Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Office (American version)

• 22-03-2005 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Here's a preview of the new US version of The Office, which starts on Thursday.

http://www.myspace.com/theoffice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

Not bad, just watched it. Never be as good as the original tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

thought it was quite good. very funny, has parts that are almost as funny as the original. it's a lot more brash and less subtle than original, which i don't particurly like. but good preview none the less!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

haha! I thoguht a remake would be really bad but it was actually very funny. the part where he is talking in the accent to the Indian girl who clearly has an american accent was great,and thens he hits him.lol,if it is consistant it might be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Pinx

They were talking about it on GMTV this morning, and they were all of the opinion that it'd never be as good as the original as it'd be so hard to capture the humour. They mentioned something about canned laughter but I didn't catch what they said because I was getting ready to go to work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

tvnutz wrote:
    the part where he is talking in the accent to the Indian girl who clearly has an american accent was great

loved that part, but it was so horrible to watch. could only watch it between my fingers out of sheer horror!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks like a hit, folks. Positive reviews all round.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=19720

Gervais fanboys will no doubt be up in arms, but this looks like its gonna be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

haha i didnt realise brick from anchorman is the main character

looks like it could be decent will have to check it out as it progresses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

can we see this over here or is it just on US TV ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

It is just on US TV at the moment. No doubt it will probably air over here sometime. A lot of people on this side of the pond would want to see it.

Subtle, Winters. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

rofl

thought winters had gone space crazy there for a second

I just watched that preview. It was very very funny. If they keep the standard up, NBC could be on to a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

lmao

very subtle indeed

i believe BBC3 has the rights over in this part of the world. maybe RTÉ or someone will pick it up too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

heh, that was pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

That was interesting. It was quite funny. Im looking forward to it now. Thanks for the post aodh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

was OK, not as bad as it was looking at first, not sure if I could watch it regularly though
    (it does have to adapt to suit the US, though)

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

It is quite funny. A different style from the English one but good nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Enjoyed that. Has potential.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

can the amercians come up with orginal anymore themselves anymore seem to be copying alot of brit comedys gameshows etc.

v funny thow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ivylooloo

I just watched the episode tonight, it was pretty funny. Lots of the comedy was based on akward silences. It wasn't quite as good as I had hoped, but I'll be watching next week to see if it gets better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It felt like The Office from some strange alternate universe where jelly is called jello....

How many episodes are there going to be to a season? Will it be UK style 6 episodes or US 14 - 24 episode style?

6 episodes.

1. Pilot
    2. Diversity Day
    3. Health Care
    4. The Alliance
    5. Basketball
    6. Hot Girl

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It was OK.... as a HUGE fan of the British series, i was hoping for more original material in the pilot but apparently after this it's all new material!

The next episode will be written by BJ Novak (who plays the new guy, Brian Howard, in The Office and was also in Punk'd)

Am i alone in loving that theme tune though? Might make it my ringtone... very groovy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Basquillech

I thought it showed a lot of promise although it was just a pilot.
    Obviousely it will never have the impact of the original but provided the writing is up to scratch and it doesnt get too repetitive It should be good,
    Don't know how the Americans will react to it though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

A number of points...

- The first episode was shown on NBC last Thursday at 9:30pm was essentially a rehash of the first BBC version with the stapler in the jelly.

- "Jello" is jelly.

- Apparently the next few episodes are original

- Ricky Gervais is involved in the project.

- The next episode is on NBC tomorrow night (Tuesday) at 9:30pm and that will be its time slot for the rest of the season (it helps that it is preceeded by Scrubs)

- There is no canned laughter as in Arrested Development and Scrubs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

there's canned laughter in scrubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i think he means there is none like Scrubs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Just to shove my tuppernce worth in on this thread, but I've seen episodes 2 and 3, and while they're no match for the original, they are pretty good. Diversity Day, #2, has some pretty good lines. I was very disappointed with the pilot being, as it was, a rehash of the BBC pilot, but it's kinda come into its own since then. I'm enjoying it.

Of course, the damn Yanks won't get it at all, and it'll be cancelled pretty sharpish. Shame. The guy playing the boss is very good.

Now that the series is over (episode 6 was last night), whats the final verdict? I have to say that I've been hooked. Michael may not be as good as David Brent, but he is damn close. Dwight is even more annoying than Gareth (in a good way). And the biggest surprise is Jim & Pam's reproduction of Tim & Dawn's chemistry... they really nailed it in episode 4 and 5, and it was great to watch.

Favourite episode so far was the basketball game last week... great stuff. :)

Looking forward to watching the last episode tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

TmB wrote:
    Favourite episode so far was the basketball game last week... great stuff. :)
    Was just about to find this thread to post about that episode.

It was brillant from start to finish! Loved Michael insulting Dwight when he made the Lord Of The Rings reference. Also, Dwight's faceguard and Michael's shots.

Still don't think it had the same appeal as the UK version. Maybe because Dwight is irritating.. but nowhere as good as Gareth. And also i just don't get any chemistry between Jim and Pam... compared to the melting pot that was Tim and Dawn! :D

Overall... a very good 6 episode series! Not as memorable as either series of the UK version but very watchable!

Advertisement