Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How Irish women dress

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Holy ****, I've only been in college 2 hours and already I've seen 2 girls with short denim skirts and those Ugg boots....

What's that about?? It's the middle of winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Lady_Macbeth

How could jeans not be the best possible invention for clothing?! they're fantastic, you can dress them up or down depending on what you wear on top and what shoes you wear.

I have to say the only thing that rules my choice of clothing is comfort and i don't give a damn what anyone else thinks of my choices. Runners/snow boots (worn inside, not with anything tucked in!), jeans/o'neills, hoodies/jerseys/zipped-tops......that's my regular attire and i ain't changing it for nobody! if i could get away with it i'd probably wear that sort of stuff going out too but i think that would be just a bit too lazy. But honestly, going out I still wear (nice) jeans and maybe wedged boots or some sort of heeled shoe, with a nice classy top. FFS, its fricking freezing outside, I ain't wearing no bloody skirt up around me arse for anybody's eyes. Still though, if I knew I was going to be doing a lot of pub-crawling I'd make sure my shoes would see me through the night...I'm going out to enjoy myself, I don't want my shoes nagging me to come home.

Comfort all the way :D

- Lady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

Reyman wrote:
    Le Rack is right - Irish women just don't seem to have any class, when it comes to looking good. They stand out as being kind of frumpy whenever you see them abroad or even at home

If you look at East European babes around town you can see the difference immediately. They have style and always look good even with no money to buy expensive label clothes. They seem to instinctively know how to look their best.

Anyone understand why this is?
    because they usually also have great figures and nice skin,etc! anything looks good on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I suggest a poll to select the three worst clothing items ever invented - encouraging laziness and eliminating style from society.

Anyone know how to set this up on this boards thing?

My three would be:

1. Jeans
    2. Runners
    3. T-Shirts.

Curious the way they all came from the USA - land of culture afficionadoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Reyman wrote:
    I suggest a poll to select the three worst clothing items ever invented - encouraging laziness and eliminating style from society.

My three would be:

1. Jeans
    2. Runners
    3. T-Shirts.

What DO you wear???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Reyman wrote:

My three would be:

1. Jeans
    2. Runners
    3. T-Shirts.

yeah, like Sillysausage said, what do you wear? a suit and tie everywhere?

Un tres peau preferablement!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Reyman wrote:
    Un tres peau preferablement!

I don't speak French so checked it out on Babelfish and it told me that you said :
    Very a skin preferably!

So I'm guessing something about nudity?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

LadyLotts wrote:
    I don't speak French so checked it out on Babelfish and it told me that you said :
    Very a skin preferably!

So I'm guessing something about nudity?
    I think they meant to say "peu", which is "little" ?
    So something like "something a little more preferable"...

I could be horribly wrong, however. plus it's been like 5 years since Idid french

• Registered Users Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think it means "A tiny bit better".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Well, there's nothing wrong with clothes that are quick to put on in the morning imo. Jeans, t-shirt and runners can look very nice if they're cut to suit the person's build and so on whereas an ill-fitting suit could make a person look a mess.

I jest a little (un peu), but my point remains the same.

Jeans, T-shirts and runners are a major part of the problem of dressing well. They're comfortable but 'globalised' clothes. LCD (Lowest comm. dem.) selections

If you want to be 'comfortable ' you should stay in bed in the morning or just watch TV in the evening when you get home. Don't do anything requiring a challenge.

Go to many countries and it's the same jeans and T-shirt surprise formula. You could be anywhere. It's such a drag, but it's all around us.

If you' like anyone to look at you and have a little class, you have to make an effort to get out of the 'USA uniform' and do it a little different.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

Anyone who wears Ugg boots is a stupid bitch..
    Yeah, you heard me stupid bitches.

Jeans are great, long live jeans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Lady_Macbeth

Reyman wrote:
    If you want to be 'comfortable ' you should stay in bed in the morning or just watch TV in the evening when you get home. Don't do anything requiring a challenge.
    darling, while this might be preferable, it is certainly not always an option
    Reyman wrote:
    If you' like anyone to look at you and have a little class, you have to make an effort to get out of the 'USA uniform' and do it a little different.

precisely, if and when i want to be looked at, I'll dress nicely.

Most of the time, i.e. when I'm in college, etc., I don't give a damn who's looking at me or not, therefore I choose to dress 'comfortably' in my 'USA uniform.'

It doesn't mean I'm less classy; just that I'm less dependent on others' opinions to be content about my appearance that affects me throughout the day.

- Lady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I don't really like jeans either... I have about two pairs, two pairs cords/slacks, a pair of 3/4 length jeans, one pair O'Neils and about 16 skirts all different lengths and I live in em.

One bad look at the mo has to be those pyjamapants tracksuit things, tucked into uggs with a little furry thing to go on top!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Reyman wrote:
    Go to many countries and it's the same jeans and T-shirt surprise formula.
    to quote and slightly alter one of Stalin's quotes:

one person in the 'USA uniform' is a tragedy, 1,000,000 people in the 'USA uniform' is a statistic.

if it ain't broke don't fix it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Victorious

Hmm this is all really interesting
    I didnt see a reply to the "what DO you wear" question - was there one?
    I am unfortunately another candidate for the USA uniform... and I would wear other things if I had (1) money for quality tailored lovely other clothing and (2) wasn't FREEZING. (I'm from the other side of the world where its at least 10deg warmer at any time of the year than here...)
    I have thought of this a lot - what will I wear??? etc - I dont like the Ugg Boots with jeans tucked into them (I just wear black boots under them or runners, BORING I know) and I dont like tracky pants (makes me feel like I'm going to exercise or go to bed...) - I literally cant do what some people I have seen do and wear hardly anything to look nice - I just get too cold. I find in winter I just try to keep warm. But it loses out fashionwise.
    I honestly would love some advice on how to look a little more classy/nicer, without having to be cold... I also agree with whoever said about the nice coat instead of the jackets with hoods etc... it makes a difference to a look.
    Anyway, I dont think I'm a total slob, but I find my clothes boring :-) so any help other than jeans/black pants uniform would be appreciated :-)
    Vic

Most of the time, i.e. when I'm in college, etc., I don't give a damn who's looking at me or not, therefore I choose to dress 'comfortably' in my 'USA uniform.'

It doesn't mean I'm less classy; just that I'm less dependent on others' opinions to be content about my appearance that affects me throughout the day.

- Lady

Sweets, i know you're a doll. But you're not playing in the 'big game'. Get back to the TV and order in a Burger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 shifty sparrow

I'm an Irish lady and i know how to dress. If you compare how "Irish women" dress in comparison to other nationalities living here there really is no point. I've noticed that alot of Spanish women dress in a similar way to other Spanish women. I could say the same about other groups too.

I've noticed that non Irish women living in Dublin don't dress for occasions. there is no differenciation between dressing up or down. its all the same. Irish women might look a bit scruffy if they're nipping round the corner for a pint of milk but she makes an effort for a Friday/Saturday night. Give us that at least even if you don't like what we wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭yak_kadafi

I'm an Irish lady and i know how to dress. If you compare how "Irish women" dress in comparison to other nationalities living here there really is no point. I've noticed that alot of Spanish women dress in a similar way to other Spanish women. I could say the same about other groups too.

I've noticed that non Irish women living in Dublin don't dress for occasions. there is no differenciation between dressing up or down. its all the same. Irish women might look a bit scruffy if they're nipping round the corner for a pint of milk but she makes an effort for a Friday/Saturday night. Give us that at least even if you don't like what we wear.

emmmmmm:rolleyes: .....no!!!!

• Advertisement

. Irish women might look a bit scruffy if they're nipping round the corner for a pint of milk but she makes an effort for a Friday/Saturday night.

Really ladies, Irish women just aren't up to much when it comes to looking good, and it's not just when they're buying milk.

I think from the posts here that that this is mostly accepted.

So why do these other women Eastern Europe do it better?

Perhaps - No jeans, no T-shirts, no runners and further down the list no track suits, no nylon jackets, and no fleeces
    They have a head start straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭hollyhamill

sorry but i cannot understand this!

guys tend to have 2 pairs of jeans-one pair for going out and one for every other day, a couple of t shirts with slogans like - 'jesus is coming! look busy' which just r not as funny the 50th time, whateva there football jersey of choice is and a hoody and coat! a dirty pair of trainers& all of these things permanatley have a boyish scent- or their mother still dresses them! . . . o ye and they sleep in their boxers, if a girl carries on like that wed b called a tramp/hippy/dyke/dirty whore!

in my opinion you guys dont no wat ye want!
    nd b4 i ever wore ugg buts i thought they were naff looking but they really r soo comfy, its not just a fashion thing!

so blah !
    holly x)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

PS. Just a note on my post of what I wear, I'm not Irish I'm Finnish. It depends on each individual, not their nationality.
    I've gone into comfort dressing now as well. Not having a uniform can be kind of annoying when you just can't be bothered getting all dressed up. Since starting college I've just become more of a slob. I have a wardrobe full of those really soft tracksuit bottoms and I adore my Uggs. Basically I feel like I'm in pjs and slippers when I wear them so I stick to those. I dress up if I'm going out or whatever but my day to day wardrobe is very much comfort orientated. I'm not really bothered tbh. I don't feel there's a point to dressing like you're in a fashion show every day.

BTW I tuck my trousers into my boots because I paid £150 for them so I don't want them being ruined by mud etc. from my trousers. The estate I live in atm is still being built so there is mud everywhere. Also when it snows the Uggs keep my feet all nice and toasty. ( I live in England so snow isn't quite as rare as it is in Ireland.)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Victorious wrote:
    so any help other than jeans/black pants uniform would be appreciated :-)
    Vic

Add accessories and jewellery. That makes such a difference. I could go from day to night wearing the same clothes (and often have) by adding or changing my accessories and jewellery.

I just don't get why girls are so high maintenance during college?!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

This is a zombie thread, please don't resurrect threads this old! Closing.

MOD

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement