Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How Irish women dress

• 16-01-2006 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

Le Rack is right - Irish women just don't seem to have any class, when it comes to looking good. They stand out as being kind of frumpy whenever you see them abroad or even at home

If you look at East European babes around town you can see the difference immediately. They have style and always look good even with no money to buy expensive label clothes. They seem to instinctively know how to look their best.

Anyone understand why this is?
    Post edited by Ciarrai76 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Reyman wrote:
    Le Rack is right - Irish women just don't seem to have any class, when it comes to looking good. They stand out as being kind of frumpy whenever you see them abroad or even at home

If you look at East European babes around town you can see the difference immediately. They have style and always look good even with no money to buy expensive label clothes. They seem to instinctively know how to look their best.

Probably because we are sooo obsessed with looking like celebrities that we think all we have to do is buy their clothes and the transformation from pale, freckled Irish girl to Jessica Simpson will be complete.
    A lot of Irish girls don't seem to realise that its not all about the clothes, its about the peg they are hanging on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

^^ I've moved these posts to a new thread a they're a new topic.

-simu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Reyman wrote:

The majority of people are sheep. They'll follow along with whatever is the latest trend, regardless of how ridiculous it looks (Exhibit A: ugg boots with jeans tucked into them). This isn't restricted to the female side of the population either - as someone who doesn't wear Jack&Jones jeans with some mingin' flannel shirt day after day, it's entertaining for me to see the people in this uniform walking around convinced they're individual.

There also seems to be a popular belief that the more something costs, the better it looks (I saw some fat pile of crap giving yards to some other girl because she didn't have a Prada bag or something the other week). Our Hungarian and Lithuanian visitors thankfully know better.

I'd like to add that it's only the unwashed majority that suffer from this offensive affliction of bad taste. The plebs, you see. There are plenty of individuals free of the herd mentality if you know where to look (hint: not Flannery's or Q-bar).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭yak_kadafi

when irish women DO dress they dunno how to do it properly..................................like someone above said.......they follow each others styles like sheep and think that just cos it looks good on another girl...it will automaticallt look good on them....................
    drill me on this one if you want ladies...but its the truth isnt it?;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

yak_kadafi wrote:
    when irish women DO dress they dunno how to do it properly..................................like someone above said.......they follow each others styles like sheep and think that just cos it looks good on another girl...it will automaticallt look good on them....................
    drill me on this one if you want ladies...but its the truth isnt it?;)
    Not for me, no.
    For those who go around in godawful cowboy boots or yeti boots over jeans, and tiny skirts in the middle of winter with more yeti boots, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

same here-id say i have a pretty classy individual atyle actually- and it doesnt cost gucci prices either ;p
    but as much as i hate to admit it-theres far too many girls walking around with either trashy/frumpy or just euck style. each to their own though i suppose, they prob wouldnt wear it if they didnt like it themselves so leave em to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

I know loads of Irish girls who dress well. Unfortunately I am not one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Reyman wrote:

It could be that you're just noticing the 'babes'. I've been to many countries and each one has it's fair share of 'frumps'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

It has already been said - a lack of class and taste. People just wear high fashion from Topshop or wherever, throw it all together and think they look great without stopping to think if it suits them or not. How many people really suit baggy trousers tucked into Ugg boots, with a roll of fat hanging over? People always tell me I don't dress like an Irish person because I never follow those ridiculous trends, I buy things that will last, are cut well and can be dressed up or down. I wear hippyish clothes a bit but I think they look good and more European. By no means is every woman in Ireland a crap dresser, but there are quite a lot.

I'm studying in Spain now, and it has to be said everyone dresses alike, tight jeans, boots or black shoes, jumper, hippyish scarf and huge earrings, but hardly anyone turns up in something ridiculous. An English girl came to class wearing a velour tracksuit and white trainers the other day and everyone stared.

IzzyWizzy wrote:
    I'm studying in Spain now, and it has to be said everyone dresses alike, tight jeans, boots or black shoes, jumper, hippyish scarf and huge earrings, but hardly anyone turns up in something ridiculous.

That sounds ridiculous to me. but then I've never been a fan of jeans and boots hippy scarfs and giant earrings all together. I think it looks lame on the "regular" Irish person.

But each to their own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

What is lame about it? I don't see how it's trying to be trendy enough to be lame, jeans a jumper, and shoes are more or less essential every day wear and the accessories are to dress it up a bit. What are 'normal' clothes for you? All I can think of is jeans, hoodie and runners which is fine but it looks a bit plain and it's boring to wear that every day.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

It took me a while to learn that I had to buy clothes that suited me rather than what was just in fashion - not that I would have ever gone as far to wear Ugg boots or whatever. I always shied away from skirts because I didn't like my thighs much and everyone always seems to wear such short ones, and then I discovered that longer skirts (knee lengthish) actually suit me really well an so I've been wearing them. I don't care if I'm out and all my friends are dressed differently to me, cos I know what they're wearing won't suit me (though in some cases it doesn't really suit them either - but how do you say that to someone without offending them?)

IzzyWizzy wrote:
    What is lame about it? I don't see how it's trying to be trendy enough to be lame, jeans a jumper, and shoes are more or less essential every day wear and the accessories are to dress it up a bit. What are 'normal' clothes for you? All I can think of is jeans, hoodie and runners which is fine but it looks a bit plain and it's boring to wear that every day.

It's the earrings and the scarfs it's just conjuring up something in my head that probably is not what you were describing at all.

I avoid "tight" jeans most of the time at the moment I wear those "Hobo" pants with the really wide legs. When I got them no one else near me was wearing them but they are becoming a bit common now and I like to be a bit different.

It does get a bit boring everyday, I used to wear nice tight jeans and pants all the time but I think comfort has got the better of me and I am lazy now and for me being in college is the ultimate excuse not to make an effort.

Shameful really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

Guys dress worse - freddy perry and tracksuits.

Ugg boots with jeans looks good imo and also in alot of other's evidently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I'm not saying I don't like Irish girls cause I do.

I lived in Paris for quite a while and the girls there did definitely have a certain 'je ne sais quoi' and style , but they wouldn't have been to strong on personality. And basically were not as good company as Irish girls.

One secret they seemed have was to accessorize very well - i.e. a contrasting scarf or similar to create an impression of someone with a certain aura around them and not just the usual 'jeans and T-shirt Saturday night special' we get in Ireland.

This cleverness they could carry off at quite a low cost and without fancy labels to support them.

They also seemd to own one 'good quality ' winter coat for special occasions and not the kind of 'nylon anoraks' Irish women so love

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I've gone into comfort dressing now as well. Not having a uniform can be kind of annoying when you just can't be bothered getting all dressed up. Since starting college I've just become more of a slob. I have a wardrobe full of those really soft tracksuit bottoms and I adore my Uggs. Basically I feel like I'm in pjs and slippers when I wear them so I stick to those. I dress up if I'm going out or whatever but my day to day wardrobe is very much comfort orientated. I'm not really bothered tbh. I don't feel there's a point to dressing like you're in a fashion show every day.

BTW I tuck my trousers into my boots because I paid £150 for them so I don't want them being ruined by mud etc. from my trousers. The estate I live in atm is still being built so there is mud everywhere. Also when it snows the Uggs keep my feet all nice and toasty. ( I live in England so snow isn't quite as rare as it is in Ireland.)

I think the reason I hate boots is because they remind me of wellies.:o
    Especially when worn with skirts. Some look ok, but I could just never wear them
    :o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Can someone frame this and put in a hall of fame, jsut as proof that someone said I was right! :D

A huge number of people are sheep, I called a group of girls I was friends with that years ago, and am still condemmed for it, but they do all wear the same clothes listen to the same music talk the same, the whole lot and it's ridiculous. I'm not saying everyone should be totally different but at least have their own sense of self and not have to wear something or think something because everyone else is.

I love wearing different clothes simply because I don't like fashion, it doesn't suit me and I can't afford it. When I was younger I wanted a poncho, but you couldn't buy them anywhere, then last year they became as common as muck. and those DAMN Yeti boots! Euch!

That's another reason people in Ireland are all so alike, we're a small nation so the clothing market just can't accomodate everyone, nly in a few places like Dublin Cork and Galway. To the continent I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Well, what I can't understand is how girls get all dolled up to go to college. Yeah, I know it's nice to look nice, but surely to God it can't be comfortable wearing skin tight jeans, stiletto heels, and skin tight tops. I'm not a slob when it comes to my clothes but man, I need to feel comfortable when I go to lectures. Students (usually) have long days, and I just don't get it. I really don't! Last year, I knew a girl who used to get up for college at 6 every morning so that she could straighten her hair properly... and she used to live in college accommodation which was 10mins away. But seeing as curls are coming in, she now gets up at 6 to curl her hair... That's just insane.

On the other hand, I dress up when I'm going out. I'm not the "strappy heels, short skirt" kinda girl, but at least I make an effort... I seem to have my own sense of style with my clothes, sometimes a bit too practical, but I emphasise loads on accessories. I love accessories and jewellery! That's my forte! In the group of girls I hang out with, we're all very individual. Casual, ArtyFarty, Trendy, Classy, and then me, who's more "urban"? :P

Aspiration wrote:
    Well, what I can't understand is how girls get all dolled up to go to college. Yeah, I know it's nice to look nice, but surely to God it can't be comfortable wearing skin tight jeans, stiletto heels, and skin tight tops. I'm not a slob when it comes to my clothes but man, I need to feel comfortable when I go to lectures. Students (usually) have long days, and I just don't get it. I really don't! Last year, I knew a girl who used to get up for college at 6 every morning so that she could straighten her hair properly... and she used to live in college accommodation which was 10mins away. But seeing as curls are coming in, she now gets up at 6 to curl her hair... That's just insane.

On the other hand, I dress up when I'm going out. I'm not the "strappy heels, short skirt" kinda girl, but at least I make an effort... I seem to have my own sense of style with my clothes, sometimes a bit too practical, but I emphasise loads on accessories. I love accessories and jewellery! That's my forte! In the group of girls I hang out with, we're all very individual. Casual, ArtyFarty, Trendy, Classy, and then me, who's more "urban"? :P
    damn lol i like her style;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

1. clothes are f**king expensive in this country & half the time what's in the stores is ****e
    2. we don't dress to impress you, we dress because it's cold outside & we don't want you drooling over exposed flesh
    3. it's a hell of a lot more comfortable to dress comfy

OP: why do the guys here dress so bad?!?!

daiixi wrote:
    2. we don't dress to impress you, we dress because it's cold outside & we don't want you drooling over exposed flesh

jeeze do you go out on the weekends at all?
    Women dont dress to impress?...you can't be serious.On weekends why do we see more flesh than anything on women EVEN when its pissing rain in winter then?
    In that case if women dress "comfotably" maybe I should try going out 3/4 naked sometime too...it could be more "comfortable" than being covered,in -1 degrees weather;)

daiixi wrote:
    why do the guys here dress so bad?!?!

....that too should be a thread..............
    We should have a day every year where guys dont wear tracksuits or blue jeans............................interesting to see what guys would wear then..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

yak_kadafi wrote:
    jeeze do you go out on the weekends at all?
    Women dont dress to impress?...you can't be serious.On weekends why do we see more flesh than anything on women EVEN when its pissing rain in winter then?
    In that case if women dress "comfotably" maybe I should try going out 3/4 naked sometime too...it could be more "comfortable" than being covered,in -1 degrees weather;)

Ya, there is that, but I was commenting on general every day clothing matters.. plus seriously, most of the blokes I know aren't impressed by the tarts out on the weekend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

as a rule, irish people dress badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

yak_kadafi wrote:
    ....that too should be a thread..............
    We should have a day every year where guys dont wear tracksuits or blue jeans............................interesting to see what guys would wear then..........
    I NEVER wear tracksuits! they are ****e! I mean they are comfy enough, but in those cold winter days a nice pair of jeans provide more insulation.

tracksuits are very knackery, and the ultimate stage of knackery is wearing a tracksuit with white runners. a fat gold chain just makes it worse!

on a night out I like to wear a good pair of blue jeans, if not black ones, if both of the above are n/a then I stay at home. and I wear t-shirts all year 'round. come rain, sun, snow, blizzard, frost... I have a t-shirt on. I am one of the lucky ones who doesn't feel the cold as some ppl do, it's great. the final thing I wear is my jacket, the one I have had for 4/5 years at this stage. it's my heavy metal jacket because it used to be navy, but over the years it faded to grey and I put a few patches on the front and back.

I hate, hate, hate ugg boots, they are just wrong. I mean I know it is cold in Ireland, but it is not like the arctic/antarctic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

The guys seem to all be very arrogant in presuming women only dress for their pleasure. Yes some women do go out half naked for nights out but not everyone likes to do that. Some of us like to have a little respect for ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I'd say jeans were the worst clothes invention ever made.

They're a complete cop out worn by people who just can't be bothered getting dressed with something requiring a little imagination (women and men). Total laziness.

Never ever wear them myself !

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

What do you wear instead? I am not being smart, I am a big fan of combats, dress trousers etc, but I would be lost without my jeans

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I noticed the other night at the cinema (twas full of students) that there seems to be some sort of craze (in Cork at least) for short jackets with furry hoods that have a huge elasticated band that goes in at the waist, and jeans. Not the most flattering choice for most, tbh.

Also, it's possible to dress comfortably and nicely without going down the tracksuit-torn-around-the-feet route. /shudders

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement