Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Swordsman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Originally posted by Vader
    As for wisdom, I maintain that he was stubburn, presumptious and arrogant. And as for feel the force he couldnt even tell the difference between padme and the queen. He couldnt sense the fear or danger in anikin.

Agreed, I never said he wasn't stubborn, arrogant or presumptious. I agree he was stubborn, but this is more an advantage a lot of the time in my eyes. He is as arrogant as any Jedi is tbh, who wouldn't be a bit arrogant in their line of work though in all fairness. I'm not really sure on presumptious. Can't really remember episode 1 and haven't read any EU stories on him, so can't tell.

I siad I know its his clone in the latter eps. You must of missed that, no biggy

Just giving some information to all the folks that don't know it, though I did miss that you did know it.
    Does it say in the films where he spent the time between 5 and 6? He has new duds and is much more “Jedism” in his strain of thought. I was guessing he got this from yoda. A lot of time has elapsed between ep 5 and 6. Im guessing those death stars take a while to build!

It doesn't say in the films where he spends the time. It's explained in a book called Shadows of the Empire that he spends some of the time training in a circus of kinds on Tatooine by himself, and the rest of the time is spent planning to rescue Han with Leia and co. and also fighting with a guy called Xizor, who is also fighting Darth Vader over the Emporers favour. As far as I know during the this time, he never visited Yoda. His own training, thoughts and experience made him the more mature, Jedish character he is in the third film.
    I don’t see any evidence of this in the films. I do intent to read the EU but it will take a while. I still haven’t found tose books you recommended. Which ones pick up exactly where ep 6 left off?[/B

The Truce at Bakura picks up immediately after the films. It's a stand alone book, and isn't to bad. There's a great timeline available at www.TheForce.net.
    Hopefully you'll find a few books there that'll meet your wants. I'd say your best bet is to buy them though to be honest. I always do, and I've never regretted it.
    but you admit he wasn’t the best?

I agree'd he wasn't the best in the films, as he had only a small bit of training, but he is the best in his prime in my opinion.
    I wont diss your opinion. My logic was that he coulnt control his emotions or his desire. He reject the council of yoda and ben. He reminds me of Qui Gon, who I feel was a poor mentor. I don’t know what Qui Gon was like in the EU but in ep1 he is arrogant, stubborn, presumptuous and at times almost angry with Obi Wan.
    “That should be good enough for you”. That’s no way to speak to your friend.
    And its no way to train an apprentice imo. [/B
    It's true that that isn't the nicest way to treat an apprectice, but I can't really speak for him as a trainer as I haven't read any of the books set before episode 1 so I can't really comment, though, from the films alone, he was a bit off as a mentor, as he was past his prime, he wasn't sensing the foce properly, and was curt with his apprentice during stressful times.
    See this is the problem with the internet, its hard to know how serious the other person is. Read that line again :”oooouuuu harsh”. I was laughing when I wrote that. I was just joking because he was the one you picked. Only messing with ya man. Theres a lot to be said for my analysis in places even if Im missing key parts of the EU.

My bad :D

See what I was saying was that palpitine was distorting Yoda’s ability to feel the force and that thus he is more powerful. This is speculation but its plausible.

During the films the Jedi were losing their strength because there was to many Jedi, thus the finite well of power that is the force, both Light and Dark side, was being diluted by numbers, and a lot of the Jedi were to complacent due to easy times etc. So, during the films they were to weak to sense the Emporer right beside them, and he was to weak due to using all his power to hide himself in the presence of Jedi. After the film Yoda was using all his powers to hide himself, and to keep a watch on Luke and leia. And both Palpatine and Vader thought he was dead so they didn't concentrate on finding him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Vader

Was I right in saying that yoda thought he destroyed the last of the sith and what do you think of my colour analyses ?

Hmm, seems to me that green there represents intelligence and/or wisdom, but these are things you siad Luke didn't have, but didn't he have a green lightsabre in Return of the Jedi?

Seems good though. As for Yoda, don't know, never read any pre-Episode IV books, so I can't comment.

Vader broke his blue one or something?

Intelligence leads to arrogance when it doesnt lead to wisdom type thing, luke had a good idea to research the dark side and where'd it get him

But you still rescind that you he isn't intelligent/wisdom then?

• Advertisement

Hes definitly not wise, maybe hes intelligent, a dark green light saber we'll say and so leaning to the dark side

I was gonna ask why everything you say regarding Star Wars has to have some referance toward the dark side, then I remembered who I was talking to.

Anyway, like I said, he isn't particularly wise in the films, but he's more so in the books, something you admit you haven't read, so we can't really argue on. Time to move on methinks, as this topic has hit stale point right about now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭joshcork

Agility all the way thats one of the biggest qualities in a fighter so i'd go for yoda very hard to keep control of him
    Haven't seen enough Windu to make a proper judgement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭aine

Originally posted by de5p0i1er
    Yoda kicked some major ass in episode II, I waswell impressed with that fight scene and was dead pleased to see him get that that MTV award.

funniest part of that is when he uses the walking stick again after whizzing about the place kicking a** for half an hour!

its gotta be Yoda all the way!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Spock

Apparently we get to see the extent of old Palpit's abilities, hopefully against yoda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

clearly yoda, followed by vader

ask the poll again in a few years after a few new film fight scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I just spent a half hour writing a LONG reply only to get a logged out sign whenI hit "Post quick reply". It was all lost. Oh what a world...*fade to lack*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

grimloch wrote:
    clearly yoda, followed by vader

ask the poll again in a few years after a few new film fight scenes

I beleve you are answering the question based on what you deemed most exciting in the cinema, not a fair or accurate way to answer the question.

Qui-gon Died a Knight, not a hugely successful career. He trains a poor padwan imo. In his first encounter with Maul he barely escapes-we see him panting and exausted. He is killed by a padwan. Definitly not a contender.

OB-Wan He loses to maul-he only survives due to mauls arrogance (a common failing of the sith). But this i attribute to poor training from Qui-gon. Obi wan defeats anikan (though this is more anikans failing that his victory), is a general in the army, quickly attains the rank of Master. He is a warrior of skill and cunning as proven by both the latter. He lasts for a very long time in a duel with vader and only loses because he wants to, although vader may have won in the end.

Darth Maul can use the duel light saber, effortlessly defeats a 2 (more or less) Knights similtaniously. Fantasic, he is a fantastic swordsman. Unfortunatly we dont see enough of him.

Mace Windu is a master and a general. He succeds in killing Boba fete (sp) where many other Jedi have failed, including obi-wan. Im not sure how he dies, have heard rumours but will wait till next film. If clone wars is cannon this guy rocks!

Yoda failed to defeat Dooku imo, i believe dooku couldnt risk fighting any longer as his escape wsa imperitive to the war, not that he was afraid to lose, a sith fears nothing. Yoda was the last of the old Jedi, 900 years old! You dont survive that long without being nifty with a saber. However, if we assume that he is staying alive in a similar manner to vader then the two of them are on a level playing field. In this case it is important to remember that yoda fears vader, although he controls his fear. Yoda doesnt feel he can defeat him.

Dooku Powerful and talented, im interested to see how he dies. He may be more powerful than Yoda, he does defeat anikan and obi wan.

Anakin Skywalker Loses to Dooku, loses to Obi-wan. Too impetuous, arrogant. Thinks himself better than yoda. Puh leese. All that can be said for him is that he can use two sabers.

Luke Skywalker I maintain that he survives his duels with Vader only because Vader isnt trying to kill him, we know he has told the emperor that. He has raw skill thats obvious. He never fights a full scale army though but does well against a band of jabas mercineries. Any of the others on the list would have been able to single handedly secrure endor, he gets captured (becasue he thinks its the best thing for him to do).

Darth Vader Obi wan believed with training he could easily defeat yoda. Palpitine gives him that training. He wipes out most of the Jedi order despite his suit and the concentration it takes to stay alivve. He can afford to toy with Luke and other enemies. He leads his troops into battle. He defeats the emperor. Can use two sabers and is capable not only of using the force while attacking but also of preventing others of using the force.

There is a woman in clone wars (sith wanna be) who should probably be given a say in this debate. Can use two sabers, good tricks, fast, talented, but not a sith. Dooku was more powerful than her and anikan made her afraid when he prevented her from using the force.

My vote is for Vader. BUT this might change after I know what happens to Dooku and Mace.
    Im not basing my decision on effects in movies but I also dont wanna use the logic Liverpool beats Man U, Man U beats Arsnal, Liverpool beats Arsnal. Just doesnt work like that, each Jedi has skills/style which might work against one style but not another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Shrapnel

mace windu.

He perfected an extra level on the lightsaber training all by himself, and only he and two others mastered it, His apprentice, and Anakin. It required the channeling of aggression to what was opinioned to be a dangerously dark level by the council, and very few trainees were accepted.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

How can you have a poll about the best swordsman and not have Ron Jeremy on it? ;)

Of the choices available - gotta be Yoda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Ren0

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**']Wasn't there a quote in SW EPII where obi said to Anakin something along the lines of "If you practiced your saber skills as much as your <insert whatever it was> you might even rival the sword skills of master yoda"

I'm pretty sure he said Master Windu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

yoda, no contest. windu second all the flip flop sh*t he does

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Ren0

For the colour of lightsabers:

It seems to only be females who wield Yellow sabers

Sith/Dark Jedi only use red sabers

Mace Windu uses a purple saber, maybe indicating commander or warrior

The Kel Dor on the Jedi council uses an orange saber.

Qui-Gon Jinn and Yoda use green, perhaps to indicate their guidance. Luke Skywalker constructs a green saber in return of the jedi, by this time he seems to be a more guided Jedi.

Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi wield blue sabers, possibly indicating guardians or enforcers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

It has to be yoda. That scene in episode 2 is the best one I ever seen. C'mon the little guy runs ring around the other guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Seed

Windu is the most skilled with a light sabre. Just a few others are more in tune with the force ie. Yoda.

But considering this is a topic about the best swordsman, then it's Windu.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭elvenscout742

Dooku, 'cause he useth this weird, rare, out-of-fashion technique ;) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Obzer

Im goin with Maul. He took On 2 jedi and won,fast as **** and didnt lop off any limbs with a double saber.Now Thats an achievement. he even had time to force push a cloth from the floor to open a door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Obzer

Mace Windu is a master and a general. He succeds in killing Boba fete (sp) where many other Jedi have failed, including obi-wan. Im not sure how he dies, have heard rumours but will wait till next film. If clone wars is cannon this guy rocks!

in aotc boba fett is just a kid Mace kills bobas father Jango

Lighsaber colours from kotor
    Blue:jedi guardian fights up close with saber
    Green:jedi consular uses force powers only uses light saber defensivly
    Yellow:jedi sentinal Mix of the 2 above
    Red: Dark Jedi
    Purple:a jedi who is boarderline light/dark eg.Windu's use of agression in his lightsaber technique :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Darth Brawl

its yoda,he was the best sabre duelist
    then its really hard to pick second

mace wud be up their ,dooku and vadar

darth maulisnt in with a shout,he uses a dual for gods sake ,he is clearly making up for his lack of skill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

for me 'twas a flip up between Yoda and Dooku, Dooku because he took on two jedi at once, and with only a single bladed lightsaber, also he takes on aniken with two lightsabers!

however I was gonna go with Yoda because he was possibly the better swordsman in their fight

I may wish to change that vote to Mace Windu after I see Ep3, afterall, he is said to be the strongest of all the jedi

but I stick by what I said dooku

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Darth Brawl

do u wanna know who kills dooku on his own,after readin ep3 book,i say anakin was the best,then mace,u will all soon see, but the drak side currently clouds everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Seed

Qui-gon Died a Knight, not a hugely successful career. He trains a poor padwan imo. In his first encounter with Maul he barely escapes-we see him panting and exausted. He is killed by a padwan. Definitly not a contender.

Darth Maul can use the duel light saber, effortlessly defeats a 2 (more or less) Knights similtaniously. Fantasic, he is a fantastic swordsman. Unfortunatly we dont see enough of him.

The contrast here is really quite funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Ren0 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure he said Master Windu

I'm pretty sure he said Yoda :)
    If you practiced your saber techniques as much as you do your wit, you would rival Master Yoda as a swordsman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Zakerius

I must say I am shocked. In all fairness Yoda was awful. They were just some messed up CGI effects: we never really see Yoda fighting, just a green blur swinging. Obi Wan in his fight with Darth Vader shows some serious skill with his saber, as does Vader. And I would have voted for Vader if it wasn't for Obi Wan's calm demeanour whilst fighting Vader. Anyway, I guess I'm just a die hard fan of the originals...any of you who have seen Spaced will know how I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

the phantom menace was 18 months ago tim... yeah, i know bilbo, look, it still hurts...

Oh god I love that show!!

Advertisement