Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

is there such thing as true love???

• 22-04-2002 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭

my vote is no, not any more!!!

is there such thing as love at first sight??? 26 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I'm not so sure about love at first sight so i voted no for that, but i do people in true love. I reckon you can find someone and really and truly love them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Definitely believe lust at first sight... as in "cor I wouldnt mind a bit of that"...

as for love... dunno... I havent experienced it anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Coyote

your asking two things one in the hedder and then the poll
    is there such thing as true love???
    is there such thing as love at first sight
    there total diff.

love at first sight no true love yea.
    just maby not for everone

Coyote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

/me checks watch..what Ali has not posted yet?
    :)

IRISHwannab24 zigzigahhh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yes. Found it. It's great.

I think it's just meeting someone that's perfectly matched to you. And the right person. Some of them seem matched enough, but end up annoying the crap out of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Good for you Koneko... i voted yes but i think its a rarity these days.. oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Barge pole....not going near.....you get the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Yes there is love at first sight.
    And yes there is true love.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Blah I voted Yes to True Love, not Love at first sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I believe in the whole lot, and sure while I'm at it, fairies and pixies too.

Saying that, right now at this moment in my life if my ideal man came roaring out of the wildnerness declaring his undying love for me I'd poke him with a cattle prod and tell him to go right roaring back there.

Sometimes, you just gotta be on your own. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I voted yep
    You have to beleive , otherwise why bother ?
    I reckon their is a person for everyone but the problem
    is finding that person ( worlds a big place ) .

probably true static.. which is why most people dont find true love and make do with the closest they can get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Why are all the ppl who voted on other threads that God didn't exist, but was just something we make up to feel better about life, voting now that True Love does exist? :p

We need to have some dreams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

It hasn't happened to me, but still can't say that it doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

True love? In my mind unless you're being genuine its not love. Otherwise you get a kind of pseudo love . "I Can't Believe Its Not Love" substitute, or "Luv-Luv", or even Love-Lite?

Think I had too much sun at lunch.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭IRISHLILY24

NO

Ah Lily who knows.. maybe some day you will find it! If it is out there that is... we can all at least hope for that much!

Ya, I just dont know about that...Love at first sight, no lust at first sight, yes...
    I have just been in the real world too long to know that the term true love is a mere fairy tale, an invention of the lonley...something they want to believe is real..like an imaginary friend. Love is something found with someone over time, but love can be found with many people if spent enough time with them, I dont believe there is only one true love out there, because I myself have loved many and will find many more to love....it's our nature. To be tied to one person your whole life, I dunno, sounds a bit silly, like cutting yourself off from the world...almost like a punishment really when you think about it.
    These are ofcourse the ramblings of a broken heart, so dont mind me...I will fall back into my illusions of what we think things should be any day now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by IRISHLILY24
    To be tied to one person your whole life, I dunno, sounds a bit silly, like cutting yourself off from the world...almost like a punishment really when you think about it.

So you think the institution of marriage is "a bit silly" and "like a punishment"?? right!

• Advertisement

Invention of the lonely is BS. If you think being faithful to one person is punishment then that is very very unfortunate (for you), because you have absolutely no idea what you're missing out on.

It's rare, but I believe it does exist. I know I have found it, no matter what you say, and apart from that I can honestly say I only know one other couple that can call what they have true love (anyone else would go "I dunno, don't think it's true love" blah blah blah).

ahh well,
    to each his/her own
    you neednt feel sorry for me, I am perfectly happy, Just got out of a situation last night that became too confusing.

marriage is fine and dandy but now a days, how many marriages last? it's sick...I dont know if I could let myself fall for somebody enough to want to marry them for fear of spending my life with them and one day someone up and saying, well its time to move on...so ok, I spent the best years of my life with you and you want to move on... hence, I missed out on meeting and experiencing what life could be and mean to other people...or put it this way...there are so many people in this world, so many people to learn from and meet, I enjoy meeting many people and listening to them, understanding them, sharing with them and making a diference if only for a short time...when your tied to someone, loyalty makes you think this is bad and it is becasue well, we all know what can happen when you get close to someone...
    I believe being true to the person you are with is the key, however I believe you can be true to many people and love many people...I have too much love for just one, I would drown them
    ;)

Again, these are the mad ramblings of someone who' heart was broken recently...I would argue with myself on this post any other day probably..lol

so have fun with it kiddies;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I don't believe there is such as thing as love, since what love is supposed to be, well what I was lead to believe anyway was that there is just one person out there for you......

Sorry but that sounds like a lot of BS to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

Originally posted by Clain
    Barge pole....not going near.....you get the picture.

:D
    Don't need to go near, does not exist.
    As I said before, it's all to do with psychological attachement and illusions.

People like to have illusions, it make them feel like they exist. It gives them the purpose they cannot find on their own.

I'm not fundamentally against, as long as they are satisfied, it's fine for me, just not for me.

Yeah, it's funny coming from someone who wanted to commit to moving to Ireland, to "live, marry, have kids and die" there.

Yeah Lily i read the other thread and know the situation your talking about.... so i understand your comments at the moment.. what would you have answered a few weeks ago? Same answer or would it have been different?

Anyway i dont think there is only ONE person out there for us.. but a few different people.. Thats why one person who finds true love, looses it through illness or accident etc.. can find another eventually.

I have yet to even come close to love let alone true love.. but i still can hope its out there somewhere for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Saruman
    Anyway i dont think there is only ONE person out there for us.. but a few different people..
    Spoken like a true man ;)

I would like to think that there is true love, or that perhaps I’ve even felt it in the past myself, but that would be an indulgence upon my part.

I’ve had countless infatuations over the years, a few I may have thought were love at the time, but most I knew were simply an appetizer to the chase. I stress that I can only speak for myself and my own experiences, as well as having observed the behaviour and relationships of others, when coming to such conclusions.

First of all, love at first sight is a myth, or more correctly an excuse to jump into bed with someone you don’t know. As such, very few actually believe in it by the time they hit twenty-five. True love is a more complex matter, in that it allows for the two individuals to learn to love each other, and is less easily dismissed as its more adolescent counterpart can be.

What might it be? Perhaps, given time, an emotional and social familiarity - indeed dependency. A close psudo-familial association with the added bonus of being able to swap bodily fluids? In short, a best friend one can fsck?

This is undoubtedly a highly attractive proposition to anyone and a practical enough perspective for the more cynical of us. However, best friends fall out and so the almost sublime perfection of what we are expected to believe to be true love, is no more true or perfect than we are ourselves. We may argue with our true love, grow bored or get caught with a blond called Olga, and before we know it, it’s over.

That definition of true love as a perfect union between two souls is best left to poets - who are a bunch of lying freeloaders anyway.

So, I prefer to see true love as an unattainable ideal. Should we ever get even a tenth of the way there, we’ll die as happy men and women. And if I’m wrong and true love does exist, I’ll not suffer in my ignorance and may even be presently surprised should I find it. And pigs may fly...

Exactly Corinthian...you always have the perfect explanations ;)
    I am feeling much better about life and will say that while I agree with the corinthian that I do believe it is possible to love and spend your life with one person and for that love to be a true love...but I still hold that this love can be found with more than one person, there are so many of us out there...how could it not.
    lalala happy days are here again lalala:p

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I do believe in true love but I am not so sure on whether to believe in love at first sight, as I have never experienced it at first hand myself. However I have met people, including my folks who have fallen in love at first site.

I do however have a theory on love and it goes in three stages:-

1) Couple meet or see each other, experience a heady rush feeling (love or lust depending on the veiwpoint - I feel its lust). Couple are in the romantic stage.

2) Once the romance wears off (ranging from a week, six months, two years even up to five years) they start to see each others faults and nit pick, this nit picking stage is either make or break time and can last for weeks, months or years.

3) The last stage (if the couple get to this stage) is the acceptance and in my opinion true love stage, they take each other for who they really are and are comfortable with each other. I feel that each stage can take any length of time from weeks to months, it is all relative to the individuals.

Well there's my two pence (or cent) worth in on the mysteries of love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I like to think there is such a thing as true love. Although a few months ago I thought I could never believe in such a notion again. But i've come around and I think that there is such a thing and hope to relive the experience with that person again however far away it might be

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement