Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Welcome to Personal Issues.

• 09-04-2002 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭

Hello firstly let me extend a warm welcome to the Personal Issues forum. The post below will outline some basic guidelines on how to use the board.

Any suggestions(sensible) are welcome.

So here are a few guidelines.

Reply to threads in a civil and well phrased manner, remember being a Personal Issues board the contents of some threads may be very close to people's hearts.

Think carefully about what you're posting, remember it is the interweb after all and you may not be as anonymous as you think.

Trolling will not be tolerated.

Petty differences with other boards members will not be tolerated.

- SheroN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Yes i agree with SheroN, the issues discussed here are of a personal nature and as such this forum will operate under a strict zero tolerance for muppetry policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

i fully agree with the above stance taken.
    As a suggestion to be incorporated into the guidelines.
    Any violation of the above policy should be reported PRIVATELY To either SheroN, Smiles, Gordon or the Admins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

How about some kind of open account, available only for this board, so that people could post up questions without people knowing who it is?

"Mary" or "John Doe" might be good names :P With a password like: personal

any thoughts?

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

well they could just log out and post as a guest ?

Can u still post as a guest now'in days ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Originally posted by smiles
    How about some kind of open account, available only for this board, so that people could post up questions without people knowing who it is?

"Mary" or "John Doe" might be good names :P With a password like: personal

any thoughts?

<< Fio >>

I think that's a great idea smiles, I know I'd like to be able to discuss a few things here without people I know reading stuff I don't necessarily want them to know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Yes smile's suggestion is a good one. Leave it with me, I'll look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Also, people should not take quotes from this board to use in flames or disagrements elsewhere.

bomB

Fair point bombidol.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Time to draw up a charter methinks......

Just to state what should and shouldn't be posted. Anything in after hours that seems to be male/female is being moved here by Monty, when its actually not what's supposed to be on this board. I'm far from innocent :p, but perhaps it should be made clear that posts such as bomb's rent one and azezils one about his brother are really what this board is for, as opposed to men -v- women threads or 'who's the sexiest...' threads. While 'discussions' on sexuality should reside on this board, imho, they need to be watched to keep on-topic, there being a huge amount of spammers/muppets/horny toads who'll jump on the first thread that mentions the 's' word.

:)

Azizel is working on a charter as we speak!...isn't that right? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

Ok the idea of the sudo names = good but wont peeps try to change the passwords? how about makes no difference what name you put in + 0 password as long as the name is not a one all ready used on boards or is not an account. + that should bea n option i.e if you want to use yor real name then you should be allowed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I think, unfortunately, with the nature of the net people will spam. Someone will post something really personal, and some 12-year-old will reply with horrible insults. It'll probably require more mod-ship after a while, hey the mods can double-up as agony aunts :)

I think the idea of anonymous log-ins is a great great idea. Even if you had the option to log in as Guest and post, or anything along those lines. Perhaps the Anonymous logins should only have access to the Personal Issues board, to ensure they don't use the log in to spam other boards aswell.

It'll be a great board if you can keep it spam free, definitely a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Somehow Koneko i doubt most of the spammers are 12 year olds... there are much older muppets out there just waiting to be moderated!

oh well...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Lol, yeah, love that phrase "just waiting to be moderated".

I just remember back in the day when I did a bit of modding/admining (which isn't a word, I know...), a lot of them were wikkle kiddies that just put up swear words, for no reason at all, but the 12-year-old was just an example.

Anyways, good board-idea fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

If people start to spam using the guest accounts, surely the admins can check out the IPs and then figure out who is it and ban/warn as applicable

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Reply to threads in a civil and well phrased manner

I facetiously agree with this adventitious and laudable proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Good good, we can count on your civil manner then, excellent.

Advertisement