Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are the P.p.p.peppers past it?

Options
  • 20-03-2005 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering but my faith in the peppers has been kinda fading recently and there new material just dosent seem to appeal to me. I mean blood sugar and cali... were always my favorite albums. To me , when a band releases their greatest hits - thats usually it , they're on a downhill slope.

Thank god I can ask this and not be invaded by mini moshers plugging the lastest deathmetal band or why I should listen to dog vomit revival 17 albim this month....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I'm just wondering but my faith in the peppers has been kinda fading recently and there new material just dosent seem to appeal to me. I mean blood sugar and cali... were always my favorite albums. To me , when a band releases their greatest hits - thats usually it , they're on a downhill slope.

Thank god I can ask this and not be invaded by mini moshers plugging the lastest deathmetal band or why I should listen to dog vomit revival 17 albim this month....

not sure if the RHCP fit into an alternative/indie category?

anyone - in my opinion they have only got two good songs
    Magic Johnson (from 1989's Mother's Milk)
    Sir Psycho Sexy (from 1991's Blood Sugar Sex Magik)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

no they are in the indie category by my understanding

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Try graphing "Quality of RHCP Output" with respect "Heroin Consumption" and you'll deduce that rehab isn't the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

just want to gauge opinion on a forum-wide ban of any mention of the RHCP. i find it offensive that they are anywhere to be found on a music board but in indie/alt is really pulling the plonker.

they make me physcially wretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

karlhoff wrote:
    just want to gauge opinion on a forum-wide ban of any mention of the RHCP. i find it offensive that they are anywhere to be found on a music board but in indie/alt is really pulling the plonker.

they make me physcially wretch.
    This coming from a man who is mod of the David Hasselhoff forum :rolleyes:

Personally speaking, early RHCP may have fit loosely into the alt/indie sphere, but they're long past that stage.

Pop tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    This coming from a man who is mod of the David Hasselhoff forum :rolleyes:

bit of a cheap pop.

DH is a style icon, RHCP are a very mediocre band which have become the default band for backpacker types and anyone who can't be arsed.

anyway, in a roundabout way you agreed with me so lets hug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

98fm fodder / alternative for the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Now in fairness, RHCP have had some good songs in their time. 'Under the Bridge' is a classic whether you like the song or not.

Their gig at Slane two years ago was fantastic, Frusciente in particular played a blinder. I don't think the energy or passion of their live gigs quite makes it across to the albums though.

As to their "classification"? I'd say funk/pop/rock

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I thought the live gig in Phoenix park last year was pants. They put no effort whatsover into giving a performance. They came out, played their set to formula and that was it. Someone behind me who had been to Slane the year before know the song order off by heart.

As for albums, Californication was great, I really loved how they mixed their traditional rap sound with a more mellow indie sound. "By the way" just sounded like a rehash of the formula though.

For an idea of their live gigs lately:

http://www.nme.com/reviews/11688.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shivface

changing the subject slightly but the pixies were amazing at that gig. rhcp were good for a long time but i agree, the answer is more drugs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Pheonix Mucho> slane

Moshing in pit 2 .... sweet .... probably gonna be one of the best memories of my life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Wayyyyyyyyyy past it and have been for a few years. I got my head bitten off in another thread here for saying so.

Advertisement