Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unregistered guests

• 19-06-2002 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

In the past 2 weeks we have been innundated by threads created by unregistered people listing all of the usual sexual situations;

1. Am I gay
    2. My friend is gay and I found out
    3. Threesomes
    4. Head with piercings
    5. Doing the dirt

Whats going on. Its either a curious young lad or some geezer taking the p!ss.

Either way the Personel Forum is running out of control.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

yes, it's pissing me off too. If it doesn't stop the unregistered option may have to be disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Nah , some of those posts are an interesting read , if there all the same ip fair enough ban 'em

Whats annoying me is that unregie who swollowed the dictionary
    ie:
    Your girlfriends obsequious and impervious asperity involves your lack of perdurable equanimity, and also the fustian contradistinction of her euphonious friends verisimilitude attitude towards the otiose and auspicious bucolic and inexorable rivulet

ehhhh what ???

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yep tis supposed to be a serious forum and now it might as well be listed under "humour".
    Any way that you lot could put an option in whereby an unreggie has to supply an email address to post as an unregistered guest.
    Obviously it would have to be deleted after they log-out,but it might stop the messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Certainly today and last night there was an influx of muppetry here. I'm not too happy about it as there have been some genuine posts in my opinion. Some posts may have been taking the mick but it turned out that posters replied with helpful advice.

On that note - I am so happy with the Registered users here, everyone genuinely wants to help out and will offer words of advice through PM and email.

As for the unregistered users - a suggestion has been that the board become pre-moderated which means that every post will be screened by moderators before being let out onto the board.

Any suggestions of course are always welcome, but we are also looking into ways of making this place a better one.

[apologies go out to any unhappy users out there]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Gordon
    As for the unregistered users - a suggestion has been that the board become pre-moderated which means that every post will be screened by moderators before being let out onto the board.
    that is the only way that this board will be taken seriously.
    but if this happens then a mod will have to be present nearly 24/7 to filter every post. it will be a very time consuming job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I actauly find this board funny and intresting to read..

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The reason the unregistered option is here is to preserve anonymity, one of the most important things on a board like this. Whether the pre-moderating of posts goes ahead, or not, this board is of the sort that requires constant observation anyway. Pre-moderating posts will increase, not decrease any mod's responsibilities.

If the unregistered option is abandoned, the board will most likely be abandoned. The most important thing here is the option for anonymity.

Perhaps it'd be possible to set up temporary accounts that apply to specific threads; an anonymous user can enter a keyword to identify himself as, say, 'unregistered 1'. Anyone who wants to reply anonymously can set up a temporary account which would identify that person as 'unregistered 2'. I'm sure it's probably impossible to do.

In any case, I really don't think any of this is necessary. As Gordon said, in spite of dumb first posts from unregistereds, people replied with properly sensible advice. Patently, users have more sense than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

PI seems to be soaking up a lot of the angst and trolling of boards.ie in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Isnt it just Merc_Tilt doing all that ****e? Anyway, screening posts first seems to be the best way to deal with any problems. It will mean a short delay in threads getting to the board but it will be worth it in the end imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

It's getting a bit annoying when such a big percentage of the posts are coming from unregistered people and half of them do seem to be taking the piss.
    Pre-screening is a good idea but it will be a bit of a pain for the mods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Well, personally i think if this forum was dead serious it would be pretty boring, muppetry is annoying and deleting stuff does take time.

I'm kind against the pre-modding thing for the reason that it would take the spontaniaty out of the board.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

what pisses me off is the amount of replies that are made by uregies when there is clearly no need for them to be unreg, like the bloke above.

"Incessant bombastic buffoonery."

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Originally posted by Unregistered
    The tremulous arbiter of unregistered authors is a starveling dictum but with quixotic indigence, and a frangible grandiloquent, the amicable privation should redact the matter.

lol to the above, ...I think you just proved someone's point from an earlier post.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Originally posted by Dustaz
    what pisses me off is the amount of replies that are made by uregies when there is clearly no need for them to be unreg, like the bloke above.

Not always Dusty. I've only used the unreg option once, in a reply and it was something I'd normally want to keep to myself. :) *

K

* Stop trying to guess....

I think the Unregistered option is a big advantage. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would never post a personal issue under thier own name.

Some of the threads here have been interesting, and wouldn't of occured without the unregistered option.

It's also an attraction to morons who want to take the p*ss :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If the reason for unregistered as to be anonymous then the solution should be an anonymous account! one where you still have to register and more importantly have to give a real email address and an activation code or link sent there before it can be used. That way to you average member and maybe even mods he/she is anonymous but to Admins... Dev and Cloud etc could find out what they need if muppetry is suspected.

That way they can post what they like but it will be an actual account so can be traced back via email or IP. to make it even more secure you could have it so that you must be a boards registered member before setting it up and supply either your real boards name and/or the same email address used in the boards.ie registration.

Just some possibilities

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Saruman, i think that is the best idea so far.
    if someone wants to post as unregistered then they should give their normal login name. at least then if it is muppetry then it can be traced or the offending muppet can get a warning.

This board depends on the availability of anonymous posters. Maybe a lot of people are perfectly happy to let everyone know they're suffering from genital warts or mental brain-rot but plenty aren't and if this board is to 'work', it's going to have to remain anonymous.

It's completely pointless for any poster, wishing to remain anonymous, to be traceable. Everone understands the difficulties that have arisen as a result of this feature but if anyone's serious about this board (presumably those who wanted it set up in the first place), the anonymous posting is going to have to remain. It's as simple as that. Forcing registration didn't stop Mercury_Tilt from acting the bo||ox. But decent moderating did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

it's hella annoying, it gives them the right to act the muppet because they know they aer anonymous, and that muppet with his ubiquitous speech should be shot and put down for the sake of humanity as a whole :)

• Advertisement

Anonymity in itself is a sybarite and repurian issue. For one to remain garrulous, the matter of aggrandize must arise. The extempore blandishment of unregistered authors is enough to surfeit an aberrant perspicacity, be it invidious or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The Anonymous option does have to be there so people can ask questions without having the piss taken out of them.

And as for the silly stuff some people posts, well I find it very entertaining. (as I pointed out on After Hours recently - albeit shortlived)

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭fi

I have to say i dont agree with the option to sign in as unregestered, i can understand they are looking for anonimity but there are some people abusing this to the irratation of others, myself included.

can they not regester with a nick and they are still annon. its always one who gives the others a bad name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

You're not really supposed to have more than one nick.

And anyway if people start signing up extra nicks in order to remain anonymous it'll clog up the members database even more. Theres no point in someone having to call them self number4532 because half their other choices of nick are taken as once off personal isuues posts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

I agree with Darth Homer about the UnReg who seems to have swallowed the dictionary. Here's another example:
    Anonymity in itself is a sybarite and repurian issue. For one to remain garrulous, the matter of aggrandize must arise. The extempore blandishment of unregistered authors is enough to surfeit an aberrant perspicacity, be it invidious or not.

I'm not too sure what he/she is trying to say because I don't fully understand the words used.
    In another thread somebody was seriously asking for help and this unreg answers with this:
    Well basically the diffident situation is execrable, you must conurbate the voluptuary equipoise with a sporadic attitude. Your mother's cormorant provenance solicitates a timorous riposte. Your father's brackish solecism will eventually cohort a feeling of senescence and an exegesis on your part.

How is that going to help anybody- unless they're a genius or an English professor?? Is this UnReg trying to make fun of us by using language that most people will have trouble understanding? Maybe he's an extra from Dawson's Creek who likes to make fun of people with potentially serious problems??
    Some posters are looking for genuine advice and help when they post a thread on PI and unfortunately not all people can respect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Kalina
    I agree with Darth Homer about the UnReg who seems to have swallowed the dictionary. Here's another example:
    I'm not too sure what he/she is trying to say because I don't fully understand the words used.
    In another thread somebody was seriously asking for help and this unreg answers with this:
    How is that going to help anybody- unless they're a genius or an English professor?? Is this UnReg trying to make fun of us by using language that most people will have trouble understanding?

Most of the words make sense (when translated). Lots of them are used out of context though, which makes me suspect that the person is either using some site that translates simple words into complicated ones (George Orwell is rolling over in his grave: "never use a complicated word where a simple one will do") or is manually doing it with a dictionary. Either way, many of the posts make no sense even when "translated". Like I've said elsewhere, the posts seem to me like something that would happen if you used something like SystranPro to translate into another language and back again.

Plus it's bloody annnoying imho (again partly due to the misuse of the words - or else it's like one poster I know from another board whose posts also make no sense whatever, though at least she uses normal words)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I started off moving Mr. Dictionary.com's posts to the recycle bin as I smelled a rat. I then thought to leave him be as some of his issues have relevance and maybe he is misunderstood. Then I came to the conclusion that people are getting fed up with that rubbish so I am going to delete everything that does not make sense to the average boards user providing it has been put there to cause annoyance or confusion.
    For one to remain garrulous, the matter of aggrandize must arise. The extempore blandishment of unregistered authors is enough to surfeit an aberrant perspicacity, be it invidious or not.
    I don't understand this but somebody helped me out* and translated as...
    Anyone who likes to use big words and write like a ponce is only inflating his own ego. Random trolling by unregistered users is obviously going to produce a board of muppets, offering stupid advice wher they're trolling or not.

Perfect translation in my opinion!

*thanks somebody!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

For the love of baby jesus someone ban this idiosyncratic idium who thinks he's going to confuse us by using words he himself does not even thoroughly understand which plainly shows by the way he posts, hell I bet he can't even make a post with plain english and proper spelling without his international spell checking/thesaurus creating drivel which is quite honestly making me want to punch the screen to get at him for his downright childishness, someone pls stop this moron and ban his ip, if it's a mod then remove him from the list of mods, he is obviously a child with a point to prove and I'm sure he doesn't even know what he's trying to prove yet. Maybe he's trying to show the world he is a super genius unrealised, pity we know your just an absolute waste of space with this kind of crap.

FFS kill these unregi tossers PLEASE! :mad:

If removing the unregi option is the only way to get rid of this moron then please do it, it's more irritating than persistance, this muppet obviously has nothing better to do than sit around idling waiting for a new post to appear so he can get in their and annoy and confuse people with his uncreative pathetic use of the english language, I'd even prefer if some git was responding in l337 sp34k than this crap. STOP IT! :p

Advertisement