Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sasana

Options
  • 15-03-2006 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

what does Sasana mean ? does it mean Saxon or something like that ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

It just means England. Comes from the word Saxon afaik though.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

simu wrote:
    It just means England. Comes from the word Saxon afaik though.

Saxon = Sasanach. English" or "Englishman" in todays lingo.

The different Germanic tribes, The Angles and the Saxons became known as the Anglo-Saxons.

The 'Anglo' part evolved into the word 'English' while the 'Saxon' word evolved into the 'Sasanach' of Irish and Scottish Gaelic.

Or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

Thanks a million for that !!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,708 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

On a point of information, the Saxons weren't Germanic, they were French - Norman to be precise. Hence the Norman feudal system and all of the Norman names that our Trés Riche class have.

The Celts were (are) the only race to refer to the English as Saxons (i.e. Sasanaigh) as opposed to Angles. This is because the Celts (being Gallic), identified with the Normans, who turned into folk heroes to them (e.g. Richard de Claire [Strongbow], Prince Charles Edward Stuart [Bonny Princy Charlie].) All other races referred (refer) to the English as Angles e.g. in English - "Eng" comes from "Angle"; in Spanish "Inglés" comes from "Angle"; in French "Anglais"; in German "Englisch"; in Italian "Inglese" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

On a point of information, the Saxons weren't Germanic, they were French - Norman to be precise. Hence the Norman feudal system and all of the Norman names that our Trés Riche class have.

Hmmmm!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/anglosaxons/invasion/index.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Conquest

Where do you think the placename Saxony in Germany came from?

• Advertisement

The Celts were (are) the only race to refer to the English as Saxons (i.e. Sasanaigh) as opposed to Angles. This is because the Celts (being Gallic), identified with the Normans, who turned into folk heroes to them (e.g. Richard de Claire [Strongbow], Prince Charles Edward Stuart [Bonny Princy Charlie].) All other races referred (refer) to the English as Angles e.g. in English - "Eng" comes from "Angle"; in Spanish "Inglés" comes from "Angle"; in French "Anglais"; in German "Englisch"; in Italian "Inglese" etc.

Hanamandiail, Bí ag caint ar athscríobh na staire - dochreidte!

Where on earth did you unearth all that misinformation.

The Saxons were Germanic. They were part of the English nation conquered by the Normans.

The Celts are not Gallic, although the ancient Gauls were Celtic. The Celts were conquered by the Normans and Anglo-Normans, as the Anglo-Saxons were defeated by the French Normans.

Since when has Strongbow, the leader of the first English invasion of Ireland, become our hero? Okay, I know he was Anglo-Norman and based in Wales, but he acted under the authority of the King of England.

Bonnie Prince Charlie, was born in Rome and spent most of his life on the Continent. He was the grandson of a deposed English, King of England, who aspired to retaking the throne. He became a hero to Irish Catholics in the eighteenth century because they believed that he would alleviate their downtrodden status if he gained the English throne. I doubt if many knew or cared if he was descended from Pictish, Gaelic, Anglo-Saxon or Norman blood.

'Tis all just history now and we're all one happy family nowadays (for the most part).

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,708 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I don't know, I just made it up - I talk an awful lot of shite. Pretty good though, wasn't it? It was an amalgamation of my sketchy legal anthropological knowledge and my even sketchier knowledge (or lack thereof) of Irish history. I jumped to conclusions without looking it up.

The bit about the Celts calling the English Saxons rather than Angles is right though. I find this sort of thing very interesting.

I don't know, I just made it up - I talk an awful lot of shite. .

Well, I have a confession to make - I speak, and write, an awful lot of ****e as well ;) The only problem is you have to be able to read Irish to get it.

http://chetwyndedowns.blogspot.com/

Advertisement