth forum for future reference, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Is it just me or are Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Waterford shown in Irish only? Belfast and Derry are in English..

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4582/googleearth7bx.jpg
    Because Irish is the official language of Ireland and English is the official language of the United Kingdom.

Someone should really tell google we all speak english down here and a lot of us wouldnt have a clue about the irish place names.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

and throw our heritage in the crapper. Good idea.

Google have it spot on. There should be only one name for each country in different languages and that's the origianal countrys name in their mother tonge. There should be no Ireland or Irelande but just Eire in French/Spanish/English. FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Google have it spot on. There should be only one name for each country in different languages and that's the origianal countrys name in their mother tonge. There should be no Ireland or Irelande but just Eire in French/Spanish/English. FACT!

Heritage is nice, not knowing where you're going because the map is published in a language that 95% of the population don't use in normal discourse with placenames that noone including the locals who live there commonaly use to satisfy nationalistic ambitions of a long dead generation is not nice.

eh, putting "FACT" at the end of a statement does not make it so. The island with live on is Ireland in the English language, Éire (with fada) in Irish, Irlande in French and so forth. A language speaking group generally determine what they call a place. The regieme in Burma may insist that we call the place Myanmur when speaking English, but we can happily ignore them.

I assume you are supporting the Italia sporting team, are happy that Deutschland are out. Cheered on Conferderatzione Helvetia in the first round.

You get the idea, when referring to a country in english, use the english name. Anything else is just silly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

To0 true!

Looks like another frustrated Gaeilge student, failed by the Irish curriculum, now bitter and resentful about Ireland's heritage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭pvt. joker

crap...i never realized google maps was updated with higher res images of ie. :bowdown:

When was the last time you checked? They updated east Dublin last year and the quality isn't as good as it was before. It seems very washed out. Have a look at the edge of the west city centre and you can compare for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭pvt. joker

When was the last time you checked? They updated east Dublin last year and the quality isn't as good as it was before. It seems very washed out. Have a look at the edge of the west city centre and you can compare for yourself.

i was looking at the cottage that we stayed at a few months ago. It's in New Quay, cty clare on galway bay. see the link....

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=ireland&ie=UTF8&ll=53.155556,-9.072615&spn=0.002258,0.006781&t=h&om=1

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved from AH.

Advertisement