Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Blog and Podcast Awards

Options
  • 10-10-2005 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking that the bloggersphere and podcastsphere in Ireland is now mature enough for us to have our own awards thingy. I've talked about it more on my blog here: http://www.mulley.net/archives/000677.html

The awards would be beneficial for a few reasons:

1)It sets a level of quality that other new bloggers and podcasters can aspire to.
    2)It advertises blogs and podcasts others may have not have been aware of.
    3)It shows you who your peers are.
    4)It can help advertise blogs and podcasts to a larger audience via press coverage.

Suggested Blog Categories:
    (add or amend these as you see fit)

* Best Blogger
    * Best Blog Post
    * Best New Blogger
    * Best Contribution to the Boggersphere (Tech wise)
    * Best Potential Blogger i.e. Someone we'd like to see blogging
    * Best Photo Blog
    * Best Fictional Piece in a Blog
    * Best Art Blog
    * Best Political Blog (Judging for this will be "fun")
    * Best Group Blog
    * Best Comment/Commenter
    * Best Personal Blog

Suggested Podcast Categories:
    (Need help with these so suggest away)

* Podcast of the year
    * Podcaster/Podcasting site of the year
    * Best Music Podcast
    * Best Current Affairs Podcast
    * Best Tech Podcast

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭zepp

ya good idea. Will there be free booze :)

How about Marty whealan to host

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Close, so close. I have someone else in mind. I'm sure Marty is booked out opening up hair salons and so forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

How about that mental lad who does that show with the scratch cards? I'd swear he pops a few E-tabs before going on air. Or that Telly Bingo guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Mmmmhmm. I'll have more information on the event here: http://www.awards.ie/blogawards/ when I get a chance to type it up.

It will not be an online event, it'll be in Dublin, though not sure where and when yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

What would be the requirements for the nominees? Have to be Irish? Living in Ireland? Born in Ireland? Media has to be hosted in Ireland?

Perhaps as loose as the requirements for the Irish Soccer Team. :) Born in Ireland, living/or lived in Ireland. If we had it as open as "considers themselves Irish" we'd have half the population of America putting themselves forward.

Anyone that is on the IrishBlogs.ie or PlanetoftheBlogs.com aggregator would be included.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Best Potential Blogger i.e. Someone we'd like to see blogging

This one's a bit..fuzzy, no? An "award" for someone we'd like to see do something? It's living giving an Oscar to Catherine Zeta Jones because we'd like to see her jump off a cliff.

Actually yeah you have a cliff, I mean a point. Well, we'll remove that as an award and change it to uhm, what could it be called? A suggestion? A wish?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Actually yeah you have a cliff, I mean a point. Well, we'll remove that as an award and change it to uhm, what could it be called? A suggestion? A wish?

The First Annual BuffyBot Award For Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Blogging? ;)

smiaras wrote:

I do. Check your GMail. Emailed you earlier today.

how about best international blog. could be the booker prise of blogs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I can offer the use of the Conference Room in the Northside Civic Centre again as I did for TechCamp.

If it's done in an evening then there shouldn't be any need for extra secuirity costs. Bottles of wine are even permissible if the building is given enough notice.

But I guess it all depends on how fancy an affair you want the whole to thing be... and Coolock is a lot of things... but it certainly isn't fancy.

I've also got a call in with a pub just beside Liberty Hall, can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Please, oh please let it be "The Garden of Eden" which is possibly the most hilariously sleezy looking joint in town. I don't think it is though. Anything is good for me, to be honest. As long as I can get in, I'm not 18 until the end of November.

Well as per your recent blog entry, smiaras some scantly clad women posing with the winners would get you the photo published in the papers.

But I think you might be talking about the old Liffey Inn which has recently become a trendy jazz and regae place called Soul 17 or somesuch.

Oh... and the wireless in the Globe isn't free by the way... but you can just about pick up the eircom wireless from one of thier phone boxes outside which is free.

• Advertisement

Perhaps Clearwire would sponsor a wireless connection for the evening? Wifi isn't essential though. A good quiet room, with room for a projector of some sort and a sound system is more essential.

Any word on the nomination process yet?

Details by the end of the week, I promise!

Rightso. New posts on nomination process and a few more things.

RopeDrink wrote:
    We're hoping to merge the upcoming Blog Awards with the actual Boards Awards, making it into one big event. It'd certainly make it more appealing to attend, and saves everyone the hassle of having to attend two seperate bashes.

First I heard about it. Who's this "we"?

interesting Idea but then are the boards linked to the blogs sphere. if people thought they were would anyone care. but when are these on. anyway.

I'm not too sure about the idea of combining the boards.ie awards and the blog and podcast awards.

I would have thought one of the main aims of the awards would be to raise the profile of Irish Blogging and Podcasting... and the boards.ie awards, while they sound like fun, will be heavily loaded with in-jokes and won't be very relevant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I'm not too sure about the idea of combining the boards.ie awards and the blog and podcast awards.

I would have thought one of the main aims of the awards would be to raise the profile of Irish Blogging and Podcasting... and the boards.ie awards, while they sound like fun, will be heavily loaded with in-jokes and won't be very relevant.

Yeah, I think blogging in Ireland should be treated as a unique entity, so bunching it in with boards.ie would just hinder it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Would be interested in nominating my blog if it is eligible to enter...

Can anyone give me a tip or two on changing the text colours on my blog, as I am a bit rubbish at html?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

jrey1981 wrote:
    Would be interested in nominating my blog if it is eligible to enter...

Can anyone give me a tip or two on changing the text colours on my blog, as I am a bit rubbish at html?

here is a colour code table for colours in HTML
    http://html-color-codes.com/

just replace the three characters after the # where applicable. you are using blogger so where to put the colours should be easy enough as the html labeled pretty well on blogger.

Advertisement