Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your most important Indie/Alt moment

• 22-03-2005 11:44am

Simple. What was the most important Indie/Alternative moment for you? Did you hear a song and say "Its indie rock n'Roll for me"
    Or have you met someone who influenced you.
    Etc.

My most important indie/alt moment was probably when I heard "100%" by Sonic Youth. That was the moment I rwalised I wanted to a bass player.

Changed my life so it did.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The first time I listened to Radiohead's The Bends from start to finish turned me into a music anorak for life.

More recently, the first time I listened to Damien Rice's 'O'. I was stoned at the time and just vegged, letting the music flow through me. It completely held me and mid way through 'Cheers Darlin' I realised my eyes were a bit too watery...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

There are too many to choose. But seeing At The Drive-In in the Temple Bar Music Centre was a highlight. At the time I was really big into the album Relationship Of Command - it was a highly charged concert, tight, sweaty, loud - just awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

First time I heard 'Modern Life is Rubbish' by Blur. I was only 13 or 14 and not really into music until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

The Verve at Slane in 1998. I was 17.

It sounds stupid, but I've never even liked the band. I somehow managed to get separated from my friends in pre-mobile phone ubiquity. Just standing amonst the crowd in a still summer's night, with the amazing sound just washing over me.

I'll never forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

That was a great gig alright, t'was one of my first 'proper' concerts and I'll always have happy memories of it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭JimboPope

Hard to say, not really an indie moment but i remember hearing Bob Dylans Like a Rolling Stone while I was down in a mates house, I think i was around 15 at the time. Blew me away, from that point on it was "serious" music all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

I remember the first time I heard Green by REM - blew me away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Never had one. My transition from out-and-out rock fan to "fan of everything good, including indie" was a slow, subtle one that took many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I was never really into music when I was young, all the people that I hung around with were either into dance/pop or not into music at all. Then digital tv came 6 years ago when I was 14 and I got introduced to the music channels, that coupled with napster and Esat Surf No Limits, and I quickly established a love of all good music not just alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ah yea, Napster + Esat SNL = Bliss.

At least until Audiogalaxy + DSL anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

when i heard, "it's indie rock and roll for me" by the killers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭The Fitz

The first time I heard Urban Hymns, The Verve. What a day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

more recently, listening to 'you forgot it in people' by broken social scene for the first time figures big but lisdoonvarna in the rds was kind of memorable as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I was 14 and I had borrowed a few cd's from my uncle. Put on the first one. Mind exploded. Music had taken on a whole new meaning thanks to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Let Love In, oh yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

krinpit wrote:
    The Verve at Slane in 1998. I was 17.

It sounds stupid, but I've never even liked the band. I somehow managed to get separated from my friends in pre-mobile phone ubiquity. Just standing amonst the crowd in a still summer's night, with the amazing sound just washing over me.

I'll never forget it.

similar scenario in Pairc Ui Chaoimh in 96 seeing oasis for the first time was only 14 and was half pissed on cheap cider. the moment i knew that i was gonna pick up a guitar and start a band.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Listening to Rufus Wainwright's version of Halleluiah and crying the day I came home from Irish College.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

being bored one day i stuck my windows95 cd into my computer and looked at the media clips.

saw buddy holly by weezer and that got me hooked on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

hearing The Fall for the first time
    October 1985 on John Peel, track was Cruisers Creek,
    got This Nation's Saving Grace LP that Christmas and they then became my favourite band - and still are to this day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    There are too many to choose. But seeing At The Drive-In in the Temple Bar Music Centre was a highlight. At the time I was really big into the album Relationship Of Command - it was a highly charged concert, tight, sweaty, loud - just awesome.

Damn I wish I could have been there

Hearing Heartworm for the first time would probably be my favorite moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

Papa Hoff wrote:
    Did you hear a song and say "Its indie rock n'Roll for me"

Nope, never. I don't discriminate by genre I just enjoy good music. I listen to everything from lemon jelly to interpol to wacky underground hip-hop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Thinking about all the moments one stands out, the first time I listened to "Up on the Sun" by Meat Puppets, it was so different, so enjoyable and so full of talent and innovation.... made me feel happy knowing that I'd discovered something brilliant that rarely anyone knew about.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭trippertds

Listening to the first few seconds of crashing cymbals on Surfer Rosa on the way home from the shops

Advertisement