Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

eircom FWA locations

• 28-11-2005 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

I was doing a little search around the ComReg site this morning looking at the perennial under construction notice on the eircom FWA location page.

I decided to view the source to see where there any clues and low and behold I see this map commented out:

NarrowbandEircom.jpg

Now the map is fairly crap, but can anyone figure out these locations?

Damien.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Yes. These correspond to large type Red and White eircom towers and to a c.7 km zone around them gives the kind of omni antennae Eircom use with their Airspan 3.5Ghz gear.

If you have LOS to one of those towers you should be able to get the Eircom Wireless BB 512/64 package .

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

In Mayo: Ballina (big Vodafone tower behind the railway station), Castlebar (big red/white tower in town), Westport (Farnaght), Swinford (red/white tower out towards Barnacogue (I think)), Belmullet (no clue) and Achill (probably Minaun).

By and large, a heavy correlation with DSL-enabled towns. I suspect 7km is optimistic.

Then, of course, there is the price...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

barnesmore gap which doesn't seem to be on the map is one of them (i know a couple of people running it) but you can get nwe wireless from there which is faster and cheaper. the fwa installations i've seen are dreadful little faster then isdn but at least its flat rate.

I'm open to correction, but I've heard that having an eircom phone line is a precondition for getting this installed - either hardwired or FWA. 64k upload is a bit snug for decent VoIP.

oscarBravo wrote:
    I suspect 7km is optimistic.

Then, of course, there is the price...

The install price is shocking , well over €700 :(

The monthly price of €54 is digestible if you can get rid of your fixed line to help pay for it :D

Here is an (unlinkable) Product Description .
    eircom fixed wireless access (FWA) packet delivers broadband Internet speeds to people in areas outside DSL coverage and also to people within DSL enabled areas, using FWA packet technology. 33% of the population can avail of this technology.

Unlike DSL, eircom fixed wireless access does not use the copper lines of your telephone to connect you to the Internet. Instead, your modem connects to an external antenna at your premises. This uses a radio channel to link into a base station, and then to the Internet.

By using a wireless connection, you can access a broadband connection up to 15km from the base station. This is a greater distance than DSL broadband can reach. However, there must be an unobstructed line of sight between the antenna at your premises and the base station.

The 33% and 15km figures are a complete cod but Comreg refuse to investigate them Comreg also refuse to investigate cases where persons living 'under' the towers have been told time and time again that there is no capacity on the tower . You can check on this number 1890 457 048 .

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    The 33% and 15km figures are a complete cod...
    That's not maybe. I know of one person with a FWA PSTN connection - at 10km from the tower, it can barely sustain a 12k dialup connection.

Luckily he was able to get wireless broadband from another provider... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

By using a wireless connection, you can access a broadband connection up to 15km from the base station. This is a greater distance than DSL broadband can reach. However, there must be an unobstructed line of sight between the antenna at your premises and the base station.

On some sites they are using omnidirectional antennas, not sectors. Farnaght Near Westport is one such site. The reach of the FWA broadband product from this site is about 5K but they can make it out to about 12K from this site for the FWA phone line replacement.
    Some sites will be sectorised and these will have better reach.

Eircom have had a lot of trouble around here with Airspan kit due to Water ingress issues. I was told that around 900 Airspan CPE units have been replaced so far

.brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

How many FWA customers are there and how many are on "broadband"? I wonder are those ComReg stats any good for figuring it out?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

barnesmore gap which doesn't seem to be on the map is one of them (i know a couple of people running it) but you can get nwe wireless from there which is faster and cheaper. the fwa installations i've seen are dreadful little faster then isdn but at least its flat rate.
    Sorry for going Off topic, but can you give me more info on NWE?

My sister is looking for broadband and has very good LoS with the Gap, and I had emailed Eircom about their FWA from Barnesmore, but got no replies.

So I might get her to try NWE instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

aside from the big places like dublin cork city and limerick city
    i think theres one in mitchellstown lol terrible map

byte

ai ing wrote:
    Thanks for that.

No problem. I was actually looking at them about a year or more ago and they were too expensive for me at the time but your post made me go back and look at them again and the prices seem to have come well down. I am looking at getting the 1mb/128 as it costs only €25 - the same as my current dialup package!!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Eircom do not currently sell FWA at the moment as they cant sustain the speeds , basicially due to poor quality they have pulled it until they can get it sorted , they will only offer it for Narrowband ie FWA for PSTN lines that they cant get copper too

byte

ai ing wrote:
    No problem. I was actually looking at them about a year or more ago and they were too expensive for me at the time but your post made me go back and look at them again and the prices seem to have come well down. I am looking at getting the 1mb/128 as it costs only €25 - the same as my current dialup package!!:confused:
    I emailed them, but sadly I was emailed back with the map from their site, which, if I am supposed to use it as a guide, indicates that Donegal Town is not covered by their service.
    http://www.nwewn.com/coverage.html

My place was also outside the coverage area on that map by about 15km but when I contacted them they asked for my exact location and when I gave them the info I was told that yes it was available to me. (Haveny got it in yet so fingers still crossed)

So rather than ask where its available say you are interested in signing up and is it available at x address.

the Guru wrote:
    Eircom do not currently sell FWA at the moment as they cant sustain the speeds , basicially due to poor quality they have pulled it until they can get it sorted , they will only offer it for Narrowband ie FWA for PSTN lines that they cant get copper too

Strange, they lose their licence if they cannot offer a 384k (sustained) package off all 48 ??? masts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Strange, they lose their licence if they cannot offer a 384k (sustained) package off all 48 ??? masts.

The "losing licence" thing is too big a penalty so rarely applied we need BIG BIG fines for non-compliance, as too often the operator is complacent assuming that it is politically impossible to lose licence (sometimes they are wrong).

Pulling a licence hurts the customers that do have a service and oddly a replacement licence may not include same requirements nor new operator get going for 2 years in some cases.

The map seems to have gone offline. Luckily I saved a copy...

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

damien.m wrote:
    The map seems to have gone offline. Luckily I saved a copy...

LOL priceless!

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Hey eircom, things keep getting better???
    Yeah RIGHT!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

damien,
    can you post that map?
    JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

This is the map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

netwhizkid wrote:
    This is the map.
    Eircom blocked my FOI request to ComReg for a simple dsl map – they will not be too happy with having this map in the open! A state secret laid bare.

How many sites? What area covered? How many broadband subscribers? Would be an interesting statistic to gauge the justification of a nationwide 3,5 gig licence.

P.

Here are all the locations according to eircom themselves:

Athlone
    Ballina
    Ballinrobe
    Ballyguile
    Ballyhoura
    Ballylane
    Ballyspellan
    Barnesmore
    Beenageeha
    Belmullet
    Bralee
    Bweeng
    Campile
    Cape Clear
    Cappagh
    Cappard
    Capparoe
    Cappataggle
    Carrickmacross
    Carrigadoon
    Castlebar
    Castleblaney
    Churchfield
    City West
    Clifden
    Coolmine
    Crohaun
    Cullenagh
    Curraross
    Dame Court
    Drogheda
    Dromgold
    Drumkeeran
    Dundalk
    Dungloe
    Dunmurry Hill
    Edenderry
    Falcarragh
    Farnaght
    Fourknocks
    Gallow's Hill
    Glencoum Wood
    Glengoole
    Glenteige
    Harristown
    Inchee
    Kilbride
    Kildorrery
    Killorglin
    Kilmuckridge
    Knock Airport
    Knockaneagh
    Knockanimpha
    Knockanore
    Knockgour
    Knocknaboul
    Lisnabin
    Mallow
    Mervue
    Minnaun
    Mongorry Hill
    Mount Oriel
    Mulmosog
    Navan
    Nenagh
    Portlaoise
    Roches Street
    Rossmore Bog
    Scartbaun
    Shanettra
    Shelmaliere
    Slieve Glah
    Slieveboy
    Slievemish
    Thurles
    Tuam
    Virginia
    Whitechurch
    Woodtown
    Youghal

4,200 customers using Fixed Wireless for voice
    250 customers using Fixed Wireless for Broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

damien.m wrote:
    Here are all the locations according to eircom themselves:

Inchee

"Sir, I can rest assure you FWA broadband is not available in your area contrary to whatever rumours you may have heard and we have no plans to roll it out either"

Interesting how it is available in Inchee huh? I knew it was there for the last year but couldn't do nothing with them denying it was there. I even have photos of it and all (see attachment).

The thing is would it be worth getting instead of my one-way Satellite Broadband?? Or has anyone here actually got Eircom FWA Broadband. Well at least my area now has broadband except for it being too expensive.

Those photos were taken in June 2006 (sunny one) and December 2005 (dull one)

byte

I've still to find someone who gets eircom FWA from Barnesmore in Donegal also.

I do know of a country hotel that needed to rely on FWA from Barnesmore though not sure if they went for Eircom or NWEWN, who also have FWA setup on Barnesmore.

thats 80 locations , an increase of 15 over over the map .

eircom have a licence target to meet (last June as it happens) and Comreg have a court case about licences going on with Smart so they may be more pointed than usual about compliance .

as their next target is in another 5 years don't be too hopeful :(

• Advertisement

The Oireachtas Committee on broadband got these answers from ComReg.
    Eircom’s National Fixed Wireless Licence
    Q16. Does ComReg validate the use of this licence?
    Yes.

The eircom Fixed Wireless Point to Multi-point Access (FWPMA) licence is an annually renewable licence, which commenced on the 15th June 2000. In order to satisfy renewal conditions, ComReg requires that eircom;
    • is in compliance with their licence conditions;
    • has paid the appropriate fees; and
    • has provided updated information to ComReg in relation to their licence
    schedules.

The annual renewal process for the FWPMA licences is similar to that of other wireless telegraphy network licences, such as GSM and 3G.

Yeah. Sure.
    Q.17 Is ComReg satisfied that this licence is being used effectively and at a reasonable cost to the consumer?

ComReg is satisfied that eircom is in compliance with its FWPMA licence conditions, up to the last renewal date (15th June 2005). In summary, eircom has licence obligations in relation to:
    • The Required Services
    • Service Quality and Performance Standards Obligations
    • Coverage and Roll-Out Targets
    • Tariffs for Required Services; and
    • Performance Guarantees

The details of eircom’s licence conditions are contained in ComReg Document 03/19R
    http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0319R.pdf.
    In relation to the cost of these services, eircom is obliged to provide tariffs for the required services at the same level and terms and conditions as similar services offered by eircom over its wired network.

Advertisement