Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babies Names

• 29-04-2002 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey, sinead and i need help pickin our first babies name. We cant agree on any name at the mo. Suggestions please and no boring names either!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

wel, i always liked the name rachel or sara/sarah or stephaine and for a boy i like the names stephen/steven or david

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Any context, your names, parents / family names, potential god-parents or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

what ever you do dnt name them after u or the mother.....really confusing! take it from me, im named after my mother and when u get older it becomes really confusing!!! after grandparents cud be a cud idea but one set mite get abit......u no if u dnt name them after them but name them after the other set of grandparents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

If it is a girl call her Shaniatwain, Bouncy, Crackho, Ranker or Assumpta. Avoid the name Fanny if at all possible.

If it is a boy then choose from Stitchface, Dummy, Clarence, Salivate or Block. Do not call your son Willy.

Genital names are wrong for children.

I know a girl called Pocahontas O'Kelly. Yes, it's true. They call her Pokey for short. She lives in the Basin Street Flats and her mother is not much older than her.

The ones I have listed are all quite unusual so not everyone you meet will have them. They're practical and easy to spell. Although each of them may lead to bullying, it couldn't be much worse than the stuff you get for being called Cyril or something that's equally likely to affect your sexual preferences.

Pills pills pills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by neuro-praxis
    If it is a girl call her Shaniatwain, Bouncy, Crackho, Ranker or Assumpta. Avoid the name Fanny if at all possible.
    I once knew of a woman called Frances Power or "Fanny Power" to her friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Rachel I like, boys names, don't know really

Avoid anything that might ever be construed as having something to do with a popstar (I do know a 23yo Kylie, poor girl) - nothing worse than having Britney-whose-sister-is-Holly-whose-sister-is-Christina

Rachel might ba a bit of a problem due to the SClub7 connection now that I come to think about it (nothing wrong with the name - just that 15yo kids may be naming their babies Rachel or Hannah)

I've settled on Moon Unit (as a tribute to Zappa, whose music I can't stand, but he was another person who was odd just bbecause he liked being thought of as odd). Or Dweezle if it's a boy (though current GF won't have "Dweezle" as an option, though I did manage to sell her on "Dwoddle") (not kidding folks, I may not be allowed to put it on the birth cert, but I can cope with that)

So if it's a girl it'll be:

"<normal name picked by me (no family connection)> <some crap family name picked by Anne> <Moon Unit> <surname to be picked>"

(please note that no-one is pregnant and there are no plans)

I'm seriousy trying to being her round to the idea of giving all the children a different surname. Ryan is a bloody boring name (and there are too many of them already). Giving each child their own personal surname might be really interesting in time to come.

(odd mode off)

I'm off now to break out my Johnny Cash CD for a few minutes of "A Boy Named Sue"

Originally posted by sceptre
    Rachel might ba a bit of a problem due to the SClub7 connection now that I come to think about it (nothing wrong with the name - just that 15yo kids may be naming their babies Rachel or Hannah)
    Who?
    I'm seriousy trying to being her round to the idea of giving all the children a different surname. Ryan is a bloody boring name (and there are too many of them already). Giving each child their own personal surname might be really interesting in time to come.
    Surnames are a very old tradition that are there for a reason, so when the kids are grown up they know who they are related to! You are out to give them a complex aren't you? (Am I adopted? Who is Granny Ryan, am I related to her? Am I really related to my "brother"? Am I allowed shag my cute cousins, because they don't have the same surname as me / my parents?).
    I'm off now to break out my Johnny Cash CD for a few minutes of "A Boy Named Sue"
    I think "Sue" gave seom very good advice at the end of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 huzzar

rachel i like! stephen and david i like aswel, how about ryan?? have ye any ideas yet??

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I called my daughter lauren_003.jpg
    Lauren after this babe...
    bacall_bogie_keylargo_withgun.jpg

And we will have to choose again in the Autumn....
    Hmmmm... maybe Humphrey if it's a boy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Missy

hey, i def like Rachel, dunno about stephen, bad experiences their! Davids quiet nice! do let me no what ye do come up with!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Boys names I like:

Liam
    James
    Conor
    Shane

Girls:

Michelle
    Sarah

There are others - but I wouldn't inflict them on a real child :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Originally posted by BuffyBoy

Michelle
    Sarah

Now i wonder whys that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

If it's a boy - Conan the destroyer
    If it's a girl - Shantillia the temptress
    :D

Seriously though, don't go with any crap names like Brad or that sort of surfer\movie star bullshít.... other than that it's all personal preference....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Don't give the poor kid a surname for a first name. Some people can't get over the fact that my first name is Davitt. There was one teacher in school that never once called me Davitt - always Michael (cause Michael Davitt was an ancestor of mine - that's where it came from).

Anyway, I think Deathbringer, Slaughterer of The Unclean Disciples of Plon'qk is a great name - it also works for both sexes...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I've always liked Maximilian. Always think of swear words when you think of names as this is what the child will grow up with really. If my Granny wasn't sharp I would be called Jorn right now and the way it is pronounced it sounds like "Urine" so I would have had a load of funny names at school, thanks again Granny!.

Chloe for a girl, Max for a boy.

Actually it surprises me how so many people are named after prophets like Mohammed, Jesus (in spain) John, James blah blah, whay has no one on the earth been named "God". I change my mine, if I have a boy or girl I will name them "God"
    maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

names : Erin ( one i picked/used )
    Morgan ( good for either )
    Micheal ( who knows a micheal they dont like ??)
    Adrian ( just cus its my name )
    Cassius
    Andrea

If your looking for weird names , start reading the credits to movies and such , most of them actor types have origional and
    weird names ie. " Joseph Stalin ";)
    Dont buy one of them books , there all crap or else id choose
    a name id get years of enjoyment out of ie."Contraceptia"

Good Huntin:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Kharn

Anyway, I think Deathbringer, Slaughterer of The Unclean Disciples of Plon'qk is a great name - it also works for both sexes...

I agree... fantastic name.
    How about for a girl - Shalthazor, Witchqueen of the 7th plain of doom??

For a girl I like Chloe, or Clarie (like Clarry) or for a bloke.... Thor or maybe Zeus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

For a girl try Elhana, Cassidy, Serena etc.. names like that are not common

A Guy. dont know Joshua is good

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Keeks

Now i wonder whys that :D

ROFL I didn't notice that - honestly!!!!!!!!

It was early moring ;)

Still no better names than those possesed by the only woman who could turn me straight :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Originally posted by BuffyBoy

ROFL I didn't notice that - honestly!!!!!!!!

It was early moring ;)

Still no better names than those possesed by the only woman who could turn me straight :D

Thats even worse.....they're must be drilled into your subconcious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

boys names id go for are Logan or Jared, girls probably Sue or something simple

BomB

How about Shakespearean names? Megan and Cordelia and so on? /me runs to find "King Lear".

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Boy - Anakin

Girl - Leia

I'm not kidding!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kitton

i like the name Ealena for a girl,its russian and not very common or anything with a V like Valerie,i like the name Charlie for a boy,its very endearing!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

if its a boy call it Jesus and then have another one and call it Judas and then when they fight it'd be -
    ''Jesus, stop fighting with Judas or I'll crucify you''...

or not...

I should never have kids :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

shouldn't that be the other way around.

So evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Pronunciation in backets

Boys:
    Donncha - (dun-a-cha) My name :P
    Oran - (o-rawn)
    Feardorcha - (Far-dara-ha) meaning in english "the dark one"

Girls:
    Medb - (mayv)
    Cáitlín - (coyt-leen)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

We called my son Daragh. Traditional Irish name.

Advertisement