Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would this PS2 Mod work?

Options
  • 17-05-2005 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm looking to mod a 2 year old ps2.
    A mate forwarded on this link..

http://www.modchip.com/ps2/slidecard.htm

(I'm hoping it's ok to post that link...if not, sorry :) )

Is it crap?

Also, were there or are there any effective mods which don't have any soldering , or at least some soldering a monkey could easily do?

Thanks in advance...

Pat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,836 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

patch wrote:
    Hi guys,
    I'm looking to mod a 2 year old ps2.
    A mate forwarded on this link..

http://www.modchip.com/ps2/slidecard.htm

(I'm hoping it's ok to post that link...if not, sorry :) )

Is it crap?

Also, were there or are there any effective mods which don't have any soldering , or at least some soldering a monkey could easily do?

Thanks in advance...

Pat.
    i heard bad stuff about them slide cards i think they could bust the ps2 or somthing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

duno about actually busting the ps2 - so long as you use them lovingly . But with a swap disks there is a terrible pain in the arse because it takes so long and it is extremely annoying. I would just buy a no solder chip instead - much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭axel90

swap disks are seriously annoying for a bit more get a good chip and download tutorials online.. chances are you'll lose the swap disk or something anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

slide cards damage mechanism of cd drive and swap discs wear out laser faster(all modded consoles have shorter laser life) they just sell it because it dont void warranty and thers no trace of usin em

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I have 2 X Spare swap magic no solder mod simple to install if anyone is interested in a trade would consider anything Xbox or GameCube

One has never been used the other was only used for a few months

• Advertisement

bennyc wrote:
    I have 2 X Spare swap magic no solder mod simple to install if anyone is interested in a trade would consider anything Xbox or GameCube

One has never been used the other was only used for a few months
    when you say anythin xbox or cube do ya mean gameswise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

weeder wrote:
    swap discs wear out laser faster(all modded consoles have shorter laser life)
    Aha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Please elaborate.
    How does the disk wear the laser out ?

Or is it that while doing the mod, they turn the power to the laser up beyond manufacturer's specs ?

ive heard when running burnt discs consoles lasers are put under stress and wear faster(happened to my m8s old ps1)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

weeder wrote:
    ive heard when running burnt discs consoles lasers are put under stress and wear faster(happened to my m8s old ps1)
    afaik:
    - Sony used crap lasers in the first place on the PS2. They burn out on the ones that aren't modded too. A replacement laser costs ~€80, compared to a DVD-ROM drive, including a much more durable laser, for ~€20.

- A Burned disk doesn't have as good a reflective surface, causing mis-reads. Thats probably why sony used the crap laser in the first place. It can be got around by turning up the power to the laser. If you turn it up too much that will shorten its life.

- Once modded, it doesn't matter what type of disc you use; original or modded, the laser uses the same power. It physically moves to focus.

So basically the laser burns out because thats exactly how sony designed it, to piss off software pirates

nintendo tought theyd never have to worry so they didnt use it and m$ dont matter because ya dont need a dvd drive in a modded console

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭axel90

Lasers don't wear out by reading ****ty disks although if your installing chip in slim ps2 the chips have been known to send weird currents to lasers burning them out... but now chip makers are realeasing seperate chip to combat this...ie a resistor in fancy packaging

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭patch

Righto...
    So, has anyone tried the flip top lid with the swap magic discs?
    It would seem any issues with this system seem to be with the awkwardness of releasing the cd tray.....the flip top would greatly improve this.

TBH this seems the cheapest and easiest solution so far.(bout 42 euro for discs and flip top case for older ps2, delivered)

If anyone can reccommend a solderless chip at a decent price along with advice on fitting it I may be swayed in that direction...

Cheers Guys...

Advertisement