Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Major Outage at Hosting365

Options
  • 05-07-2006 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

There was a major outage at hosting 365 today. We lost access to our deidcated servers at a little before 13:15. For the next 30 minutes, all site using hosting 365, including boards.ie and www.hosting365.ie, were unavailable.

The sites came back at about 13:45, but there is no comment on the hosting 365 site as yet.

When the servers came back, we noticed that our dedicated servers had been rebooted, so it looks to me like there was a power outage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Surely it couldn't have been a power outage, they have redundant systems and generators on site don't they ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭eoge

Yeah. It got me bad too.

Apparently there was a fire at their data centre.

Anyone know of an SMTP server that'll let me send mail through it? I still can't use mail.hosting365.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭the_batman

I tried to log on to their support forum, but as you can see from the attached image, it is not available.

There is still no update on their site. I can understand them having a fire and this causing them an outage, but surely they should put something up on their site to let their 50,000 + customers know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

eoge wrote:
    Anyone know of an SMTP server that'll let me send mail through it? I still can't use mail.hosting365.ie.
    Your ISP should allow you to relay

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

and did the sprinklers come on <cough>

Sponge Bob wrote:
    and did the sprinklers come on <cough>
    I think they have a halon system there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the_batman wrote:
    I think they have a halon system there.

How many were choked to death ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

apparently an esb substation blew and took out power in park west ... 365 should have been unaffected by that.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

In fairness they are probably still trying to fix everything and will make an announcement later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

An official announcement will be posted to our forums in the next few minutes. Apologies to those customers affected, we suffered from an unfortunate confluence of events. All systems are 100%.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    How many were choked to death ???
    I used to work in a large datacentre with the halon system. I was always terrified that it would go off when I was in the room.

I was told that there was a 20 second delay between the alarm going off and the system initiating. I still never felt comfortable in that room!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

An official announcement will be posted to our forums in the next few minutes. Apologies to those customers affected, we suffered from an unfortunate confluence of events. All systems are 100%.
    I have to question this 100% comment, because I can see a couple of shared hosting sites that have not come back since the outage. PM me if you want details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 clarkee

Any further updates from anybody?

clarkee wrote:
    Any further updates from anybody?
    I have logged onto the Hosting 365 forums, but there doesn't appear to be any udpate. The hosting365 blog hasn't been updated either.

I can understand that they are trying to get the service back to normal, but it is a pretty poor effort that the only update I have seen from hosting 365 was a post on boards.ie promising an official announcement in a few minutes which didn't arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I can confirm our machines were rebooted, sorry for the temporary lack of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

1 years free hosting for everyone, Steve????? :D

Those sites I mentioned about came back online in the last five minutes.

DJB wrote:
    1 years free hosting for everyone, Steve????? :D

*edit from mod
    Keep your friend's problems with H365 between him and H365

smarty wrote:
    ...it is a pretty poor effort that the only update I have seen from hosting 365 was a post on boards.ie promising an official announcement in a few minutes which didn't arrive.

Give them a chance. AFAIK this has never happened before (in the many years they've been going) so I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt here. Anyway, we're back up and running and nobody got hurt. It is funny how much the Irish web scene relies on them though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

smarty wrote:
    ...it is a pretty poor effort that the only update I have seen from hosting 365 was a post on boards.ie promising an official announcement in a few minutes which didn't arrive.

Why is it a poor effort - this is not the h365 support forums nor is it their helpline.

If people want to start bitching about h365 do it on their forums, not here. Atleast that way you are bitching to the people who care

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Why is it a poor effort - this is not the h365 support forums nor is it their helpline.

If people want to start bitching about h365 do it on their forums, not here. Atleast that way you are bitching to the people who care

I'm presuming he thinks it's a poor effort because there was no similiar announcement made on their forums afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

perhaps it's a poor effort because customers should have been emailed / updated, before boards.ie users?

Stephen posted here before I got a response to my support ticket. Still no sign of the promised official announcement on their forums either.

.cg

Is everything defo fixed? ALL my sites are still down.

Anyone else having this problem?

DOLEMAN wrote:
    Is everything defo fixed? A few of my sites are still down.

Anyone else having this problem?
    I am aware of a few sites that were offline until about 16:45. They were on shared hosting. Maybe they required some manual intervention after the first problem.

I am not shared hosting. I have a dedicated server... Try www.dole.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

cgarvey wrote:
    perhaps it's a poor effort because customers should have been emailed / updated, before boards.ie users?

A significant number of the readers of this forum are H365 customers. Pretty quick way to reach the masses IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

http://forums.hosting365.ie/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=952

Apologies for the delay, the priority has been on restoring service to any effected customers.

DOLEMAN wrote:
    I am not shared hosting. I have a dedicated server... Try www.dole.ie
    Your issue is a DNS issue. I tried to ping www.dole.ie and it would not resolve.

• Advertisement

Sico wrote:
    A significant number of the readers of this forum are H365 customers. Pretty quick way to reach the masses IMO.
    The quickest way to reach the masses would be to put a message on the Hosting365 site or hosting365 forum.

That is the first place that I went. Then I came to boards.ie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement