Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

jobs

Options
  • 02-01-2006 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

I was thinking of doing archaeology in collage and i was wondering if there were many jobs in it and what the pay is like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

There are plenty of jobs in the field but pay is sh1tty at the moment. The problem is that there are not enough diggers willing to join a representitive body, i.e. union. E 400 pw is about the basic pay as a digger. Not much when you consider you went through 3 yrs of college. Of course, you can always do the MA and try for research etc. There is money there.

The course in UCD is great, btw, and you don't have to work as a digger if you don't want to on completion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

There are lots of jobs if you're prepared to travel. And if you eventually get your directors license the money is good. You have to be willing to travel though, and once the current construction boom dies out, work will be a lot harder to come by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

abccormac wrote:
    There are lots of jobs if you're prepared to travel. And if you eventually get your directors license the money is good. You have to be willing to travel though, and once the current construction boom dies out, work will be a lot harder to come by.

This is very true!! My advice is work for a couple of years then go for the lecturing jobs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

My sis did archeology in UCD about 10years ago-she worked on a few digs but found it quite tough with the ol Irish weather etc and the work is quite laborious too. To be honest most of her class went onto other things than archeology but one of her friends,john kavanagh,now runs his own sites in Limerick and dublin. My ex boyfriend also finished with a masters in archeology last year and he ended up just working in a call centre. Both my sis and my ex wanted to work in a museum or something but the reality is its absolutely impossible to get these jobs unless you 'know' people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Vic Mackey

not really, if you travel you can get jobs all over the world. one of my cousins did archeology in college and he has done digs in greece, france, germany and i think hes in japan atm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dgolfqueen

:) Well, As I worked in Archaeology for 3 years I feel I should add my opinion! I Qualified ina heritage degree and went into archaeology. I worked for 3 years in it but I have developed tendon damage and arthritus will was caused by the work and nothing else. It is a very satifying job so long as you are prepared to be employed on 4 week basises but possibility of 3-5 months and then out of that job and looking again! at the moment and when i was in it you got work all the time but I have heard of dry spells! The one thing to remember is that it is not always summer and you work out in the rainunless it is floods! and it is not about skellitons and finding the most unseen before antiquities it is more about big ditches and I have been in ditches that are 4 meters here that you dig out with a shovel and mattock! But brilliant social scene!
    Hope this helped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

feck research

400euro for digging is grand, i want to work outside - hate offices.

Advertisement