Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insane NTL speeds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Cheers JPA, I'll ring on monday, hopefully have it by the end of the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

May ye all burn in hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

JPA wrote:
    I rang on a monday, got it thursday in waterford. If you already have NTL its piss easy for the "engineers".

Are the inverted commas some kind of cryptic message?:confused:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Aren't NTL meant to be launching a VOIP service? I wonder if the speed increases are related. They did say they would launch VOIP before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

I just rang Ntl and as usual still not available and they said they will have the whole of dublin upgraded by then :mad: but this is what they have been telling me the past 2 ****ing years !! (excuse the language)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

just confirming that my 3mb line seems to have been upgraded to 10mb. My max download speed has gone up from 360kb/sec to over 1mb/sec... I could get used to this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Freddie59 wrote:
    Are the inverted commas some kind of cryptic message?:confused:;)

Throwing in a few wires and making a phone call hardly constitutes engineers. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If it ends up being 10Mbps for the current price of 3Mbps, it will be awesome. Seems a bit unlikely but one never knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

NTL 2mb package no change is it just the 3mb that has increased

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

1 Meg still 1 Meg in Cabinteely even after power cycle :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Shigsy wrote:
    just confirming that my 3mb line seems to have been upgraded to 10mb. My max download speed has gone up from 360kb/sec to over 1mb/sec... I could get used to this :D

where abouts are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 tigerbalm

My 3mb line appears to be upgraded as well -- just got it installed last week. However, there dosen't seem to be a "real" increase in speed for me. I'm getting about the following from irishispspeedtest:

Download: 425 kbps
    Upload: 26.7 Mbps (!!)

These figures appear fairly consistent for me.

BTW: Location is Blanchardstown D15.

Im in Walkinstown (D12). Just did a few more tests. Downloading tonnes of crap and im getting a fairly constant 1mb/sec download rate so looks like 10mb :cool:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

After power cycle, I've gone from 3m/300k to 4.4m/500k in D19 area.

Hope I get the other 3m for 8m soon :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Same with me. 3M gone to 4M-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

and while NTL is gone mad fast, Metro for me has gone to sh1t.

I got my parents to power cycle their modem (what fun my mother had with all these terms) their config page showed the increase. Irish ISP test gave 5.54 meg down. It looks like Magnet sparked a reaction (like I suspected it would).

Use this and post your results. Make sure u pick the largest file (1.5mb).

http://home.eircom.net/speedtest/default.asp?id=1

Heres mine - Result: 1060.45 KBps

Just like smart sparked the last round of speed upgrades this time last year. Fair play to the new operators on the scene improving things for everyone with a bit of competition.
    Also OT: Is there any contract term with NTL ? Can I get the MAX package free for 3 months then decide I only want the middle package ? Can I get the whole thing cut in about 8 months? I read high and low on their site and theres no mention of minimum contract.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just like smart sparked the last round of speed upgrades this time last year. Fair play to the new operators on the scene improving things for everyone with a bit of competition.
    Also OT: Is there any contract term with NTL ? Can I get the MAX package free for 3 months then decide I only want the middle package ? Can I get the whole thing cut in about 8 months? I read high and low on their site and theres no mention of minimum contract.

There is a 12 month minimum contract. However yes, you can downgrade to the lower packages, or upgrade at any time. Te norm is to give you max free for 3 mnoths and then change to whatever you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

sexy ntl...

modem states dload stream of 10240000 bps

but dload tests only went to mostly 550-650kpbs...

half the capacity...

but still... sexy....

yeah that eircom site shows 2kbps for 4mb metro, im paying bloody 110e a month for dialup, great, i hope digiweb atleast update their speed in relation to NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Great news, I wish I could get NTL...ye lucky baastards!!

Oh well...slight increase in January....yey! :-/

Eircom site said

Result: 683.99 KBps

That's not 10. :(:)

EDIT: I got 726 from the HEANET link below.

Is anyone trying any files from heanet.ie though ? It's still without a doubt the fastest place to download anything from. If that doesn't max out your line then nothing will. Try the link somebody posted back on first page :
    http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/4.10/4.10-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

See what speed that download settles down to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 tigerbalm

Is anyone trying any files from heanet.ie though ? It's still without a doubt the fastest place to download anything from. If that doesn't max out your line then nothing will. Try the link somebody posted back on first page :
    http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/4.10/4.10-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

See what speed that download settles down to.

I've left it for ten minutes and it's settled down to 260 kbps :mad:

My modem shows it has taken the upgrade but I can see no sign of it.

However, my uploads on the otherhand are showing a constant 490 kbps :eek:

Any body got any idea what might be wrong? I've just had NTL for over a week and so haven't had much experience with it yet. I'm located in a new apartment block which appears to have a fairly good NTL infrastructure (at least within the block).

Is there any point calling NTL about this tomorrow?

tigerbalm wrote:

No, with the upgrades going on, things are probably going to act weird for a few days, if you are still having problems in a few days then call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

tigerbalm wrote:
    I've left it for ten minutes and it's settled down to 260 kbps :mad:

My modem shows it has taken the upgrade but I can see no sign of it.

However, my uploads on the otherhand are showing a constant 490 kbps :eek:

Any body got any idea what might be wrong? I've just had NTL for over a week and so haven't had much experience with it yet. I'm located in a new apartment block which appears to have a fairly good NTL infrastructure (at least within the block).

mines dropped like a stone to 1 mb now !! STRANGE !! modem shows upgrade too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Drapper wrote:
    mines dropped like a stone to 1 mb now !! STRANGE !! modem shows upgrade too

I think they were yanking yer chain! :p

Now the rest of us poor non NTL souls can sleep fitfully tonight. :)

• Advertisement

I think they were yanking yer chain! :p

Now the rest of us poor non NTL souls can sleep fitfully tonight. :)

not me, ive still a crap metro connection :D

Advertisement