Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Haunted Courtown, Wexford???

Options
  • 05-09-2005 7:30pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Watched Most Haunted last nite and it reminded me of a very spooky experience i had in courtown wexford years ago with a friend. Have been looking up on the web and cant find anything that suggests that the place is haunted.

I was walking back to a holiday house with my mate along a boreen right on the coast. There was no street lighting and the road was unlit. I cant remember the road name, it led to the main town. I remember a small old protestant church and graveyard on the side of the road.

Anyway, while the 2 of us were walking in the pitch black carrying torches, I got a feeling that we were being followed. I turned around and saw a glowing floating figure about 100metres away that looked as if it was floating toward us. I turned back around, a bit freaked but didnt say anything to my mate. Maybe it was a light reflection?

However my mate a min later turned around (I still hadnt said anything to him) and screamed "wtf is that" I turned around and the floating yoke was about 30 metres away. We legged it after that!

Anyway had a similar experience in the area or hear of anything like it???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Very interesting.

Just off the top of my head, what was the weather like? It could have been a patch of fog floating towards you, it'd light up when you shone the torch at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

faceman wrote:
    I was walking back to a holiday house with my mate along a boreen right on the coast. There was no street lighting and the road was unlit. I cant remember the road name, it led to the main town. I remember a small old protestant church and graveyard on the side of the road.

Is that the road that leads to Parklands caravan park after the graveyard? If so I know the place, and I heard that there were several car accidents along that road, one of which I know for sure resulted in a fatality. But what you saw was probably swamp gas. ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/folklore/will_o_the_wisp.html gives a good account of what you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Would you believe it I have had exactly the same experience years ago I was walking back from Courtown with my friend to my uncles’ holiday bungalow, and turned around and saw a white glowing shape following us. Then we both legged it back to the house.

It’s exactly the same experience we had unfortunately I lost touch with my friend are you him? Neil?

It was a very dark night and i think we had been down to one of the pubs in courtown although i think we were only about 17 at the time.

anyway it was the coast road which runs up from courtown past the petities supermarket and the church and my uncle had a bungalow at ardmine parklands is further up the road on the right.

I know when i turned around and saw the white shape i almost froze and the next thing i remeber is both of us running as fast as we could back to the house.

Strangely enough I was only thinking about that experience a few weeks ago, it’s the only time I ever saw what I thought was a really ghost. Except something which happened more recently when my wife and I felt a presence in a hotel room but that’s a different story.

I don't remember much else from that night except that experience as we were walking past the church.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Holy cabbages Furp, yes it was me that was with you! Whats more spooky the story itself or us bumping into each other here after all those years!!!

As for the comments about gases and stuff, I dont believe that it covers it as this "ghost" was moving toward us hovering above the tarmac. It was a warm clear summer night so it was a mist etc. Besides the "ghost" was very bright. Sounds like im trying to convine everyone but i have done some research hence my dismissals!!

Still tho, anything is possible. I have a few spooky experience but this was the most visual. That and dancing with the devil in the pale moonlight.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Furp wrote:
    anyway it was the coast road which runs up from courtown past the petities supermarket and the church and my uncle had a bungalow at ardmine parklands is further up the road on the right.

Yepp, that's the one I'm thinking of. There's been a couple of bad road accidents on that very stretch of road over the years.

I've heard of a very active (spectrally speaking) hotel located in Tralee, Co. Kerry, from which I have heard credible witnesses describe banging on doors, nobody there when the door was opened, followed by more banging, and almost instantaneous opening of door to reveal nobody again. Also, fog (!) patches in rooms, and an actual apparition of a female. I'll try to get the name of the hotel if anyone is interested in investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Please do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 coreyl145

i have live in courtown and have lived here for a looooooonnnng time!
    no creepy stuff ever happed to me.whan i go past the church noting happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

What is the name of the hotel In Tralee ? Reason for asking .. Want to avoid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Johnny Be Goode

Kernel wrote: »
    Is that the road that leads to Parklands caravan park after the graveyard? If so I know the place, and I heard that there were several car accidents along that road, one of which I know for sure resulted in a fatality. But what you saw was probably swamp gas. ;)

Down in Courtown for a few nights with family. I wonder if any,'History ' in this old hotel!?Any.other spooks stories in the seaside resort?ill google it when my wifes not a looking....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

faceman wrote: »
    Anyway had a similar experience in the area or hear of anything like it???

Not in the area but around 16 years ago, what I can only describe as a pillar of light, suddenly appeared in the middle of Stocking Lane in Rathfarnham while I was driving. At the time there were no street lights or footpaths on the road. Hit the brakes hard but then it was just gone. :confused:

I dont know , i found pirates cove spooky :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Johnny Be Goode

Will be off to see the ghost of Blackbeard at Pirates Cove tomorrow or Thursday so if I get any pictures,i'm sure to share with the paranormal community!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

i spent a lot of yrs in courtown growing up and heard a lot of stories around the area especially the road out by the church and graveyard, but i heard a story a few years back from a guy i worked with. he was staying in a hotel in courtown and during the first day there lots of wierd things kept happening tv comin on radio blaring and then the fire alarm goin off, any to cut a long story short that night they were all in bed when the fire alarm went off again only this time the halls were filled with smoke, when they all evacuated they discovered they had been logged in the hotel and all the staff had gone home. no one could explain why the fire alarm had gone off earlier that day, a warning maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 1 doons

This exact encounter happened to my brother and cousin in around 2012/2013 when they were 13 years old. We have a mobile home in Parklands and go down every year.

It was around 8 pm and my brother and cousin were meeting us in the old ardamine hotel. They cut through the field that links the park and the hotel. My cousin was walking behind a bit and he saw something from the corner of his eye. He looked over at the tree line at the edge of the field and he saw what he described as a white glowing tarp that was draped over something that was about 7ft tall. He presumed it was farming equipment and kept walking. They walk a few paces and when he looked back, the thing was moving slowly across the field.

They both legged it and got to the end of the field where they watched it for a few seconds but sprinted to get all of us in the hotel. They ran in frantic asking us to take a look. We went over to where they said this thing was but it was gone. However the waste high grass in the field was completely flattened in a trail that led out towards the backroads where they said they saw it. The tracks were approximately a meter across so whatever it was must’ve been a physical entity and was very big. They still talk about it to this day, they have no idea what it was…

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AntDublin

Was sitting in talking tonight about any experiences we have had and I had mentioned about something I seen in Courtown about 20 years ago that still plays in my mind. After explaining the event.... I then just randomly typed into Google... courtown ghost and came across this post.... so glad that others have seen the same.

Myself and my friend were driving up to Parklands one night from Courtown and as we were passing the graveyard and church... a white/grey cloudy shape/figure moved in a weird manner in front of us... we stayed silent for a minute or 2 and then after a moment... I said... did you actually see that.... my friend confirmed and was confused. It moved accross the road in a slow motion and had no definete shape but could best be described as a lightly glowing mist/cloudy shape... was so weird but after all these years I'm relieved to see others have seen exactly the same thing around the same area.

Advertisement