Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can't find a summer job!!

• 06-06-2006 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭

I've handed out CVs in Waterford and Kilkenny and rang up a couple of places after that had looked promising..but nothing!! Nobody wants me!!! What am I doing wrong? I just can't seem to find a job and I'm going out of my mind with boredom. I'm thinking I should have stayed in Dublin for the summer and got work there but I didn't want to do that and now I'm freaking out that I won't find any work and then what a waste of a summer.

Can anyone help me? Advice, anything?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I've handed out CVs in Waterford and Kilkenny and rang up a couple of places after that had looked promising..but nothing!! Nobody wants me!!! What am I doing wrong? I just can't seem to find a job and I'm going out of my mind with boredom. I'm thinking I should have stayed in Dublin for the summer and got work there but I didn't want to do that and now I'm freaking out that I won't find any work and then what a waste of a summer.

Can anyone help me? Advice, anything?!

This is never easy and I doubt you're alone- don't mean to be racist or anything but a lot of the traditional summer jobs are now filled by foreigner nationals.
    Could you look further afield?Commute perhaps; it would only be for a few months.
    Websites like fas.ie, monster.ie and others list job vacancies, might be worth a look too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Thanks, I've looked at all those websites but mostly all they seem to be looking for are permanent positions or those requiring certain skills/qualifications. All I want is a normal student retail job or call centre or something like it!! All the jobs I have applied for would involve commuting anyway, by bus it's 30 mins to Waterford and 40 to KK... I live in a small town so I thought there'd be more vacancies in the cities...obviously not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Thanks, I've looked at all those websites but mostly all they seem to be looking for are permanent positions or those requiring certain skills/qualifications. All I want is a normal student retail job or call centre or something like it!! All the jobs I have applied for would involve commuting anyway, by bus it's 30 mins to Waterford and 40 to KK... I live in a small town so I thought there'd be more vacancies in the cities...obviously not :(

Did you try companies like VHI, State Street or Banking 365 in Kilkenny- they might have summer jobs covering for holiday leave.You could send in a cv, whats the worst can happen?
    Glanbia in Kilkenny take on students too I think. Good luck with the searching!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

emeraldstar hiya,
    Try out Ladbrokes. They are looking for people at the moment. I think they have a office in Kilkenny town and perhaps even Waterford. You will start off at 8.40. Get double on sundays and treb on bank holidays. If you have experience at any retail (by working in customer services) or you were even sales assistant that Is another advantage. You do not have to know about betting. You gain the knowledge throughout your time with them. Its mainly dealing with money and pc work. :)

Advertisement