Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox v1.6 modding

• 14-01-2006 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

How possible is modding a v1.6 xbox (not 1.6b)? Can I softmod, or do I need a chip? If chip is needed, can it be solderless? Which one would you recommend? (Would like to be able to stream music & video either through (password protected) ftp or Windows shares)
    Very finally, where should I buy? Would love if there was a walk-in shop in Dublin, but online is OK too.

Cheers,
    snappieT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I have a 1.6b Xbox and use the Xecuter 3 modchip. A couple of friends have the 1.6 model and also use the Xecuter 3. IMO, this is the best modchip available, and is also the most expensive I think.

The X3 is mostly solderless, you need to solder on the pin header and 3 or 4 wires. A complete tutorial can be found here. I bought my modchip from www.divineo.co.uk, and cost £40STG.

The 1.6 motherboard also needs a bit of extra work in the form of an LPC Rebuild PCB. This needs to be soldered to the underside of the board (under the pin header). This LPC Rebuild PCB should come with the X3 chip. Details of all soldering are in that tutorial. Check it out.

Using Xbox Media Center you can stream video and audio from a Windows share without any problem. I do this over a wireless link and it works perfectly. If you're modding, I'd suggest a hard disk upgrade too. A 120G HD will let you put all your games onboard, plus loads of MP3s too.

With a fine-tip soldering iron and a steady hand, it's easy enough to mod the Xbox. You'll also need a Torx-10 and Torx-20 screwdriver to open it up with.

edit:
    Just read on another site that the 1.6 is not software modable. You'll have to use a mod chip of some sort for this one so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I am up for ZERO soldering, if that's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Either solder or soft-mod. Pogo pins are a cop-out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

jor el wrote:
    edit:
    Just read on another site that the 1.6 is not software modable. You'll have to use a mod chip of some sort for this one so.
    probably old information. All xbox models can be softmodded now.

snappieT, look up the krayzie Ndure gamesave autoinstaller on www.xbox-scene.com forums for details. You'll need an action replay for xbox available in Game and one of three exploitable games: mechassault, jamesbond 007:agent under fire or splinter cell

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mayto

get this xecuter 2.6 solderless combo http://www.mrmodchips.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_23&products_id=166&osCsid=931842a3951f54d6fad188d05c7b935d
    which will work with your 1.6 version.very good company,chip is sent by registered mail after cc clears.installed loads of solderless mods for mates and all are still working fine.you will install the chip in a few minutes no problem if ya follow the guide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

probably old information. All xbox models can be softmodded now.

snappieT, look up the krayzie Ndure gamesave autoinstaller on www.xbox-scene.com forums for details. You'll need an action replay for xbox available in Game and one of three exploitable games: mechassault, jamesbond 007:agent under fire or splinter cell

just buy a cheap usb dongle for the save, ;) v. handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Sorry, I don't see anywhere on that site about the softmod, could someone give me directions or a direct clinky?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

snappieT wrote:
    How possible is modding a v1.6 xbox (not 1.6b)? Can I softmod, or do I need a chip? If chip is needed, can it be solderless? Which one would you recommend? (Would like to be able to stream music & video either through (password protected) ftp or Windows shares)
    Very finally, where should I buy? Would love if there was a walk-in shop in Dublin, but online is OK too.

Cheers,
    snappieT

Hi there snappieT if you still have had no luck sorting out ur Xbox why not try this site http://www.modchipsireland.com/contact.html They provide a great service & all the Apps are installed & ready to use have used them lots of times with great results :D

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

snappie take a look in the xbox-scene.com forums - there are plenty of good softmod tutorials

Advertisement