Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guided By Voices

• 25-03-2005 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

anyone else a fan?

one of the greatest bands of all time.
    Although they were an expensive hobby with a myriad of solo records from Robert Pollard, side projects etc. Plus three box sets.

Highly recommend the Human Amusements At Hourly Rates compilation for someone who wants an introduction. Usually found at around €12/ €13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

I liked Bee Thousand but that's the sum of their work I'm familiar with. I've been meaning to grab Half Smiles of the Decomposed for a listen but just haven't got around to it. What do you think, is it better/worse than BT, or ... ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Mixie wrote:
    I liked Bee Thousand but that's the sum of their work I'm familiar with. I've been meaning to grab Half Smiles of the Decomposed for a listen but just haven't got around to it. What do you think, is it better/worse than BT, or ... ? :)

Bee Thousand is my favourite GBV album
    Half Smiles isn't as good, but is worth getting nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

They're a band I wanted to get into further but never really knew where to start. They have a song I really like though 'Back to the Lake'.

0utshined wrote:
    They're a band I wanted to get into further but never really knew where to start. They have a song I really like though 'Back to the Lake'.

go for Human Amusements At Hourly Rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Thanks nlgbbbblth, that's exactly what I'm looking in for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Human amusments at hourly rates is fantastic
    ive got half simles but they have so amny albums its a little intimidating where else to start

Human amusments at hourly rates is fantastic
    ive got half simles but they have so amny albums its a little intimidating where else to start

Next you should get
    - Bee Thousand

follow it with
    - Alien Lanes
    - Propellor
    - Under The Bushes Under The Stars

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hey hey glad girls....

isolation drills is where its at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Human Amusement was my first proper introduction to GBV and I'm utterly addicted to them now. One of my regrets in life now is never having seen them live.

Are Pollard's solo albums any good?

DadaKopf wrote:
    Are Pollard's solo albums any good?

yes - they all are.

start with
    Waved Out

then
    Speak Kindly Of Your Fire Volunteer Department (with Doug Gilliard)
    Not In My Airforce

want more?
    Kid Marine
    Fiction Man
    Choreographed Man Of War (with His Soft Rock Renegades)
    Motel of Fools

also worth a purchase is Edison's Demos - vinyl only release of the Earthquake Glue demos. Credited to Robert Pollard

then there's the offshoots/side projects -
    Airport 5,
    Circus Devils,
    Go Back Snowball,
    Lexo and The Leapers
    Lifeguards
    Nightwalker

all good with the possible exception of Nightwalker

the Tropic of Nipples s/t and the Phantom Tollbooth records aren't the best though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Guided by Voices are fúcking great, caught them at the Ambassador three years ago and been a fan ever since. Then they broke up...

Out of the, I dunno, 54 albums, Bee Thousand remains my favourite, first GBV album I listened to. Isolation Drills and Earthquake Glue come after.

Which Robert Pollard album(s) do ye recommend? Should check his solo stuff out.

[edit] Ah, Waved Out. Cool. [/edit]

Advertisement