Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill

• 16-03-2005 12:45pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

anyone from achill, it rocks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You mean it has loads of rocks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i am from achill and it does rock on some weekends (mainly bank holidays and during the summer) and it does have loads of rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

im not from achill but i went to the gaeltacht there last summer

Marty Mangan & co. Bet you enjoyed Dooega!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

irishgeo wrote:
    Marty Mangan & co. Bet you enjoyed Dooega!
    it wasnt dooega, it was colaiste acla.

• Advertisement

the village name is dooega!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭IrishTW

yep Achill is cool - I had to walk from Dooega to Achill Sound at 5am when on ols there last year!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

my gf is from there... wouldn't be gone on the place.... it's all fecken bungalows and bogs, and you'd better like deep fat fried food if you wanna eat out. even the salads are deep fried!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Mmmm, deep fried salad...

/drool

landser wrote:
    my gf is from there... wouldn't be gone on the place.... it's all fecken bungalows and bogs, and you'd better like deep fat fried food if you wanna eat out. even the salads are deep fried!

Think we have out 2005 holiday season phrase

Come to Achill even the salads are deep fried.

Dooega to Achill Island! Christ thats some walk. Who was the lucky women:)

Take it you have all been to the "niteclub" The Achill Head.

The beaches are great spots for beach combing for women during the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

Achill is great if you like sodomising sheep, and as for "Achill Rocks"...*cough* you mean Achill is a rock...cus thats pretty much all there is to it..reminds me of craggy Island only in less of a comical way and more of a wow...those poor people kinda way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭IrishTW

irishgeo wrote:
    Dooega to Achill Island! Christ thats some walk. Who was the lucky women:)
    To Achill SOUND!! Was at a party in the house of some people from the Irish college and had no other way of getting back .. actually one taxi passed us on the way but we were taking a rest outside the wall of some house and were well in off the road!!! :(
    irishgeo wrote:
    Take it you have all been to the "niteclub" The Achill Head.
    Yeah as the locals say "to get some head" :)
    MAGNOLIA wrote:
    those poor people kinda way
    Absolutely not - away from all the pollution, traffic jams, etc. Lovely beaches, great scenery, mountains, etc ... it's a different pace of life to what we're used to but I don't pity them .. well except maybe in winter ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

IrishTW wrote:
    ...actually one taxi passed us on the way but we were taking a rest outside the wall of some house and were well in off the road!!! :(

Don't you mean, THE taxi passed us? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 *dream09*

im not from achill but i went to the gaeltacht there last summer
    what month did you visit in last year?????

Don't you mean, THE taxi passed us? :D

Thats priceless mate considering THE taxi never showed up last saturday night and i didnt get home till 5 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I watch the sun set on Achill from across the bay in Lecanvey. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Me, my cousin and my friend, cycled to Achill from gaway.

We camped out for three nights on the beach, and got quite drunk.

oh... and we went surfing too.... Always with the surfing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Achill is great if you like sodomising sheep, and as for "Achill Rocks"...*cough* you mean Achill is a rock...cus thats pretty much all there is to it..reminds me of craggy Island only in less of a comical way and more of a wow...those poor people kinda way
    Yeah as the locals say "to get some head"

Lol!

I've been to Achill three times.The first two times, I hated it.

But it kind of grew on me like some kind of infectious disease. Now, I love the place and have fond memories.... of the bumper cars!

ahh the bumper cars. Havent been on them in ages. Might see if they are around in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

ahh achill, great memories down the valley house every summer

irishgeo wrote:
    ahh the bumper cars. Havent been on them in ages. Might see if they are around in the summer.

Tell me about it!

Also, don't forget the massive spinning wheel thing, (what the Hell are they called anyway?) with the weird strange man who loves to hear children scream! (shudder)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Zena

Achill is such a fab place - fantastic beaches and some A1 scenery.

There is a pub there called Lynotts... between villages of Cashel and Bunacurry - it is tiny, very old trad features - and the Guinness is absolutely yummy there!

Lynotts - no tv , 20 people would fill the plac and the guinness is good because the barrell is underneath the bar. No big long pipes for it to travel through or sit as the case may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭soph

ya achill is gorge (in the summer time, when the suns shinin)
    i worked ther for 1 summer! loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Yep Achill is the best, I have been going there maybe 10 times a year for the last 6/7 years, Inlaws are there in Keel village and dooega, infact i am going again tomorrow for the long weekend till tuesday and will be taking more photographs. must say if you know Achill then The Pub at Dooega is the best great drink all the time.

Achill is also very nice in the Winter, I am there most New Years and could not have a better time anywhere else, very freindly people :D
    can not wait till tomorrow, maybe i will see some of you heads down there, I will have the Black Achill Island Celtic Supporters Club Jacket.... or just shout for Brookie :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Achill is savage on the August bank holiday weekend, travelled up from the city (Castlebar!!!) last year. Decided to go for a little walk bout half six in the morning to go the shop (which definately wouldn't have been open!) and next thing I know it's about 3 and a half hours later and im still walking, about 12 miles down the road, past Polranny!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

the city (Castlebar!!!)
    HA! I'd hardly consider it a city!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

hacktavist wrote:
    HA! I'd hardly consider it a city!
    I'm with you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

Yoda wrote:
    I watch the sun set on Achill from across the bay in Lecanvey. :)

Don't make the poor sods jealous dear - just because you've joined us on the south side of Clew Bay!

Advertisement