Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow watch 1

• 21-02-2005 9:41pm

New thread to replace the old one

All aboard the Snow train :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Carlow @20:45:

Clear skies with severe frost setting in, and with the roads wet from today driving conditions will be dangerous, so easy on the breaks boys and girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Astro1996

Tallaght

cloudy Temp 2.2C, DewP -2.2C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts (E)

Clear sky, no snow, no rain, cold but not freezing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Nice shower of large hailstones about 15 mins ago in the North Strand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

clear skys in meath, cold and frosty, temp around 1c, hasnt snowed since the snow of this morning, a few hail pellets during the evening - i dont think it will snow tonight but the roads will be icy in the morning as the roads are very wet.

there appears to be a shower around dublin atm but apart from that the irish sea is free from precipitation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Not looking too good is it now?

Reminds me of Feb 27th 2001 had a similar thing happen,
    hail showers melting onto ground, temperature too high
    but we know what happened then..

Im currently keeping my eye on something to
    the east of England off-shore..

Otherwise we can hope for some showers to pop
    up the Irish sea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

EIDW 212100Z 05008KT 9999 -TSRASN FEW010 SCT018CB 02/M00 Q1016 TEMPO 4000 -SHSN SCT005 BKN018CB=

Omg, thunderstorm in north Dublin (sleet), anyone in that area? am astonished by this report!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Lampost watcher, weathercheck..have you seen any flashes in the sky..??

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

skipped class tonight and home a half hour.

No flashes or anything here in Lusk, just broken cloud and quite windy now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Shouldnt have had felix nothing much happening..
    can see planes taking off Longfield.. the showers
    gone and certainly wasnt that severe ;)

• Advertisement

Am honestly wondering about the Dublin Airport observers...today they were reporting -RASN (sleet) when its absolutely positively not sleet..the only water around was the snow melting..that really got my goat up, i speak as an 80's observer..yes i have seen proper snow), also reporting -TSRASN with cape and li as they are, imho seriously up to question, either the reporter thats in Dublin airport at the moment is someone from siberia or northern America/Canada that thinks if its melting on the ground it must be sleet and if they see a flash in the sky (at an airport!!!!!!!!!) it must be lightening!!! ..or I'm loosing it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Darwin

Laois..light hail shower @ 9.40, current temp of 0.5C..going to be very cold tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭NocturnalDonkey

Light covering of snow in Monasterevin. Road is slightly white with tyre tracks and the cars have about a cm of snow on them. must have snowed a couple of hours ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭highdef

Conditions on Met Eireann recent reports @ 21:00 :eek:

CASEMENT NE 04 THUNDERSTORM 2 87 Trace
    DUBLIN AIRPORT NE 09 Gust 25 THUNDERSTORM 3 81

Well it was a combination of being lazy too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Dry and clear here in east Wicklow

Temp 4C (was up to 4.7C at 20z)
    Dp -1.8C
    Grass temp 0.0C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fupping cold and clear, some frozen flakes on the car...

Mike.

Roads in carlow are bad, there has been a heavy snow shower in the last hour and it has stuck on the roads in places. Oh and real snow it is nice and soft.

ooooh
    For snow rampers there was a good forecast on BBC one just now.
    Helen Willits showed the origin of the air heading our way and it was blue all the way back to moscow where the max today was minus 11 c
    She also mentioned That low pressure system tracking across Europe right now and it should be in Britain for thursday.

Longfield may remember this but in 1987 a similar system moved down from scandanavia into Scotland and Northern England delivering a lot of snow there.

It crossed the Irish sea, pepping up as it did so and delivered snow as it moved southwestrwards across the whole of Ireland right the way down to valentia.

It reserved its biggest dumping for the East and I remember it well.
    Ian McCaskill was a main forecaster on BBC one at the time and he flagged the system a day or two before it arrived.

He said The great white Siberian army is approaching - I never forgot that phrase :) and it came and dumped several inches of snow here.

Point of my story- I think we too should be watching that Low trekking across Europe as when it gets out over the Irish sea it will pep up and at that stage the air is going to be a lot colder than it is now so snow is a given and lots of it-Thats assuming the system maintains present course and speed.
    There will be a lot of "home grown" activity on Tuesday night and wenesday too I think.

Sounds good!

So forget about anything of interest for tonight and tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

irish1 wrote:
    Roads in carlow are bad, there has been a heavy snow shower in the last hour and it has stuck on the roads in places. Oh and real snow it is nice and soft.

I read that and thought, Carlow's not far from here... I was just outside half an hour ago and nothing to report, but..

Kilkenny City outskirts (E)

In the last half hour we have had some snow. Cars covered, grass covered, but none on the roads near me, still too wet.
    It's not snowing now though. Feels a bit colder.

Earthman I just hope that army marches to carlow, I think we could have some serious snow later in the week if that system continues to head our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I'm snowed in under 20ft of snow.. please someone send help...

Felixdhc wrote:
    Sounds good!

So forget about anything of interest for tonight and tomorrow?

Well just enjoy what you see between now and then and hope that things fall into place.
    Actually there could also be a lot of showers on wensday too remember.

The other thing of note is that forecasters are carefully putting aside any decision on calling when exactly this cold spell is going to end.
    They are now using terms like "foreseeable future" and "digging its heels in".

Couple that with some of the charts appearing on models out of what I would call normal reliability range and you've got a lengthening cold snap if you ask me.

there doesnt seem to be an obvious break down to this... yet

Peace wrote:
    I'm snowed in under 20ft of snow.. please someone send help...

Trolling not allowed here consider this a warning-this thread is meant to be informative and helpfull not snide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hi boys and girls.

Plenty of snow in South Laois and North Kilkenny, The Freshford-Johnstown/Urlingford route is lethal, tick under ice and 2cms of snow lying.

The N8 between Cullohill and Durrow is *almost* white covered, even though it was salted earlier.

All local routes are severe. -0.1c here at the moment, two very heavy snow showers this evening. 8pm and 10pm. Lasted 15 mins each.

I am impressed with this "lake effect" snow from the Irish sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

From met eireann :

Overall the dry weather will remain unbroken. However wintry showers will occur most notably near the East Coast. They will develop over the Irish Sea and be carried onshore by the wind but may not penetrate inland to any great extent. And as a result many places will remain fairly dry at least up to next weekend.

BOOOOOO!!! :mad:

Danno wrote:
    I am impressed with this "lake effect" snow from the Irish sea.
    It hasnt even started... (properly) I guess you have got your answer as regards how far the showers will go when heavy enough :)
    yup see them on the radar Dannow, they came in just south of me, parts of North Wexford are very very white now I hear.

And while I'm at it its snowing here now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

so far this isnt going nearly as well as hoped i think, the lack of any precipitatin over the irish sea is worrying, this happened a few times before where we had an easterly and for some reason the irish sea produced nothing unless a system tracked its way to england and then across to us... lets hope that the system mentioned heading towards england makes it here but that mighnt happen till friday.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote:
    so far this isnt going nearly as well as hoped i think, the lack of any precipitatin over the irish sea is worrying, this happened a few times before where we had an easterly and for some reason the irish sea produced nothing unless a system tracked its way to england and then across to us... lets hope that the system mentioned heading towards england makes it here but that mighnt happen till friday.

Gonzo what am i going to do with you :D
    First the "proper" cold air is not here yet.
    The air over the Irish sea is not much colder than the sea temp itself.
    Thus there is a limitation on the convection.

The fact that convection is occuring at all with the temp contrast that there is now should be very encouraging for the next few days , given that the air will be from a colder source.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement