Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cricket in Ireland/Pimp your Club!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ccfcexile

Would love to learn how to play but im only a sky sports watcher when it comes down to it anyone any ideas ? im living in greystones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Dubhelp

More than welcome starts next Thursday 2nd Feb in WEsley at 9pm. YOu might just be the new Flintoff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Dubhelp wrote:
    More than welcome starts next Thursday 2nd Feb in WEsley at 9pm. YOu might just be the new Flintoff

so proper gimps can try if they want, we wont be laughed at?

i played as a kid, but like i said in another thread, being from Tallaght, and oplaying cricket as a young teenager really didnt add to "street cred"

omg, i sound like im from the bronx :D:D:D

Dubhelp wrote:

so proper gimps can try if they want, we wont be laughed at?

i played as a kid, but like i said in another thread, being from Tallaght, and oplaying cricket as a young teenager really didnt add to my "street cred"

omg, i sound like im from the bronx :D:D:D

No one will get laughed at by any means...you will learn the basics of the game and participate in some games etc that will help you understand the game

• Advertisement

hmmm, interesting

what gear is needed, i dont have to go and splash out on a fancy MRF bat do i? :D

runners and a tracksuit. the only important thing is runners as they dont let you in the gym otherwise

Dubhelp wrote:
    runners and a tracksuit. the only important thing is runners as they dont let you in the gym otherwise

being a "tallafornian", runners and a trackie shouldnt be a problem ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

Cloughy,

When does winter nets start in Railway?

How many teams are Railway putting out this year? Are you getting rid of your 3rds and 4ths?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

Railway are putting out again this season 4 league teams and a 5th in the cup.

We have a number of new senior players and also some returning from overseas, so should be competitive again and hopefully gain promotion from section B, and have another good run in the various cup comps.

Regarding indoor training, contact Derek Carroll from club website and he will have details of preseason training.

Thats great that your numbers are up again.

Our nets had 5 new people and we look forward to welcoming a lot of new memebrs throughout the season.

so is it too late to join?

what nights is practise on?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

no its not too late to join, indoor nets are being arranged as we speak looking at mid/end March and then revert to outdoor nets begining of April.

The more members the better. If you required details go onto Railways website for contact no etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 carra

chrisbonnie - I would seriously encourage you not to join a club like Railway Union as a beginner. Clubs like Sandyford are much better for beginners, you'll get more encouragement and most importantly you will get to play lots of cricket. Clubs like Railway and other senior clubs tend to be the death of those wanting to take the game up. Go to Sandyford nets and see how it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

Carra,
    who do you play for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 carra

Don't play anymore but have played for big club and little club. I took the game up in my 20's having never played before, joined a big club and didn't get any cricket except when they were stuck. Joined a small club and was involved from from day 1 and was playing in a team every week. Turned into a reasonable cricketer.

Chris I cant strongly advise you enough not to join Railway or any large club if you take up cricket. There is a lot of cliqueyness and prima donnas in these places and not exactly the place to learn cricket. We had 30 at nets last night including our 5 newcomers nad we take you through all the basics of the game. Sandyford, North Wicklow and Civil Service you will find all the decent people who play cricket and not get involved in snobbery.

Also Railway won't even give you a Sandwich or a drinks break.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I started out with North Wicklow...many moons ago now. Have to say there was a great atmosphere there. It was around the time that Ed and Dominic Joyce where coming to the fore.

Most of the club was made up of the Joyces (8 of them) and the costellos (5 of them). Played with the 2nds for 2 years then a year with merrion before hanging up my gloves and concentrating on football.

Been thinking of getting back into it for while now. In terms of who you should join it comes down to what you want. If you want to develop your game to the fullest join a club with a team in the top league, sure it'll be hard to break into any of the teams there but if you're good enough you'll play, the experience and training you'll get will be worthwhile.

Most of the joyces now play in Merrion although there are a few in NW.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Thanks for all the members for the forum that have joined Sandyford for Nets so far this season. Anyone who is interested in Cricket come up to Wesley College every Thursday at 9pm. More details on www.sandyfordcc.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Lisa Mag

Hi i play for North County Cricket Club Ladies team (obviusly lol)....
    :D

With regard to new players, i think it's always a bit daunting starting something new, i only started playing when i was 22... and as for the cliqueyness and prima donnas... would have to agree but isn't that with most cricket clubs... i know if you don't have a certain surname, you get looks as if to say "what are you doing here" but i pay my €180 fees every year so i deserved to be there as much as the rest!!! ha ha ha :D i couldn't give a **** what people think anyway, life's too short to be worrying!

But i would recommed anyone who is thinking about joining to go ahead and do, i love the sport and it's even better when your out of the field with the rest of the theme than sitting supporting it!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Go St Johnston Go!!

http://www.stjohnstoncc.net/index.htm

Also, my local cricket club in Finland-

http://www.turku-cricket-club.com/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BrianShelley

Yeah well i have played for pembroke for 3 years.

WE all have our difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Would anybody have information on trying out for a cricket club. I am in Dublin, 16 and a complete amatuer. I believe I would be a good bowler. Looking for somewhere around Malahide or so. Thanks for any information.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Dubhelp wrote:
    Chris I cant strongly advise you enough not to join Railway or any large club if you take up cricket. .

Ok, I know this is an old post, and may have been made with tongue in cheek, but I have to reply & point out that I think this is extremely poor advice.

I started playing cricket at 23, with a taverners team. I started to play with North Wicklow after a couple of years, and enjoyed several good seasons with them. Then house-buying took me over the river and I joined Phoenix. This was the best cricketing move I've ever made. I learnt a lot about cricket, received superb coaching from several top-class coaches (it's not their fault I'm still rubbish!). I got to play cricket with excellent players and play in leagues I would not have been able to play in. I got more involved in the cricket community, did a coaching course and am planning on starting umpiring soon.

The fact is, every club has it's good and bad points* - that applies to every sport. People should join somewhere they feel comfortable, and every effort should be made by the club to make every prospective member welcome, regardless of their standard.

Simply to say "big club bad, small club good" is doing an immense disservice to both types of club. Never forget that every club was a small club once, and some current small clubs were big clubs once. There's a lot of historic clubs that were once big ones - anyone remember Carlisle CC?

* There's no need to point out Phoenix's bad points to me, thanks, I'm well aware of them, and could probably give you a few more!
    Dubhelp wrote:
    Sandyford, North Wicklow and Civil Service you will find all the decent people who play cricket and not get involved in snobbery.

This is very true - there is an immense number of decent people in the clubs you mention. But all the decent people who play cricket? Absolute rubbish. There's decent people in every club in Ireland - there's knobs too.

unfortunatly i couldnt join a club this year, i had an operation on a cyst on my right wrist only 4 weeks ago ,it had been giving me bother for years,

i plan on joining one of the teams next season, my wrist is still too soar to play now, it would be next year at the earliest, pity, but what can you do

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

unfortunatly i couldnt join a club this year, i had an operation on a cyst on my right wrist only 4 weeks ago ,it had been giving me bother for years,

i plan on joining one of the teams next season, my wrist is still too soar to play now, it would be next year at the earliest, pity, but what can you do

That's a shame, but at least all will be well for the 2007 season!

Good luck to you, whichever club you join.

• Advertisement

yeah, the lump was annoying, but even more annoying is the fact that the lump is now back, about twice the size and my movement is even worse yet, :mad:

Advertisement