Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Swordsman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Zakerius

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**']Oh god I love that show!!

Im so glad someone knows what im talking about! I love it too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Its getting closer to episode 3 so im stcking with the emperor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Raphael wrote:
    I have to say anakin skywalker purely for that 1 scene in episode II when he grabbed obi-wans lightsaber and started dual wielding them, that was SO F*CKING COOL!!!!!

He dropped the second one 2 seconds after he got it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭ Nataly Faint Suspense

Spock wrote:
    Yoda didnt teach OB-Wan, Qui-gan did, just another mistake by Lucas that sucked you in.

It was no mistake. Yoda taught Obi-Wan at the academy right up until Qui-Gon took him on as a padawan at around 13-14. You'd think you would have realised by now, that Lucas does think these things through properly.

Why have you not included Lord Sidious/Palpatine as an option. He is one vicious butcher with a sabre. He was confident enough to let Mace Windu beat him down a bit till Anakin arrived to watch him die. Palpatine owned Windu- "supposedly" the greatest Jedi fighter in the Star Wars universe. If not with just a sabre, then Palpatine surely wins most powerful force-user overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭ Nataly Faint Suspense

Episodes 1-3
    Maul > Qui-Gon
    Kenobi > Maul
    Dooku > Kenobi
    Dooku = Yoda
    Anakin > Dooku
    Palpatine > Windu
    Anakin > Windu

Episodes 4-6
    Anakin > Kenobi
    Luke > Anakin
    Anakin > Paplpatine

Therefore: Luke > Anakin > Palpatine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I would have to say Obi-Wan. I felt he was very strong and fast and talented. TBh Yoda was totally CGI and well, maybe if they show him at his peak. Obi Wan was class, he has defeated numerous great wielders. He did defeat Anakin, who I feel is the second best.

1)Obi Wan for his pure class and defeating some strong foes
    2)Anakin for his big ego ways and his cool and calm use of the sabre
    3)Mace Windu. The only known Jedi in history to disarm and defeat a Sith Emperor. Yes he did beat Darth Sideous only for anakin he would have been killed.

Episodes 4-6
    Anakin > Kenobi
    Luke > Anakin
    Anakin > Paplpatine

No way :p
    Kenobi lets Vader kill him and Ben was kicking his ass with ease until he saw Luke.

Then on top of that Vader only killed Palpatine because Palpatine was busy being angry and killing Luke.

I still stand by my choice of the good aged Obi Wan Kenobi even though the young Kenobi would be killed by Windu.
    I would have to say Obi-Wan. I felt he was very strong and fast and talented. TBh Yoda was totally CGI and well, maybe if they show him at his peak. Obi Wan was class, he has defeated numerous great wielders. He did defeat Anakin, who I feel is the second best.

3)Mace Windu. The only known Jedi in history to disarm and defeat a Sith Emperor. Yes he did beat Darth Sideous only for anakin he would have been killed.

I agree whole heartedly but I would have Anakin and Windu tied second in my mind. :D

Too add on more of my opinionated rubbish I don't think most of the people chosing are chosing on the grounds of a fair fight more on what fights have been seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I notice alot of people don't think too clearly.

Maul WAS a better swordsman then Qui Gon and Obi-Wan, its just that his arrogance lead to his death.

He had Obi-Wan defeated but holding back to bask in his victory caused his death.

As with Anakin. It was arrogance that got him defeated by Obi-Wan, not lack of skill. Until the end, they were evenly match, and I even suspect Anakin was far stronger and I think ultimately much more powerful.

It was his arrogance that got his legs sliced off.

Anyway, I think on this basis, Anakin is the best Light saber fighter, but overall, Palpatine is much more powerful....

I notice alot of people don't think too clearly.

Maul WAS a better swordsman then Qui Gon and Obi-Wan, its just that his arrogance lead to his death.

He had Obi-Wan defeated but holding back to bask in his victory caused his death.

As with Anakin. It was arrogance that got him defeated by Obi-Wan, not lack of skill. Until the end, they were evenly match, and I even suspect Anakin was far stronger and I think ultimately much more powerful.

It was his arrogance that got his legs sliced off.

Anyway, I think on this basis, Anakin is the best Light saber fighter, but overall, Palpatine is much more powerful....

Maul was a kick boxer not a sword fighter though. Anakin is too angry and passionate I think he would get himself killed too easy, although he is still very skilled. Palpatine is easily the most powerful with the force by the looks of things but he isn't a good sword fighter, not while people like Windu and Obi Wan are around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Obzer wrote:
    Lighsaber colours from kotor
    Blue:jedi guardian fights up close with saber
    Green:jedi consular uses force powers only uses light saber defensivly
    Yellow:jedi sentinal Mix of the 2 above
    Red: Dark Jedi
    Purple:a jedi who is boarderline light/dark eg.Windu's use of agression in his lightsaber technique :)

I wouldn't use that as a reference for Mace Windu. From what I read, when they were watching the test screenings, Sammy decided he'd like a purple lightsaber and asked George, who obliged. Pure aesthetics, if that is the case.

• Advertisement

Zakerius wrote:
    Maul was a kick boxer not a sword fighter though. Anakin is too angry and passionate I think he would get himself killed to easy. Palpatine is easily the most powerful with the force by the looks of things but he isn't a good sword fighter, not while people like Windu and Obi Wan are around.

Palpatine is in fact a very good sword figher, as seen by the fact that he fought Yoda, one of the greatest Jedi ever, on equal grounds and forced him to concede defeat.

Anakin I agree is much too hot headed, so although his skill is great, it is not matched by his state of mind.

So I suppose overall, Obi-Wan presents a great combination of ability, ideals and general thinking!

Palpatine is in fact a very good sword figher, as seen by the fact that he fought Yoda, one of the greatest Jedi ever, on equal grounds and forced him to concede defeat.

Anakin I agree is much too hot headed, so although his skill is great, it is not matched by his state of mind.

So I suppose overall, Obi-Wan presents a great combination of ability, ideals and general thinking!

That would be my mind frame. I have this bias against Yoda since I saw Episode One I can't look at him like a Jedi as much as a blur of green that bounces around like he is on speed. I just don't like how his skill was portraied. And Palpatine is good, but not Good ;) As I say though, it is just my opinion and I am in no way in the know..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just on the colour light sabres. In Samuel L Jacksons contract he wanted a colour sabre no one else had, there is no one else in the star wars universe wih purple.

Blue : This is a very offensive Jedi.
    Green: Uses his force powers and his Sabre in defense
    Red:Sith
    Orange : Used only by that race that looks like Predator
    Yellow : Used by females

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jordower

Windu was his most dangerous when in the depths of the Vaapad e.g. the battle of genosis when he chopped off Fett's head w/out really realizing it

if windu was not employing vaapad he would be beaten easily by either yoda or sidious, possibly even Obi-Wan

and all those charts with the lightsaber colour meanings are bunk
    like anakin solo had yellow sabre (though it would explain why he and tahiri never had moments)
    and Obi-Wan's sabre after PM was actually Qui-Gon's sabre (obi-wan's fell down the shaft thing) so the colour blade really has nothing to do with the fighting style
    but there is an interesting fact that most people dont know about the sith lightsabers and why they are read. the sith, unlike the jedi who mine their focusing gems, forge theirs in a furnace and it is the trace elements from the forging that make the gem and therefore the blade red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Darth Brawl

Do u think Sidious let mace get him to the ground, after readin the passage a few times i belive mace wud have been as helpless as yoda against sidious, sidious planned it to happen that way, he need to seduce anakin, he used his friendship against anakin, he made him choose between his feeling for his freinds over the jedi, Sidious was too powerful mace, despite maces mastery of vappad.

But both Mace and Yoda Created their 2 light saber styles to make up for their other weaknesses, while obi wan was a master of the most defensive lightsaber form, thats another reason why he was picked to get grevious, the book really tells u alot more than the films can, the films just look really good with the duels

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Horatio

Bacchus wrote:
    I thought Windu was the greatest swordsman in the SW universe. Yoda was the wisest and most in tune with the force.
    Well that's going by what's said in the movies.
    Although we still haven't seen much of Windu fighting, I believe he'd wipe the floor with Yoda. Look at the way he took out Fett, no fancy stuff, just chopped his head off, Brilliant stuff.
    The fighter with most flair is between Yoda and Maul.

Have to agree, Mace Windu is the best with a sword, Yoda is the
    best using the force, but when you are talking pure skill you gotta
    go with Mace, he has real talent,both Anakin and Luke are too hot
    headed, Vader and Dooko resort to cheating and bullying, Obi-wan
    is pretty cool in Episode 3 but not as good overall and lets face it
    Darth Maul is just a show off, I mean come on, whats with the twin
    lightsabre ? he just had to go one better than the rest of the JEDI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Darth Brawl

well if ur gonna talk about star wars universe mace might be in top10 but if u mean sw universe during time of the film then thats different

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Horatio

well if ur gonna talk about star wars universe mace might be in top10 but if u mean sw universe during time of the film then thats different

Pray tell how ?

Either he's good or he's not and I thought we were talking
    of the films here since you can't judge how good the guy is
    from a book as that is just one persons opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**']I'm pretty sure he said Yoda :)
    I have it on DVD, I took it out just now to be 100% certain, he says Windu.
    seed wrote:
    The contrast here is really quite funny.

The difference between them or my perception of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

"Maul > Qui-Gon" Agreed

"Kenobi > Maul" Dont agree. Maul defeated obi wan but got cocky, the major flaw with the sith and all TV badies. Maul kicked obi wans but

"Dooku > Kenobi" No doubt

"Dooku = Yoda" Ill agree, though some wouldnt

"Anakin > Dooku" Kinda anikan boardering on Vader but yeah

"Palpatine > Windu" Ill dispute that. I think Palpitine had a number of schemes. Remember he said the only thing a sith fears is lossing power. He couldnt let the Jedi arrest him so he tried to kill all Jedi. When he saw he couldnt he surrendered, knowing he would weasle out of court.

When Anakin arrived he attacked Windoo full force. The effects on his body are not supperficial they remain for the next 3 films. He would have died had Anakin not helped him.

Anyway it wasnt a one on one, Palpitine had to use a lot of energy dispatching the other Jedi.

In all I dont think there is enough evidence to say definitivly who is the better sords man of the two.

"Anakin > Windu" You derived that how? The Two didnt dual!

"Anakin > Kenobi" No, for a start its Vader. Obi Wan did defeat Anakin boarder line Vader and in episode 4 Obi Wan let Vader win.

"Luke > Anakin" Vader repeatedly refused to kill him, and stop calling him Anakin, at this point hes a totally different person

"Anakin > Paplpatine" again they never dualed so what are you basing this on
    You started with flawed assumptions and use Totally flawed logic.

Like I said before. Chelsea beat Man U. Liverpool beat Chelsea, does that mean Liverpool would beat Man U?
    No!
    You dont take into account that what works against one opponent wont neccessarily work against another

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

It would have to be mace windu its because he is Samuel Jackson.

I think Anakin was definately a better swordsman then Obi Wan. Obi Wan defeated Anakin through wisdom and experience, but most of all due to Anakins strong headedness and short sightedness. Anakin was far more powerful.

I think the fight between Obi Wan and Vader doesn't really give a base for comparison as Obi Wan is an aging man, Vader is more machine then man and obviously has lost most of his agility. Obi Wan lets Vader win, but I doubt there can be any decisive argument for who would have won had it been a proper fight.

What is nonsense is people making comparisons between people who never actually conflicted. Stop the spammy madness! It's also a pity so many people are so shallow in their opinions as to use purely the outcome of a fight to decide the better fighter! eg. Saying Palpatine is better then Windu solely because Windu "lost" the fight, totally ignorant to the fact Windu has Palpatine beaten, and if not for Anakin intervening, would have won.

I really think Darth Maul was a very interesting character. The potential there is very interesting, and he was an amazing swordsman. Again, like with the epic duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan, it was arrogance and cockyness that led to his defeat despite his superiority.

As I said before, generally speaking, Obi Wan seems to offer nothing specifically superior, but has a combination of great wisdom, knowledge, experience and skill that is eh....quite an attractive Jedi package :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 General Edius

Yu all seem yo be forgetting that the Emporer forsaw that ANAKIN would become even greater than Yoda.The emporer was right about everything else he foresaw so therefore ANAKIN is the best..................

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danakin

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you specified from the movies,if so, Luke wins by a mile. He has fought all the following in the EU:

Clone of Himself(No winner but he survived)
    Gantoris(won duel but Gan fled)
    20 Jenasarri (weird force warriors)
    Kueller
    Brakiss
    Supreme Overlord Shimrra(ok he wasant a jedi but still powerful)
    Raynar Thul
    Welk
    Lomi Plo

as well as surviving and then defeating Vader in the films.

Phew, just revealed self as fanatic there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tich

hey no offense but star wars is gai

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tich wrote:
    hey no offense but star wars is gai
    Yoda ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

Windu's moves in E.2 were top notch.... he had my vote straight away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Can´t believe that 14 people thus far voted for Darth Maul - he has got to be the worst character in all 6 movies :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 TuneR

This is an old enough thread.....

I thinks its Luke/Yoda.

Reason for Luke: Maul killed Qui Gon->Ben killed Maul->Vader killed Ben-> Luke beat Vader. Also in books he's savage, wielding duel sabers and all.

Reason for Yoda cause he looks good jumping round the place like a looney but i think he's more force oriented rather then a saber wielder. So my votes with Luke.....:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

Ok, this could get long and involved.......

1) Top of the heap has to be Yoda, no question. Speed-wise he's a blur!!! Perhaps loses a little of the advantage this gives him as he has to stay in the air a lot to compensate for his small stature.
    Kicked the crap out of Dooku, and only "lost" to Palpatine coz he slipped!

2) Next I'd say Mace Windu. He easily had the beating of Palpatine. Has no equal whe it comes to pure swordfighting ability.

3) Palpatine comes in at number 3. Skilful, devious, he seems to be able to perfectly match his sword-play to the style of his opponent.

4) Obi-Wan would have to be my number 4. Plenty of experience and a cool head. Although he was well beaten by Dooku, don't forget he has the high-score when it comes to taking out Sith Lords!

5) Anakin. Sorry, but for all of his skill and power he's just too hot headed! Makes silly mistakes, the first mistake against Dooku cost him an arm, the second against Obi-Wan cost him his other arm, both his legs, his good looks and his dignity!

6) Maul. A great swordsman, kickboxer and general violent fu*ker. But letting yourself get cut in two by a Padewan?!! That's just sloppy!

7) Qui-Gon. Imposing, powerful, experienced. But ultimately over the hill.

8) Luke Skywalker. The kid has heart, but lacks any formal training. Check out all those wild swings in his final duel with Vader.

9) Vader. Poor old Darth wheezes his way into last place. He's a shell of his former self, and getting beaten by "Kid" Skywalker was just the final nail in the coffin.

Advertisement