Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek isn't dead its just asleep

• 30-07-2005 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Whether you loved it or hated it,its now on its last legs and now with the end of Star Trek:Enterprise,comes the end of Star Trek. For 18 years we have been kept content with the constant knowledge that there would always be another episode next week and most of you will remember those times, when there were two and EVEN 3 series on at once. This tuesday that will all end,this is not the beginning of the end, but in fact the end of the end, it is only when you no longer have something that you begin to appreciate it.I know there are those are glad to see it end but you must agree its not how Star Trek should have ended. So what do we do now? What is there to look forward to? Hopefully Star Trek isn't dead, its just asleep.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ando

what, there's nothing after enterprise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

trekker_50 wrote:
    What is there to look forward to? Hopefully Star Trek isn't dead, its just asleep.

Well hopefully some one will wake it up and the night mare of Enterpise will be finally over :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gdez

Are they not going to make any more movie's?
    I actually thought the last 2 seasons of Enterprise were really good.

DS9 rules all.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

There's no new episodes of Trek being broadcast, so what? It hardly spells the death of all things Trek related. How long was the gap between TOS and TNG? Or if you want to get pedantic, how long the gap between TOS and TMP(which, I'm sorry, was TERRIBLE)?

Trek will return at some point in the not too distant future though I'm still peeved we didn't get a Sulu series...

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Go watch those episodes of Farscape you missed out on.

• Advertisement

I gave up on Farscape right about the time the little fat blob character started urinating explosives - there's just some sci-fi I can't take...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

gdez wrote:

DS9 rules all.

ds9 rules all?dont make me laugh ds9 was the second worst, not saying its bad or anything like i still watched it but everyone knows that it goes in this order

1.the next generation
    2.voyager
    3.the origional star trek
    4.ds9
    5.the abomination that was enterprise

still though the last episode of enterprise really was god awefull the only rey of sunshine was when you say riker and troy but even they couldnt turn that piece of crap into something half decent.

My humble opinion: do voyager movies next and get better writers for a new star trek cause everyone knows to kill of star trek would just be pure EVIL.

DS9 was cracking - especially some of the darker Dominion war stories - it mapped a whole new area of Star Trek and did it expertly, although I'll admit it took until season 3/4 before it really found it's feet. The biggest disappointment was the final episode of DS9, the war ended far too quickly and then the last 45 minutes or so just seemed like the writers were bored of it all.

TNG and VOY had the best final episodes I think then comes TOS and DS9 and ENT wallow at the bottom of the ending stakes. Really sad as ENT could have been so much better and DS9 deserved a much more powerful ending.

In overall series stakes I'd have to go TNG, DS9, TOS and VOY joint and then I'd take ENT into a dark room and quietly kill it...

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

I only ever saw one good episode of DS9 - it was a feature length battle between klingons,cardassians,the federation and the jem hadar it kicked ass! Terek Nor turned into a giant weapons platform firing at everything.
    However every other episode I saw was dull and trite and was more like watching "fair city in space" i didnt even bother watching much enterprise -that series completely fudged the star trek timeline up to the point where none of the other series seem to link with each other anymore -wtf were klingons and (friendly) andorians doing in that series? and how the hell was this ship never mentioned before? Nobody wanted a prequal but thats what we got :(

I say bring back THE SHATNER!

my top 5(6?)

1.TOS
    2.TNG
    3.Voyager
    4.DS9
    5.The animated series - (yeah, the really crap one)
    6.Enterprise - (at the bottom where it belongs)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Patricide wrote:
    1.the next generation
    2.voyager :eek:
    3.the origional star trek
    4.ds9
    5.the abomination that was enterprise

Ah ya Star trek "get to warp 10 and evolve into a reptile" voyager pisses all over ds9 with its well though out 4(5?) year war arc stupidly superior cast both in front and behind the camera and far far better characters development

Clearly its
    1. Ds9
    2. Tng
    3. Tos

The other 2 should be forgotten about apart from the odd episode voyager and enterprise where just awful with crap actors and characters apart from the doctor he ruled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Hercule wrote:
    However every other episode I saw was dull and trite and was more like watching "fair city in space" how the hell was this ship never mentioned before?

so true fair city in space the perfect comparrison :D

Also can someone tell me aswell what enterprise the one in the enterprise series is cause i allways thought enterprise A was the one with shatner :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Little OT, but I remember when i was a kid of 7 or 8 reading a startrek role playing book (based on original) and the "legendary" previous captain of the enterprise was mentioned at one point when you entered a time travel incident... if anyone can find a 20 yr old star trek role playing book ....i believe it may be archer that was this captain ...

Anyhoo back OT.. for me

1.DS9 - misunderstood series if you ask me and one of the best thought out
    2.Next gen - just because its was ace ...
    3.Voyager - cause it helped me though many late nights ... hate the munchkin voice though ... eek
    4.Orig - just didnt like it .. i know ... a milestone etc...etc...
    5.Enterprise - simply thought it sucked ...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

It's a much needed hiatus.
    Anyway, seeing as this has evolved into a trek ranking,

TNG - Foundation
    DS9 - Good storylines, new ideas, great character depth, let's not forget one of its great writers is now in charge of battlestar galactica.
    TOS - I know this ship like the back of my hand, whack.
    Voy - dire
    Enterprise - horrible, but decent recovery in the last series with new management, still, don't like the idea of prequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Patricide wrote:
    Also can someone tell me aswell what enterprise the one in the enterprise series is cause i allways thought enterprise A was the one with shatner :confused:

It’s the Earth starfleet ship Enterprise Nx-01 Kirks ships where the Federation starfleet ships Enterprise Uss 1701 and 1701-A Picard had the 1701-D and E

So its
    Earth -Enterprise-Nx01
    Feds- Enterprise-1701-A-B-C-D-E

Hercule wrote:
    I only ever saw one good episode of DS9 - it was a feature length battle between klingons,cardassians,the federation and the jem hadar it kicked ass! Terek Nor turned into a giant weapons platform firing at everything.
    However every other episode I saw was dull and trite and was more like watching "fair city in space"

The battles in DS9 were cracking, though the retaking of Terek Nor was a bit of a let down - "oh no our weapons are disabled and a single Defiant is on the way, RUN AWAY!!!!!!" Some of the best episodes of the series were the ones that didn't have massive space battles.

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges was cracking, showed that the squeaky clean Feds were willing to get their hands dirty now and then to for some tactical benefits. The same goes for In The Pale Moonlight and The Siege of AR-558, stories that developed the entire trek universe and showed different sides to the major powers.

Plus there were cracking character development stories such as Wrongs Darker Than Death Or Night, Honor Among Thieves and Time's Orphan. Plus the plain comedy episodes like The Magnificent Ferengi. DS9 was by far the most varied and well-written Trek series.

Still pipped at the post by TNG though, if only for that poor poor poor final episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I think there are two types of Trekkies, those who prefer the explorer - scientificy side and those who prefer the cool battles and consistant plot (where one episode runs into the next like a soap).
    Note the word prefer, I think we all like both and if you left one half out it wouldnt be trek, but I prefer the latter.

So for me its
    DS9 - Simply because it was dark. My favourite characters from all trek are in this: Worf, Garek, Quark
    TNG - though more of the former style than the latter, it has the best acting by far and the greatest mix of the two styles.
    TOS - Kirk wasnt afraid to get his hands dirty
    ENT - Season one was ok, IMO VOY was the only Trek to start good, all the others had mediocre starts when they were trying to find their feet, and the last season was brilliant stuff.
    VOY - Started good and had some consistant enemies like Scisca (sp), lots of borg and one of treks best episodes - The Year of Hell [sic] but it was all goody goody, and the sacred prime directive. I hate Janeway and Tuvok is a **** vulcan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

imo ds9 was the best and voyager was the worst. man i hated it. still each series had its great moments and those are what people should focus on.

toiletduck wrote:
    each series had its great moments and those are what people should focus on.

I agree and we do all have our own opinions so I guess with everybody ranking them there won't be alot of agreement. Still it was a shock to see people ranking Enterprise as anything but dire. I have to admit the only episodes I really liked were In A Mirror, Darkly Pts 1 & 2. If the entire series had been set in the alternate universe it would have been alot better. At least then they could have stuck two fingers up the the trek timeline and it wouldn't have destroyed the continuity of all the series (which up until now had been pretty good).

They're my thoughts anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I think there are two types of Trekkies, those who prefer the explorer - scientificy side and those who prefer the cool battles and consistant plot
    I'd say that's true enough, I'd go more for the former myself. The long dominion war story-arcs towards the end of DS9 caused be to loose a bit of interest that I've never since recovered (not helped by what came after). I prefer checking out the cool new worlds etc. each week.. when there's an ongoing war it's just too much of the same stuff.

My list :

1. TNG -- I grew up on this. Best TV show ever.

2. DS9 -- Never quite as interesting as TNG but a good show in its own right. Different, yet the same.

3. TOS -- This could be tied with DS9 for 2nd. It's just got a level of 'nice' that none of the others have.

4. VOY -- Dreadful characters, woeful acting. The writers didn't seem to know what they were doing half the time. Pity, it had an interesting premis.

5. ENT -- Just awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

So many people slagging voyager.

It cant have been that bad if so many people enjoyed it including me.
    Personally i dont think any of the ST series were bad, although im not very familiar with TOS. I think enterprise, TNG, and VOY were all as good as eachother, just my opinion though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Voyager was very good, keeping true to the nature of the original series premise, war is bad, diplomacy and inclusion is good, the notion that a series based around an extended conflict, as in DS9 and Enterprise, kinda goes against the grain, while teenage boys and US presidents may get great gratification from seeing things blow the crap out of each other Genes' idea was that humanity has passed the point of using violence and intimidation to solve every problem that comes along, see the themes in TNG and Voyager, and a peaceful future awaits us who embrace the ideals of unity and co-operation.

Or maybe not, who the hell knows, all I know is that even as a trek fan I watched bugger all DS9 originally as I could devote the time to the extended story arcs and found Enterpris series 2 and 3 very very boring. Time may change that but series 4 just showed what they should have been doing all along.

Advertisement