Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insane NTL speeds

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Also if i sign up now for the 3mb line and pay €45 untill the new price plan comes in will i be switched to the new price plan seeing as i have already signed a years contract of will i be swichted to the new price plan?

January

Well in the past they have always passed on the price reductions to their existing customers, so I would assume that they will continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

check this out, it looks like in england if you are stuck on 1mb or 2mb you cant upgrade until late 2006 ..ahhh. you only get the upgrade if you are 3mb

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=298201&page=16&pp=25

is it worth switching from 2mb to 3mb now to ensure a seamless upgrade?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

okcomputer wrote:
    check this out, it looks like in england if you are stuck on 1mb or 2mb you cant upgrade until late 2006 ..ahhh. you only get the upgrade if you are 3mb

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=298201&page=16&pp=25

is it worth switching from 2mb to 3mb now to ensure a seamless upgrade?

NTL Ireland is no longer owned by NTL so any parallels with NTL UK are surely irrelevant now and we have to wait and see what products the new owners will offer when they have their act together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

dub45 wrote:
    NTL Ireland is no longer owned by NTL so any parallels with NTL UK are surely irrelevant now and we have to wait and see what products the new owners will offer when they have their act together.

True, however NTL Ireland could have the same upgrades in mind. If you are worried about it, upgrade now. Otherwise wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Just had a call from NTL to schedule an engineer to replace my cable modem in order to accomodate an upgrade in the service.

My old man took the call, so no technical details available. Im mailing them now to see if they can confirm what is happening. Im in D24 area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭HarryHoudini

CiaranC wrote:
    Just had a call from NTL to schedule an engineer to replace my cable modem in order to accomodate an upgrade in the service.

My old man took the call, so no technical details available. Im mailing them now to see if they can confirm what is happening. Im in D24 area.

I had mine replaced a couple of months ago, the engineers told me that they're upgrading to 8 and 10MB packages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

CiaranC wrote:

What modem do you have at the moment? I have the Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Are the NTL modems of good quality?and do they have alot of options?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye they're great. theres no configuration at all tho. they're all totally self contained and configured by NTL on their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

The_B_Man wrote:
    ye they're great. theres no configuration at all tho. they're all totally self contained and configured by NTL on their side.
    Technically they are not modems ! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Drapper wrote:
    Technically they are not modems ! ;-)

they MOdulate & DEModulate analog/digital signals/data

how are they not modems :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

they MOdulate & DEModulate analog/digital signals/data
    Because you don't MODulate or DEModulate digital signals in that way :p

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Because you don't MODulate or DEModulate digital signals in that way :p

I'm not sure what exactly goes on in a modem, but digital signals can be be modulated. Further information can be got here.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

NTL left a phone message to say that they are replacing modem and upgrading speed in Dublin 16 on Jan 7 afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

kevmac wrote:
    NTL left a phone message to say that they are replacing modem and upgrading speed in Dublin 16 on Jan 7 afternoon.
    I feel rejected. PHONE ME NTL!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Are these crazy speeds still going on or was it a blip?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

anyone hear any news about NTL in Clondalkin?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

i have just gotten off the phone with NTL support and they say NTL uk have a 10mb package, but not NTL ireland. there a different company and therefore we are not getting the faster 10mb connection. they also say there are no new modems for people. Hmmmm. maybe i will continue rinning till i get the one person in the company who knows what they are talking about (if there is one...) :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

What modems are getting replaced? Also, what speeds are you on?

I've an NTL:200 modem (thats what it says on the label at the bottom)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

i have the 3mb connection, with the really old Terayon modem. from what i can gather, most of their current modems are DOCSIS 2 modems, and they are being upgraded to DOCSIS 3 (kind of like ADSL -> ADSL2)...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Mines a Motorola Surfboard SB 4100, which I supplied myself. I was part of the original rollout in Tallaght, when NTL had even less of a clue than they do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Im have the Terayon modem myself, got it back when they rolled out 512mbps (don't laugh, it was a big deal back then). Remember you had to actually buy the modem yourself, and then they would install it for you. We actually the 'engineer' spent 8 hours and couldn't get it to work. He actually fecked up my OS before he had called it a day!! offered to bring my PC with him and get it fixed for a small charge!!

The cheek!! Anyway, an hour or so after he left I had the PC working again and the BB up and running also. They really didn't have a clue back then, and are only slightly better these days.

So we might need new modems for the speed upgrade,aren't the Terayon modems just DOCSIS, I'm guessing the first version?

lotas wrote:
    i have the 3mb connection, with the really old Terayon modem. from what i can gather, most of their current modems are DOCSIS 2 modems, and they are being upgraded to DOCSIS 3 (kind of like ADSL -> ADSL2)...

I had a look on the net and DOCSIS (Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification) is only up to a version 2.0 as far as I can see. There are only two other versions 1.0 and 1.1.

So will I have to get myself a new modem if NTL upgrade the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I had a look on the net and DOCSIS (Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification) is only up to a version 2.0 as far as I can see. There are only two other versions 1.0 and 1.1.

So will I have to get myself a new modem if NTL upgrade the service?

I'm sure NTL will just give you one.

JPA wrote:
    I'm sure NTL will just give you one.

oops, yeah sorry, thats what I meant. Will I have to get a new modem to take advantage of the upgrade, if/when it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

paulm17781 wrote:
    True, however NTL Ireland could have the same upgrades in mind. If you are worried about it, upgrade now. Otherwise wait and see.

will do, rang them and they told me to ring back on tuesday when the sales people are around :rolleyes:

Advertisement