Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox bios (first *proper* post :p)

• 20-03-2005 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Nice timing for this forum to surface, I'm just about to embark on modding my xbox to make it into a media centre, But I'm a little stuck!

Xbox ver: 1.4
    Chip Xecuter2.6CE /w Xapt3r solderless

I've downloaded x2_4983.06_256k.bin which Is the bios I think i should be using, and have a few programs to help. I've mainly been going off this tutorial (registration required) but the tutorial doesn't seem to use the bios that I was going to use.

so in short, Which bios should I use.. and which programs/tools should I use to get the thing going?

(demanding, I know.. but i'm lost! :( )

Thanks,

noog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I dunno if naming the bios is allowed here.

Anyway for *most* bioses it would involve creating a boot disk, putting a dummy file called DUMMY.BIN (this can be any large file (around 200mb) renamed to DUMMY.BIN on a disk along with the bios (for example the legal cromwell bios) The dummy file helps the xbox read the disk better.

Your mod chip, when booted, should have an option to flash the bios. Just place your CD in the drive, and select Flash from CD. Be aware that not all CD-R's will work with and xbox so you may have to try a DVD-RW.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Get yourself the LPT(Parallel port) programmer, or borrow one off someone.
    They're immensely handy.

I've a brew for a 1.4 Bios cooked up here I think, 48-bit LBA too afair
    PM me for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

The most straight forward way to do it easy locate "Slayer 2.6 Installer".

It contains everything you need. Apps, Emulaters, XBMC. Just burn it to a bootable cdrw and boot the xbox from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Slayers is good. The programmer isn't need if you have a nice bios already, just use a cd or DVD. Mine works fine, 200gig hdd and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

Spent a few hours this afternoon doing it.

What i did:
    make a 1024k bios containing:

bank1: flashbios3.3
    bank2: 2x256k evox bios

burnt to disc with a 100mb dummy text file and used flashbios to flash.

am now installing slayers, it looks pretty good, thanks Wavey :)

• Advertisement

it's all working now.. lookie

click

Jesus Noog, you could've resized the pic ffs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

jesus, your obviously an intelligent person - could you not have resized the pic????

He's from the UK, where they have marginally better broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

one controller, no mates

and em good work

• Advertisement

bazH wrote:
    one controller, no mates

and em good work

except I have 2 controllers not in shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭doshin

hi all, sorry for jumping in but would anyone have a spare slayers lying around for a thompson hd that has a new xecuter 2.6 installed?

just download it from the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Giblet wrote:
    I dunno if naming the bios is allowed here.

To clarify; you can name it. As long as no instuctions are given on how to copy or play copied games in any form then it's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭doshin

i can't just download as my only net access is at work and you need administrator clearance. :(

Advertisement