Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Telco Traffic Retention News Story - 1 Year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

The 25 EU nations have varying data retention laws; 15 EU countries have none. Two countries –Italy and the Republic of Ireland, where law now requires that telecommunications data be kept for three and four years, respectively – will be allowed to retain the longer requirement.

I think they are confused about the data retention in Ireland v Italy, but it appears that there wont be any change as far as we are concerned. Why does McDowell love 3 years so much?

His logic (had on file, but from the Dail Debates, IIRC):
    “I do not believe there is much difference between six months and 36 months. If my privacy is some way infringed by having information on file or on a hard disk for six months, I do not regard it as a great reassurance to me to know it is erased after six months rather than 36 months. It would not change my sense of wellbeing to know that an additional period of time had not elapsed before the data was destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭jmcc

maidhc wrote:
    Why does McDowell love 3 years so much?
    Well at a guess, the real reason is because some patterns do not show up in a short time period like six months. Certain activites are long term.

Regards...jmcc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Absolutely. You'd need three years to know for sure that McDowell's a complete langer, for example.

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Absolutely. You'd need three years to know for sure that McDowell's a complete langer, for example.
    Or to get an accurate billing response out of a random ISP? ;)

Regards...jmcc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

They got their revenge today jmcc, I sent them a cheque for the latest bill and it put me into the red, which'll cost me an extra €10. :)

• Advertisement

Ken Shabby wrote:
    They got their revenge today jmcc, I sent them a cheque for the latest bill and it put me into the red, which'll cost me an extra €10. :)
    It would be interesting to get a Revenue opinion on the "deposit".

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement