Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade Fire

• 20-07-2005 2:48pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Dunno if id class these guys as alternative or rock or whatever.
    While at U2 last month a guy that came along with one of us was talking bout arcade fire etc etc only for the U2 intro to include their song "wake up".
    Apparently they supported u2 in the states ,anyways i got their "funeral" album and must say apart from 2 songs it is top class stuff,seems really origional stuff to me.
    Anyone else like these guys?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

i don't think the album has any bad songs.. i think it's a pretty great first album and i'm looking forward to them playing here at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

They're playing here for Electric Picnic

Orgasmic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

I got really heavily into "Funeral" around Christmas, but their live stuff is remarkable. I have a million video and audio bootlegs of them, I'd love to see them in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

yep only got into them last week when my sister lent me there album.... cant stop listening to it... have not had an album like this is ages.. amazing stuff. kinda like the polyphonic spree but with more angst. and I will be going to electric picnic now on saturday just to see these guys and kraftwerk,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭miss serena

I loooooooooooooooooooooooove them! Can't wait to see them at Electric Picnic! I get tinglely just thinking about it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

I think they're great, but on Jools Holland Chris Martin said that they were his favourite band at the moment, which put me off a little :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Electric Mole

They're the best about at the minute, no doubt.

Rebellion (Lies) and Neighborhood #2 (Laika) are two of the best songs around right now, also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Funeral is an amazing album, I just cant wait to hear them live.... they are ment to be brilliant, I actually have a copy of the 2003 EP on vinyl, which is hand written and has crappy sleeve artwork, the sound is a bit dodgy on it but the re-released CD version is much better sounding..... pick it up if you can find a copy.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ooly

I really really like them, they're different. They were very good on "Later With Jools Holland" hopefully get to see them at electric picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

listening to it now.. they make songs about death sound so happy. i give funeral a 10/10 and recomend to everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

soorry to end this love-in a bit folks, but im going to slightly disagree. :D

after listening to it for quite a while now, i don't think it stands up too well at all to repeated listening. haven't felt the urge to put on funeral in over a month id say.

having said this; they are supposed to be incredible live, and i did like funeral when it first came out ;)

i also don't think they sound that original or different. they're not typical radio music i'll agree, but there are many bands that recieve less attention who are not that dissimiliar...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

having said this; they are supposed to be incredible live, and i did like funeral when it first came out ;)
    Brilliant band, turned onto them by a user on boards.ie ^^^ and been listening to them ever since. They're only getting their just rewards over here now though. Although they are pretty big in their homecountry afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I absolutely love this band. Only first heard the album last jan, quickly bought the ep after and have a rake of bootlegs in addition to all their old demos and that bizzare christmas album.

There's nothing quite like hearing/seeing Power Out live when they segue into Rebellion(lies) live, still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up after all these months.

Best album I've heard in at least two years, and definitely one of the best live acts I've ever had the pleasure of seeing.

goo: I don't suppose you have the jools holland performance? tis one I'm unfortunately missing

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭shano

they're on fire right now ;-)

I love this track - Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

i also don't think they sound that original or different. they're not typical radio music i'll agree, but there are many bands that recieve less attention who are not that dissimiliar...
    I agree. I love their album but it's not as if they're the saviours of rock'n'roll! Like some people seem to be saying...

I really like them and will definitely see them at the Electric Picnic but I just think the (understated) hype is a bit too much. That mightn't make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭k_money

Their live show looks amazing can't wait for it at the picnic!

Funeral and their ep are pretty solid. Real good sound, granted that it is not the most original, but everyone has influences, and there aint anything wrong with that comin through the band. All in all, one of the highlights of my musical year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Funeral is a fantastic album.really enjoying it!didnt know they were at the eletronic picnic!which day are they playing?would love to catch them live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

Redegg wrote:
    yep only got into them last week when my sister lent me there album.... cant stop listening to it... have not had an album like this is ages.. amazing stuff. kinda like the polyphonic spree but with more angst. and I will be going to electric picnic now on saturday just to see these guys and kraftwerk,,
    WOOT, Kraftwerk, ich leibe das.and thus ends the extent of my german.i downloaded the arcade fire and think it merits being bought now!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Check out the self titled EP too. It's equally as good as the Funeral stuff. Sound quality isn't as nice though

The girl sounds very bjork in one song on the ep, it's really good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

k_money wrote:
    The girl sounds very bjork in one song on the ep, it's really good!

Yeah, I thought that too. I had to check AllMusic to see if Bjork had done a guest slot or something on the album!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Really like the album. Pity I won't be around to catch 'em at Electric Picnic.
    Ah well, maybe next time.

It'll probably turn out to be the same as the killers, well maybe. Like they play a gig fairly unknown and do another one two months later and sell the place out

They're only doing one, as far as anyone knows, it's part of a festival, and they're already famous...

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

I actually thought it was joanna newsom singing with them. That would have been doubly cool

goo wrote:
    They're only doing one, as far as anyone knows, it's part of a festival, and they're already famous...

yeah but they still could get alot more famous, and there's nothing to say they won't play another one soon down the line.

My point was that seeing a band at Electric Picnic isn't really the same as seeing them "when they were small".

Well it kinda is.......cos they are pretty small

But it's at a ****ing festival.
    There may be few people at it, depending on timetable issues, but it's not like seeing them in a small venue or something. That's the fun of seeing a band before they're famous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Lots and lots of people have heard of Arcade Fire, and lots are going to the EP just to see them.

Including me.

Advertisement