Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Larch Hill

• 25-11-2005 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Anyone got any stories to share? I loved larch hill, always such a laugh. the playground is the best!

and the discos in the hall...

anyone on melvin there in 2000? (i think it was 2000 anyway...!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

And the obstacle course, I've spent more time there than I should have....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

the farmer in his little farm across the river... he shot at me one more than one occasion!
    most memorable was when he actually chased us back up to the potato field shouting random obscenities. twas hilarious.

oh and the dolmen - love that!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

In all my long, long time in the Guides I only went to Larch Hill for the first time in April of this year. We took the girls up to teach them how to light a fire and then cook over it.

But it seems like a really good place to take them camping some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

In all my long, long time in the Guides I only went to Larch Hill for the first time in April of this year. We took the girls up to teach them how to light a fire and then cook over it.

But it seems like a really good place to take them camping some time.
    the BEST place to go camping. especially if there's other troops there - make friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

rugbug86 wrote:
    the BEST place to go camping. especially if there's other troops there - make friends!

yeah, we used to go there with the guides. we'd unpack our gear at the bottom of a hill and make friends with whatever scouts were around - they'd help us carry our stuff up and we'd hang out with them at the huge campfire. Good days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

rugbug86 wrote:

Yeah I was at that one with the Dalkey scouts. Was great fun. We got disqualified from the camp fire competition because our routine was a little too sexually graphic for some of the more innocent scout leaders :D They let us back in though with a different song and we came third. We also came second in that cart race thing. Other than that we were rubbish. Never take it too seriously.

I was sick of Larch Hill at one stage because went there so often. It is a bit of fun though at times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

i remember going here a long time ago, and as we were all young.. there were vicious rumours of it being haunted. everybody was scared ****less at nighttime!!
    i also vaguely remember finding a swimming pool that was infested with baby frogs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

rugbug86 wrote:
    Anyone got any stories to share? I loved larch hill, always such a laugh. the playground is the best!

and the discos in the hall...

Yep, if I'm correct that was the year of the Glen of Immal!!!!!!!!!!!! Edit, Glen of Imall was 1999.

neilled wrote:
    Yep, if I'm correct that was the year of the Glen of Immal!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now I remember it. We had to bivvy out on the army camp, but us being the lazy folk that we are found a random table lying around and half of us slept under that.
    Hmmm, what else do I remember from that Melvin, ah yes, lot's of singing Red Hot Chili Peppers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

neilled wrote:
    Yep, if I'm correct that was the year of the Glen of Immal!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes I remember that now myself. Lots of spent bullet shells etc around the place. Also if I remember right the campfire competiton, well the first part anyway, was held there as well. Thats where our disqualification and then re-addmitance after much debate between myself and the main guy that was there happened :D In all fairness our routine was deemed fine on the regional shield that we had in Lough Dan I think ( you may remember that Ronny if you were involved then) so I think on that basis they let us back in again provided we did a different song.

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote:
    In all fairness our routine was deemed fine on the regional shield that we had in Lough Dan I think ( you may remember that Ronny if you were involved then) so I think on that basis they let us back in again provided we did a different song.
    Yeah that was a good campfire alright. That clinched yous a good few points, and tbh that's how I think you guys beat us.:D

Yeah that was a good campfire alright. That clinched yous a good few points, and tbh that's how I think you guys beat us.:D

yeah I remember it was very close. TBH I think it was always close between Dalkey and Blackrock. I remember losing on a uniform inspection to you guys before. That hurt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Campfires were always a laugh - we had a few sucess there and appeared in the final about 3 times with Crime Watch, Dance of the Little People and "Hypnotism"

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭GusherING

I always remember Larch Hill for being covered in cow****. Oh and all the good times as well.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Red Fan X5

GusherING wrote:
    I always remember Larch Hill for being covered in cow****. Oh and all the good times as well.;)
    It wasn't cow****, it was sheep****.:) Our troop even had their Annual Camp there back in the 80's and we were from Dublin :eek: . We nearly closed down because alot of the scouts went home due to the bad weather and lack of facillities.:( Still we will return again shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Kadeshh

have to say never really liked larch hill that much....

its nothing compared to lough dan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I remember colaborating with a group of young scouts who wanted to play "Catch and Kill" in the woods to the east to the South East of the place. I also remember hippies out picking mushrooms from the many ditches there were around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭familyguy

Our leader always insists on Kelly's Field (the one furthest from the car park).

Being furthest away means a little more time at night before the wardens come up to [attempt to] enforce lights out, and a little more peace and quiet (very important for some of our ageing leaders :D )
    It's always fun trying to get a trailer full of gear up there, and it's miles to the bogs, but that's what the forest's for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Was that the year the ventures went up to erect the Venture Gate?

A group of ventures from Donnybrook, Lusk and Skerries went up with a view to erect a Pioneering Gate, it was meant to commerate something. Unfortuately we didn't get it built but fun was had by all not to mention a "interesting" lunch. It was the weekend of the Melvin and what the Melvin did for Scouting in the values sense, the Ventures did for scounting in the fun sense.

My own troop never made it to the Melvin, I was amazed at the quality of the sites. When is the next one on? Is it still open to the public at some stage??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 EBrohoon

My guides love larch hill, they want to go at least once a year. Don't ask me why! Last time we were there the lovely staff scared the **** out of all the guides. So the guides decided the best thing to do would go exploring and check if the blue lady story was true oh and there just happened to be a few groups of scouts there that weekend! :D It was great having to go searching for them with the scout leaders but at least they weren't up to anything :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 tumeltyni

Was anyone here at Hill '96? I was a junior leader there that year, great craic. Until I ended up on crutches...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

I have so many great memories of Larch Hill! A great campsite and a great asset to the association!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

I was up there more times than I care to remember with the 111th Springfield troop. We never won anything - but we always had mental fun.

I remember we went up there for about 10 days one summer and one night somehow we managed to get one lad out of his tent into a wheelbarrow, over to the next field and into the tent of another sleeping troop without waking anybody up. I would have loved to see his (and their) faces the next morning - we had him convinced he was sleep walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The mid night hike up to the hell fire club...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

stipey wrote:
    I was up there more times than I care to remember with the 111th Springfield troop. We never won anything - but we always had mental fun.

I remember we went up there for about 10 days one summer and one night somehow we managed to get one lad out of his tent into a wheelbarrow, over to the next field and into the tent of another sleeping troop without waking anybody up. I would have loved to see his (and their) faces the next morning - we had him convinced he was sleep walking.

ha ha! that's brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

stipey wrote:

Respect!!!!
    I used to be in 24th Tallaght, we like yourselves always seemed to lose out to Oldbawn, Walkinstown and someother troop; but from what I remember we had way more fun!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dcfac

Larch Hill holds so many amazing memories!

Coming first in our first Shield... and then coming last in our last Shield- our troop arrived up with a dome tent and a plastic fold out table from Argos!

Instead of actually working at the bases, we just chatted to the leaders... one of the girls in our troop ended up going out with one of them afterwards! At the First Aid base, instead of helping a guy who had been "stabbed", we gave him a funeral and then contemplated stealing his watch. The people running the base tried to be serious, but we even had them laughing by the end!

All the random weekends that we headed up... I remember one weekend daring one of the guys to run around in a tiny pink dress, down by the car park and the office!

All the campfires... hiding with my friends as they smoked their way through packets of cigarettes without being caught by our leader. Those ghost stories that scared the bejaysis out of us as cubs

Hours swinging in the Beaver playground, talking about love, life and basically anything that came into our heads

Discos in the wet weather shelter "ROCK THE BOAT!"

Drinking litres and litres of tea in the HQ kitchen

Trying to convince the "nearby" take away to deliver up after 11pm

Midnight wide games!

Waterfights on those seldom yet glorious hazy summer days

Playing tip rugby/frisbee/football in the Cub field

Watching movies in the hostel with enough junk food to sink the Titanic...

Learning to play poker, and becoming an expert.

All the friends I have made there- and still in contact with so many of them!

That Tuck Shop... with its infamous queues. The sugar I bought there fuelled me for whole weekends at a time.

The classical music that they play in the toilets???

At the last Patrol Training weekend we had, dunking the poor unfortunate scouts' heads into the river as part of the "initiation" process... but really just for our entertainment.

Ah good lordy lord- there are just too many memories!!! And I don't know the next time I'll be heading back up...

I've many, many wonderful memories of Larch Hill from my days as a young Cub in '86 onwards (my first annual Cub camp).

I do remember a National Cub day there in '88. Had a great badge to commemorate it (a giant looking down on two Cubs).

Lots of Scouting ones, my favourite was always going there on patrol camp. (Walking down to "An Shiopa Beag" - don't know if it's even there anymore).

My patrol winning our regional shield in 1995. Being told I was to old to enter the Melvin the same year, so being offered a place on the Melvin staff instead.

Didn't go much in Venturer's - we mostly went hosteling.

A truly wonderful place.

Is the story about the nurse who was murdered (decapitated) by an manic inmate on that standing stone doing the rounds???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

It's no Lough Dan, but I have had some good times there. Best was when the leaders pretended to sever a hand during the axe and saw to show us cubs the dangers of acting the maggot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Alz®

Gillo wrote: »
    Respect!!!!
    I used to be in 24th Tallaght, we like yourselves always seemed to lose out to Oldbawn, Walkinstown and someother troop; but from what I remember we had way more fun!!!!!

Willington most likely, they seem to win all the time same with Knocklyon...

I was in the 168th Tymon North from Beavers thru Cubs and Scouts and now im back as a leader, still go to Larchill, yes it has changed and for the better...

Advertisement